• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Charity

Charity

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Interests:More than anything else in the world I love being with my family, which includes my amazing husband and our three gorgeous daughters. We are currently expecting number four, and are so excited! I am of course a mother first, but I am a writer second. I am a nut about names and etymology in general. I love reading; I’m a sucker for both the more modern fantasy books, like Harry Potter, and the also classics, like Shakespeare. Music is another thing that I could’ve live without, and I have to say my tastes definitely lean towards modern rock: Nickelback, Hinder, Papa Roach, and Theory of a Deadman are my very favorites. Not too big on television, but I couldn’t live without Lost. I also love cars (and driving them!), and I am the proud “mommy” of a Ford Mustang. I’m also pretty big on talking and I like to see myself as friendly, so I hope to see you around the boards!

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:28 PM

So while working on some writing this morning, I had another idea for a thread cross my mind. Are there any names out there that mean something special to you? Not even necessarily names that you love or would use on your child, but names that are just somehow important to you; just names that are from your family, your childhood, your memories… anything at all.

I think as far as personal significance to me, the name Gavin means the absolute most. Before my dad died, he and my mom were really trying for another baby and he’d already picked out that name for a boy; it was his favorite. If Josh and I are ever blessed with a little boy, I think I’m going to have to work it in somehow. My mom’s still pretty touchy about it, but I think she’d approve… I just have to think of how to work Jake, Austin and Gavin all into one name.

Another name that’s pretty important to me is Misty, as unbelievable as that may sound -- it doesn’t seem to be the most popular name, from what I’ve seen over the years. But I started writing when I was six years old and that was the name of the first character I actually created from scratch, and I still have a (heavily modified, of course -- I was only a kid! :D) version of her in a lot of my writings. I wouldn’t use the name on my kids, but it still means a lot to me.

Aside from those two, it’s mainly just the family names… Jake, Austin, Emily, Nicole and Helena, all for obvious reasons. And of course my girls' names are all extremely important to me :lol:

You guys shouldn’t let me make threads… I always ramble incessantly…

#2 Lish4042

Lish4042

Epic Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:11 PM

Karen, Mary, Rosemary, and Elizabeth are all meaningful names to me. They are mine and my husband's grandmother's names. My grandmother Karen lived with my family for 12 years and was always there for me, and my other grandmother although I didn't see her much was always very special to me. My husband feels the same about his grandmothers.

Roger is the only boy name that has real meaning to me, it was my grandfather's name. He was my dad's step dad but my dad considered him his father. He was the only real grandfather I ever felt like I had, he treated me like I was the best thing in the world. My other grandfather's were never close to me.

My husband and I are thinking about using the name Kara Elizabeth (kara for karen) if we have a little girl. I don't think I would ever use Mary or Rosemary, possibly Rose or Marie. I don't like the name Roger but I have thought about using the name Rory or Ryan.

#3 Danni

Danni

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 694 posts
  • Interests:I love reading...Romance and fantasy novels mostly, though I do get into some other genres every now and then. I also LOVE music...Mainly older music, but some newer stuff, also. I LOVE the Beatles! They are the greatest! lol. I also love to just drive around in my car...And shopping! When Ihave money, I LOVE to shop!

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:05 PM

Veronica and Klyde.

I hate those names, but when I was 12, they were the main characters (Veronica Chains and Klyde Walker) of a story I wrote. It was the first story I'd ever completed, and though I would never consider publishing it or rewriting it, they were very important for me. They were the reason I started writing and the reason I continue writing. I love them! I still have those old notebooks with those stories, too!

Another name important to me is Marcy. Miss Marcy was my English teacher my sophomore year and my Speech and Debate coach, and she was one of the very important people in my life. She was an amazing teacher and an amazing woman who I care deeply about.

#4 Charity

Charity

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 706 posts
  • Interests:More than anything else in the world I love being with my family, which includes my amazing husband and our three gorgeous daughters. We are currently expecting number four, and are so excited! I am of course a mother first, but I am a writer second. I am a nut about names and etymology in general. I love reading; I’m a sucker for both the more modern fantasy books, like Harry Potter, and the also classics, like Shakespeare. Music is another thing that I could’ve live without, and I have to say my tastes definitely lean towards modern rock: Nickelback, Hinder, Papa Roach, and Theory of a Deadman are my very favorites. Not too big on television, but I couldn’t live without Lost. I also love cars (and driving them!), and I am the proud “mommy” of a Ford Mustang. I’m also pretty big on talking and I like to see myself as friendly, so I hope to see you around the boards!

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:50 PM

My husband and I are thinking about using the name Kara Elizabeth (kara for karen) if we have a little girl.

I think naming a little girl Kara Elizabeth for them would be wonderful, and the names sound stunning together :lol: Good luck!

