22 replies to this topic

#1 ~Nadezhda

~Nadezhda

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:03 AM

A few days ago I went out for ice cream with my best friend, and we stopped at a pet store.
I saw a bunch of tiny bunnies in a cage, and I fell in love with a honey-colored one.

Yesterday I went back to buy it on a whim and... it wasn't there anymore :) I really, really wanted that one because white bunnies are so common and I ... well, I tend to do things backwards and all different from most people. I wanted something different.

I didn't give up though. I went back today, and alas, no honey colored bunnies. I asked the owner if there would be some coming, and he said no.
BUT. There was one bunny, one tiny adorable bunny, white with honey-colored ears and a few honey spots on his back.
I went home, certain I shouldn't buy it, but the more my sister insisted, the more I thought about how cute it is.
And I decided to go back and adopt it! <3 I am so excited!

Of course there's a point in me telling you all this: my bunny will need a name.
It seems easy enough, but no. My bunny needs a special name :)

I don't know if it's a He or a She. It's white with honey ears and a few spots on the back.
I don't like typical or cutesy names for pets [ie. Fluffy, Mittens, Furball etc.]. That is really important.
I love weighty names and mythological names, that might seem a little too heavy to use on a baby or impractical for a person -- I think they become extremely adorable on pets.
And I also love names from books and such. Maybe something to do with the tv show Bones!

Sooo I was thinking Dante if the bunny is a He {I love the poet Dante Alighieri} or Harriet if it's a She {like Harry Potter! :)}

But I want ideas, the more the better.
Please help name my little ball of flull.

Ps. Names I was thinking about are Apollo, Casper, Linus, Merlin and Achille for male.
Dorothy, Ofelia, Harriet, Cassandra, Agatha and Iris for a female.

#2 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,160 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:10 AM

I love Dante! (Dante's inferno?) :]

And Harriet for a bunny is ADORABLE.

My favourites ;D

Cassandra and Linus are my second pick :] ♥

#3 ~Nadezhda

~Nadezhda

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:26 AM

YASS!! Yes, Dante's inferno is what I'm talking about --not the video game, the POEM! :)
And Harriet is super cute, I just wanted something a little easier to pronounce in Italian [like, you know, for my family xD] and maybe shorter.

Do you think Bones is too obvious & "pet name-y"?

#4 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:16 AM

Love Dante! <3 <3 <3

And Harriet would be nice, but I also see it as a cutesy petsy name, personally. But that's cause brother's friend's little sister had a cat named Harriet because it had really long hair :D

I adore Ofelia, though I have liked the name for a while :D Hamlet the book amused me, and I read a thing about Ophelia and it made me love the name! So, I automatically love the name, hehe <3

I think Agatha as a bunnies name sounds really cute to though <3 love it!

~ Haddie

#5 Lazuli

Lazuli

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:34 PM

Usagi. LOL. It's Japanese for bunny. That was the first thing I thought of!

I like Dante! I don't know why but I like it for a bunny.

You can try Beatrice if it's a girl. Since you have Dante, might as well go with Beatrice. You can call her Bea. Or Trixie like Trix the Rabbit. LOL. Yeah...I'm weird >.>

#6 Elle W

Elle W

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Art History, Astrology, Baby Names!, Board Games, Books, CAD, Cheerleading, Cooking, Etymology, Extreme Sports, Family, Fashion, Friends, Linguistics, Marketing, Native Americans, Philosophy, Psychology, SEO, Web Development &amp; Design, Writing

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:46 AM

I absolutely adore Harriet as a bunny name!

I'm also a fan of Barney and Merlin for a boy bunny, and Clementine for a girl bunny.

My family raises rabbits actually, but we don't name any of them. Maybe we ought to start...

#7 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

• Super Moderators
  • 12,160 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:12 AM

Bones is actually perfect!

It's absolutely adorable! Cute and not as boring as Caramel or Fluffy! :]

Clementine is also gorgeous ;D

I'm thinking prn. wise that maybe Beatrice would be easier to prn. than Harriet?

But Bones is utterly perfect in my eyes! ♥

#8 ~Nadezhda

~Nadezhda

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:43 AM

Well well well... we got her!
I was a little bummed I couldn't use my poet's name, but I got over it quickly seeing at how adorable she is.
We tried with Penelope, but it's a bit long... [which is why we didn't go for Beatrice, either. Also, I want to name a daughter that! :P]

Her name is Viola, as chosen by my little sister Flavia :D It's prn. vee-OH-la .

