Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Names
    Reading
    Writing

Posted 19 October 2014 - 09:36 PM

I really like the spelling of Eion (pn Ian) it has definitely turned into one of my guilty pleasures.  Is there any names that you love a unique spelling of?  I also like the Irish spelling of Eoghan.  What are some unique name spelling you have seen that you dislike?  One of my least favorite is the adding extra Y.  For example I met a girl named Byntley.  (pronounced Bentley)

#2 RMC9514

RMC9514

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:23 PM

The only spellings that come to mind are Niamh (Neve) and Caoimhe (Keeva.) I still like the spelling Neve, but changing Caoimhe to Keeva takes something away from the name for me.

I also prefer the spelling Lewis to Louis. Louis gets pronounced like Louie a lot. Lewis is just less confusing.

I don't like the C-to-K trend. Changing Caleb to Kaleb and Courtney to Kourtney just seems silly.

I really dislike the unnecessary Y. I mentored in a kindergarten classroom for a few years in high school. A few names I remember:

Kynadie (Kennedy)

Owyn (Owen- this was a girl. I actually like Owen on a girl; it's a guilty pleasure. But spelling it Owyn is ridiculous.)

Lileeana

Rayleigh (it was pronounced REE-LYE, which didn't make any sense.)

#3 Annie S.

Annie S.

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:23 PM

Ok. I love alternate spellings as long as you can still sorta tell what they name is without staring for five minutes. I actually have a more uncommon spelling for my name. (It's still an actual spelling, just the lest common one for the USA.). My name isn't Annie, that's just the nickname I like to go by online.

Some alternate spellings I like:
Kaden (instead of Caden/Kaiden)
Katelyn (instead of Caitlin/Kaitlyn/etc.
Karson (instead of Carson)
Rylie/Rylee (instead of Riley)

Really crazy ones are a no, but I like alternate spellings like the ones listed above.

#4 TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, baking, theatre, horseback riding, being with my family and friends, baby names

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:11 PM

I really like "Eoin" (pronounced Owen) and different Irish names. I agree with OP, I hate it when people add an extra 'y' instead of an 'e', because it just looks weird to me. The same goes for extra 'z's (like Jazzmyn) or extra 'k's (like Zakkary). But to each their own!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spelling, Guilty pleasures, different, unique

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users