#5 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:I LOVE reading. I'm into almost every genre and generally read a book a week, if possible. I like Iris Johansen, Karen Marie Moning, Stephen King, James Patterson, Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, Diana Gabaldon, Kathy Reichs, and Robert Burns (every Scot's favorite author). I really love music and even got accepted to the Mason Gross School of Performing Arts at Rutgers University (my alma mater) for vocal performance. Unfortunately performance life was not for me, so I went into English Lit and French instead. Music is still a big part of my life, and I like a multitude of musical genres from Reggae to Rock to Opera. I've seen Carmen and La bohème each twice. (And I cry every time.) My husband and I also have a special place in our hearts for The Beatles.

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:15 AM

Katherine was my grandmother's name (on my dad's side). Edward is my dad's and grandfather's name. I really like the idea of using either of these names as middle names for my kids. Maybe Olivia Katherine and (of course) James Edward. We'll have to see...

#6 Charity

Charity

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 706 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:20 AM

I love Olivia Katherine and James Edward both :lol: They're absolutely perfect, I think.

#7 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:I LOVE reading. I'm into almost every genre and generally read a book a week, if possible. I like Iris Johansen, Karen Marie Moning, Stephen King, James Patterson, Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, Diana Gabaldon, Kathy Reichs, and Robert Burns (every Scot's favorite author). I really love music and even got accepted to the Mason Gross School of Performing Arts at Rutgers University (my alma mater) for vocal performance. Unfortunately performance life was not for me, so I went into English Lit and French instead. Music is still a big part of my life, and I like a multitude of musical genres from Reggae to Rock to Opera. I've seen Carmen and La bohème each twice. (And I cry every time.) My husband and I also have a special place in our hearts for The Beatles.

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:27 AM

The only problem now is giving up Alana Hazel and Henry Royden. Not to mention getting Brian to agree :lol: Silly man; he thinks that he should have a say in these matters, lol.

#8 Charity

Charity

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 706 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:30 AM

They always do :lol: Good thing for us that they're generally wrong about everything... Josh and I went back and forth for a good two months, arguing over Victory and Victoire; look how that turned out in the end! :P

Alana Hazel and Henry Royden are both stunning too, though. Whatever you guys choose, I know it'll be gorgeous :D

#9 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:33 AM

Aww... thanks hon!

#10 Kate

Kate

Star Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:59 AM

Ellen is very meaningful to me as it was my mother's name. When I was pregnant with Helena we seriously considered it, but knowing how she hated her name (she went by her middle name, Jane) we decided to look up some variants - and thus found Helena.

A name that brings me great childhood memories is Laura, it was the name of one of my closest friends in my early teens. Unfortunately when we were about 14 she became anorexic and began hanging out with the wrong people, and because of that her parents and her moved. We saw each other a few times after that, but things had become a bit strained and we didn't feel as comfortable round each other as we used to.

Although I don't particularly care for the name, Renato also brings nice memories - he was Italian (but blonde and green-eyed, lol) and my first crush. Then I fancied a boy named Gabriel (still love the name) for two or three years, but he never saw me as more than a friend. Nowadays we don't see each other much, but still get along.

#11 Alexis!

Alexis!

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Bones
    Mysteries
    Baking
    Photography
    Science
    Writing
    Reading

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:57 AM

Well, the names Arthur, Eileen, Bonnie, Vivian and France mean the most.

My uncle Arthur was one of the greatest people ever. He died 2 years ago of something heart and lung related and i miss him a ton! He left his 3 daughters, a wife, and 2 granddaughters, one he never even got to meet, behind. My aunt Eileen past 3 months after him from breat cancer. She was one aunt i knew i could go too with anything. She left behind my two cousins, Rebecca and Alex. I don't remember much about my aunt Bonnie and aunt Vivian. They died when i was little, also from cancer. My aunt Bonnie had 3 kids, Fran, Scott and Robbie. My aunt Viv had 2 daughters, Cindy and Lisa. My uncle Frank...i miss him prolly the most. if not...close to it. he died when i was 5 of lung cancer. it was horrible for my family. he didnt have kids, but his wife, my aunt linda, lives with us now. plus he was my brothers godfather.

other names include Alexandra ||my first best friend|| Ashton ||my current best friend|| stephanie ||my BEST BEST friend|| Tammy ||my mom|| and Austin ||my brother and biggest fan||.

Sarah is also huge. My friend Sarah, though I haven't know her all that long, is one of the best people I have in my life. I can pretty much tell her anything and have her flip for 5 straight minutes then she accepts it and helps me deal in any way she can.