I'll post a picture as soon as I can! <3<3

PS. @ElleW. Since your family raises rabbits, do you have any insight or advice for keeping one indoor? The shop owner gave me a little cage with a handful of hay. It's small, so I won't be keeping her in there for long -- I'm planning to buy a bigger one as soon as I can. But I don't know whether she should live in there permanently or I should let her out. I let her out most of the day yesterday (in my room), and she left quite a few "presents" on the floor. I'm not sure what I should do..?

#9 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

• Super Moderators
  • 12,160 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:43 AM

I. am. in. ♥

#10 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 11 December 2010 - 02:07 PM

Awww, Viola is adorable! Love it!

~ Hadds

#11 ~Nadezhda

~Nadezhda

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:21 PM

I. am. in. ♥

You're gonna be my long-distance support group, then, Yas..? <3
I'll have to show her off to you... you're gonna be smitten! She's such a cutie <3

#12 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

• Super Moderators
  • 12,160 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:27 PM

Heheh HELLLS to the yeah! :]

N'awh I bet she is :]]]

I adore Rabbits ♥

Shame my step-daddy accidentally got our last one killed :'[

#13 -TebowTime-

-TebowTime-

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,472 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:49 PM

umm, I like Caspian for a bunny. I don't know why...... lol

#14 Elle W

Elle W

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Art History, Astrology, Baby Names!, Board Games, Books, CAD, Cheerleading, Cooking, Etymology, Extreme Sports, Family, Fashion, Friends, Linguistics, Marketing, Native Americans, Philosophy, Psychology, SEO, Web Development &amp; Design, Writing

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:53 PM

PS. @ElleW. Since your family raises rabbits, do you have any insight or advice for keeping one indoor? The shop owner gave me a little cage with a handful of hay. It's small, so I won't be keeping her in there for long -- I'm planning to buy a bigger one as soon as I can. But I don't know whether she should live in there permanently or I should let her out. I let her out most of the day yesterday (in my room), and she left quite a few "presents" on the floor. I'm not sure what I should do..?

Definitely buy a bigger one when you can, bunnies need a lot of room. Not just for themselves, but for the stuff you put in there... their food dish, water bowl, a litter box. Rabbits can learn to use a litter box, just like any housecat. So if you'd like to not have so many 'presents', perhaps you can look into training her to use a litter box. Also toys, rabbits like things to play with and nibble on, like pine cones and toilet paper tubes, nothing treated with chemicals though please. And definitely let her out of the cage, bunnies get depressed when they are cooped up in their cage all day. You don't have to let her out all day, just designate a certain time during the morning or night when she can be out for an hour or two to socialize and exercise her legs.

And... Viola is an adorable name <3

#15 ~Nadezhda

~Nadezhda

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:13 AM

Surprise, surprise!
The Vet came around yesterday for a visit and guess what?

...Viola is not a girl after all! :)
LOL, when the doctor told me so matter-of-factly, I just couldn't stop laughing!

We no longer have a Viola then... my Bunny is officially Dante.

*wink* ;)

#16 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:54 AM

Haha, that's funny! :)

Dante is a great boy bunnies name! Love it! <3

Though, Viola was a pretty awesome girl bunnies name!

~ Hadds

#17 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

• Super Moderators
  • 12,160 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:20 PM

YAY!
Dante ;)

That's hilarious!!
I think I'd be on the floor crying with laughter! :)
Did he have a sudden sex change?
-wink-

I'm in love.

#18 Malligal

Malligal

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,005 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Art, Writing, Books, Movies, Music, Concerts, Travel, Maps, Road trips

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:58 PM

Aww! I love the name Dante! :) I want a pet rabbit too! ;)

#19 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:20 PM

Surprise, surprise!
The Vet came around yesterday for a visit and guess what?

...Viola is not a girl after all! :)
LOL, when the doctor told me so matter-of-factly, I just couldn't stop laughing!

We no longer have a Viola then... my Bunny is officially Dante.

*wink* ;)

That happened to several of my pets...we were told they were female/male and then found out the opposite.

We had a cat named Fluffy that turned out to be a boy so we gave him the more manly name Tommy.
A rooster named Rudy that turned out to be a hen...so my mom changed her name to Ruby.
And a hamster that we were told was a female. Then the dog got it and killed it. But the other hamster had babies a few days later so we realized that it would have had to been a male. I don't remember what its name was :\

#20 ~Nadezhda

~Nadezhda

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:43 PM

That's hilarious!!
I think I'd be on the floor crying with laughter! ;)
Did he have a sudden sex change?
-wink-

I'm in love.

Haha, I was just about to die, right there in front of the vet! It was a convulsive fit of laughter :P

Apparently, it's not very clear when bunnies are babies, but growing up, it's easier to see the specific body parts :)

Anyways, I'm glad you like the name ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users