3 replies to this topic

#1 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:08 PM

So I've liked the name Sidda for a while now...pretty much ever since I saw the movie Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood, in which the character Siddalee "Sidda" is played by Sandra Bullock.

Lately I've been thinking a lot about Sidda. I think it would be a cute name for a girl but I'm not sure it is first name material...I see it as more of a nickname. So I've been thinking of first names that could give me the nn Sidda. I like Siddalee but its a bit too sweet, southern, cutesy for my taste.

What I've come up with so far...

Lucinda/Lucida nn Sidda - when you say it quickly the N is kinda overpowered by the D so I could see using the nn Sidda for Lucinda. However, my sister choose the name Luci for my neice so I don't think I could use the name Lucinda, plus I'm not a huge fan of Lucinda anyway. Sounds a bit too much like the name of an evil witch (Wasn't Lucinda a witch in one of the disney movies?)

Sidonie/Sidony nn Sidda - I'm a little confused on the pron. of this one...I want to say SID oh nee which would make the nn Sidda sort of make sense...however when I looked up the pron. its more like See DOE nee which for me is kinda awkward to say :\
Then there is a variant of Sidony, Sydney nn Sidda - no problems on pron. here. I like but it doesn't connect as much to the nn Sidda for me plus Sydney is a name that doesn't really need a nickname.

Sydelle nn Sidda - Again I was a little confused on pron. I would have thought Sydelle was pron. with SYD (like Sydney) and delle (like Adele). However looking up the pron. I found it was pron. SI (like Sirus) and DUL (rhymes with Sybil) kinda like reCITAL. So the nn Sidda doesn't really make sense.

Any other ideas? Thoughts on these?

#2 Mika Casey

Mika Casey

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:28 PM

What about Sidney | Sydney or Sedona? (:

#3 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:24 PM

I like Sidonie. I read a book with a a character called that in it. Her nn was Sido. I've always said it as SID OH NEE.

#4 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:52 PM

I always knew Sidney's to be spelled this way, besides like Sydney Australia. But the girls named this always spelled it Sidney, from whom I've known :D And this spelling would defintely connect to Sidda as a nick name!!! and always pronounced sid-knee from what I've know... never known a see-do-nee or anything. So Sid would work perfectly! All Sidneys I've know had the nick name Sid, so Sidda would be unique and pretty :)

Hope this helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users