6 replies to this topic

#1 Smile

Smile

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:12 PM

so surnames as first names.. what do you think of them?

the other day i saw a poll that said i usually like surnames as first names for boys. so i searched some surnames because my brain just couldnt think (what else is new) and there were so many names that just seem so common to me, and i was so ignorant that they were first last names, though i should have known, names like keegan fit under this and this and others really surprised me.

how do you feel about surnames as first names??
do you have favorites??

i for one, like them for some of the time, but find in some cases it is just strange. if some surnames really don't work but it has meaning, i would like it used as a middle name, but otherwise i don't mind most surnames on boys and i think actually that most of them do work.

how do you all feeL?

#2 destiny

destiny

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:05 PM

I like quite a few surnames as first names..

Mackenzie
Jamison
Ellis/Ellison
Carter
Elliot
Delainey/Delaney
alot of common first names are also surnames like
Marcus
Elliot
Mitchell
Randall
Everett
Jackson
Marshall
Taylor
Martin

Some as you say aren't the best in my opinion like
McAllister
Donahue
Barton
Kessler
but at one time it was tradition to use the mother or grandmothers maiden name as
a middle name for one or more of the sons...
I had an Uncle named David Dinnage.. Dinnage being his grandmother's maiden name.
I always kinda liked it, maybe that is where my penchant for unusual names comes from.

#3 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:I LOVE reading. I'm into almost every genre and generally read a book a week, if possible. I like Iris Johansen, Karen Marie Moning, Stephen King, James Patterson, Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, Diana Gabaldon, Kathy Reichs, and Robert Burns (every Scot's favorite author). I really love music and even got accepted to the Mason Gross School of Performing Arts at Rutgers University (my alma mater) for vocal performance. Unfortunately performance life was not for me, so I went into English Lit and French instead. Music is still a big part of my life, and I like a multitude of musical genres from Reggae to Rock to Opera. I've seen Carmen and La bohème each twice. (And I cry every time.) My husband and I also have a special place in our hearts for The Beatles.

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:56 AM

I'm not a big fan of the surnames as first names thing, especially on girls. But I do have an uncle (my grandparents' first child) who's name is Carson MacPherson. Carson was my grandmother's maiden name. For instances like this I think using a surname as a first name is fine.

#4 Guest_bellasbellas_*

Guest_bellasbellas_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:09 PM

As long as it sounds good, I like it.

Ash
Beck
Bradford
Bradley
Bryant
Chance
Chase
Cline
Coel
Dawson
Dean
Earl
Grant
Hanley
Hanson
Harlow
Harper
Hunter
Irving
Jackson
Janson
Joyner
Keen
Mercer
Merrick
Nelson
Oakley
Oliver
Payne
Presley
Russell
Ryder
Slater
Spencer
Tate
Turner
Tucker
Vann
Verity
Waller
Warren
Wescott
Winter
Wilson

And many, many , many more! LOL.

#5 BabysMama

BabysMama

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:36 PM

I love surnames - mainly for boys. My dad got his name from my Grandma's maiden name, Riley. I also love the names Jackson and Lincoln.

#6 ~Liz~

~Liz~

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:My top peeve is when people use offensive, sacrilegious names that are supposedly Native American but aren't, just to be cool. Please, ASK about the culture before you name your kid Dakota, Cheyenne, Nayeli, etc.

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:45 PM

I absolutely love surnames as first names, only for boy's though. The whole idea of surnames as first names is a tradition you know. It goes back to upper class Ivy League families, who were proud of their family heritage. When the parents had children, it was common for them to give their child the mother's maiden name as a first name.

I am not into the "common" surnames as first names, like Tyler, Jackson, etc. I like more uncommon ones.

Some of my favorites:

Beaumont
Brooks
Chamberlain
Hamilton
Preston
Randolph
Rembrandt
Vanderbilt
York

#7 Jellybean

Jellybean

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Interests:-Watching movies<br />-Reading (specially poetry)<br />-Writing<br />-Playing with my daughter<br />-Travelling<br />-Learning different languages

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:40 PM

I love surenames as first names!
Last names were actually invented because there were many people with the same name,so if there were two Lillys-one with blonde hair and the other one with black hair,they would get called Lilly Blonde Hair and Lilly Black Hair.That's why all last names have a meaning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users