#12 JENN2688

JENN2688

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 12:26 AM

Names that are meaningful to me that I would use are:

I would like to name a daughter Mindy Sue, I know its outdated but it honors my great-grandmother on my fathers side,(Mindy) and my grandma, mom's mother (Sue). I have always wanted to use these names. I would also consider Tressie, fathers mother (granny) and Faye after my mother whose name is Cindy Faye. These are of great significane to me and if not used together, will most likely be used as middle names. I would love to use the name Jack after my grandpa b/c he is the only one I have ever known and is very special to me. I have also considered using the name Sage for a daughter b/c my first ever boyfriend, his last name was Sage and he will always be dear to me. I am rambling too much but these are the names that I would consider using!
:)

#13 rhaego

rhaego

Epic Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 04:46 AM

My mother's name - Lisa - is incredibly special to me. She is one of the strongest people I know and has fought a lifetime battle with MS and has yet to give up, despite terrible odds. She's an inspiration to everyone who meets her and I don't mean that lightly. People who have met her once are always sending her cards and telling her all about their lives and caring about her deeply. I don't think I would name my child Lisa though, because it was picked out (obviously) by her mother who is, unfortunately, one of the most horrible people I know. I love the name Annalisa, however, and would happily accomodate one of my favorite names (Anna Madeleine) to name my child that. Annalisa Madeleine might even sound better than plain Anna. :]

My father's name is Joseph Patrick, and one of his brother's is James. I would love nothing better than to name my son after my daddy, but I'm not fond of Joseph. Patrick, however, I love. James (he goes by Jim, actually), has been a big help in my life. He's extremely nice and generous to everybody. He is even helping pay for my college in the fall. I don't think I could get a name better than James Patrick.

Kimberly Ann is the name of my favorite aunt and my best friend. My aunt has been there for me like a mother when my mom can't be. She may live in a different state and have a hectic life, but she makes a point of calling me to see how I'm doing and I know that she'd be one of the first people I'd turn to in a bad situation. My friend and I have such an incredible bond. I know there's millions of teenage girls out there that say they're going to be friends with their current friends forever, but I would go to any means to acheive it in this case. She's taught me what it's like to trust a person wholeheartedly with everything in your life. We've both been through a lot of stuff that has caused damge in our lives (like everyone - I mean, who hasn't?) and we're able to show all the cracks to each other and trust them to know when they can fix the cracks or when they just need to be there.

And the name Scott. I don't even want to go into this story, but the name will forever be tied to so many emotions for me. Love, acceptance, friendship, trust, happiness, lust, anger, betrayal, abandonment, regret, and just about anything else you could think of. He was pretty must a catalyst for all the changes that have made me who I am today. Still today, every Scott I meet will never take on their own personality in my mind. There's only one Scott in my world and I'm pretty sure it'll be that way until I'm gone. I would never, ever use it on my child.

Wow..I'm sorry about the rambling! The names really do evoke quite a bit of emotion in me. :]

#14 Sylvana

Sylvana

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 591 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 01:33 PM

My fathers middle name Alexander is very special to me. He passed away almost 4 years ago. If I wll ever get a boy, his middle name will be Alexander.

#15 Jennifer

Jennifer

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Interests:I am a widow, I have 5 children, 3 at home still. Right now they keep me too busy to have my own interests or at least to give them much time. I do love taking pictures and changing backgrounds etc on the computer. I read when I get a chance.

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:42 AM

Most of the names that mean something to me are family names..
Victor, Anton, Elizabeth (the only one I actually used), Dallas, Evaline.

Ryan, Courtney and Michaela are names I have loved for years but wasnt
able to use.

#16 Alexis!

Alexis!

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Bones
    Mysteries
    Baking
    Photography
    Science
    Writing
    Reading

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:56 PM

My aunt named her first daughter Raelynn Nicole. Rae and Lynn were her sisters. Rae died in a car accident young and Lynn had cancer. Nicole was her mom who died a few days before she had the baby. She used her daughter to honor them all. I think thats soo cool.

My neighbors name is Alicia Celeste, Celeste after her aunt who died when she was 13 or 14.

#17 amandagayle151

amandagayle151

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:16 AM

My grandmother was Virginia Lucille and she basically raised my brother and I during my childhood summers while my parents worked. I'm considering using Lucy and/or Virginia to honor her. Lucy is also my boyfriend's grandmother's name, so I think it would be perfect for us to use :P

My grandfather is Richard Samuel, and I am considering Samuel to honor him.

Wesley is a family surname that I would consider.

On the other side of my family, there aren't as many I'd consider, but Austin and Peyton are possibilities (though these have become kind of trendy recently and there are lots of little Austins and Peytons, both male and female, running around on my family tree at the moment).

Friends-wise, I'd consider Emily (or a variant) to honor my best friend.

From my boyfriend's side of the family, other than Lucy, I'm not sure what I'd consider. He's not especially close to either of his parents, his brother is named after their father (Benjamin) and while that could be used again it's not really a favorite. I think he would be more apt to consider a Biblical name to honor his faith than honoring a specific family member. I could be wrong, but we'll just have to deal with that in the future :P

#18 Jellybean

Jellybean

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 635 posts
  • Interests:-Watching movies<br />-Reading (specially poetry)<br />-Writing<br />-Playing with my daughter<br />-Travelling<br />-Learning different languages

Posted 11 August 2008 - 04:43 PM

My little girl's name.
Saoirse(meaning freedom) I picked very early on.DH and I got married at a young age to be free from rules,parents...and we always had that feeling of living inside a cage.So,basically Saoirse was our freedom.

Mila (her middle name; mai.lah)was in honor of grandma Mila (mee.lah),who is a wonderful woman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users