17 replies to this topic

#1 Lish4042

Lish4042

Epic Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:49 PM

Do you like or dislike names with nicknames? Why? Also are there specific names you like and ones you don't like? Share them all!

#2 Sprinkles

Sprinkles

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:55 PM

I usually like names that have nicknames. It's just fun to have a nickname imo. Sometimes, especially with longer names, it just seems too formal or impersonal to use the whole name. I love the name Daniel with the nn Danny. There are some names I love, but I despise the commonly used nicknames. I like Victoria but don't care for Vicky or Tori, the same goes with Bennett..I really dislike the name Ben.

#3 Lish4042

Lish4042

Epic Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:14 AM

I agree about it being fun to have a nickname be called. I also don't like the nn that follow Victoria. I feel if your going to name your child a name with a nn you have to like it too because someone will call them by it.

#4 Bridgette and Emmett

Bridgette and Emmett

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:42 PM

I agree with the others that it's fun to have a nn, but I have never cared for Abigail being called Abby, or Bethany being called Beth. I've never been fond of Elizabeth being called Eliza or Beth. I've always preferred Leese and Lizzie for Elizabeth. I love the nn Winnie for Gwenith, though. It's cute, and when she gets older, she can switch to Gwen. Ok, enough of my rambling, I'd better stop.

#5 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:14 PM

I think it depends on the name...I LOVE some names like Evie which would normally be a nn for something else but sometimes I dont like the longer more formal names. I think that if I really like the longer formal name and I like the nn then it makes me love the name even more. I think that, to me, nn are important because me and my sisters all have nicknames, but they are not essential, there are some names that I just like that aren't nn and I like them better than any nn they could have.

#6 Guest_toribethh_*

Guest_toribethh_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:12 PM

I love names that have nicknames. My name is Victoria and I go by Tori and I hated my full name when I was little but now as I'm getting older I really like having the option of my more formal name. I have a cousin who's name is Daniel and his mother hates the nn Danny and freaks out when his friends call him Danny or Dan. I agree that you have to consider nn when choosing your baby's name and if you don't like the nn then maybe you should choose a different name. Some of my favorite names with nicknames are for girls..
Demitria nn. Demi
Elizabeth nn. Liza
Anastasia nn. Annie
Katarina nn. Kat
Vaslissa (Lissa)
Samantha (Sam)
Veronica (Ronni)
Gabriella (Gabby)
Aurora (Rory)
Olivia (Liv)
Talia (Tally)
Margaret (Maggie)
Aerilyn (Aeri)
Arabella (Bella)

and for boys..
Jasper (Jazz)
Dominick (Dom)
Anthony (Tony)
Andrew (Andy)
Tyson (Ty)
Elijah (Eli)
Ezekiel (Zeke)
Donavan (Van)
Finnegan (Finn)
Jackson (Jack)
Jakob (Jake)
Joshua (Josh)
Samuel (Sam)
Timothy (Tim)
Trenton (Trent)

#7 Cadence & Nathan

Cadence & Nathan

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:53 PM

I think the whole nn thing is so weird because some people like them some don't. Like for example, my uncle ALWAYS calls me Cady. I have NEVER been called Cady, it's always been Cadence. Also, my boyfriend Nathan never goes by Nate. He doesn't like it. He likes Nathan. I dunno, I think it's kind of humorous!! :unsure:

#8 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 09 February 2009 - 06:40 PM

I like nn's! I think its a fun way to adress your friends, like a special way of showing them you love them, but a longer name to be formal with! Like my friends call me Haydie, Had's, Denny, etc. but my boss calls me Hayden. Sometimes Taylor (forgetting thats my last name instead of my first) :unsure: Though people do that a lot. Or call me Haddie-Taylor. Anyways, I like these names with their nn's:
Jacqueline-Jackie
Kathryn-Kate, Katie, Kathy, Kit, Kit-kat, Kat, Katty, Kitty, Ryn, Rynnie
Remington-Remi
Declan-Ducky/Decky
Tessa-Tess
Allison-Allie
William-Will, Liam
Alyssa-Aly
Nicole-Nikki, Nick, Cole, Coco, Colie
Alexander-Xan
Serenity-Seri
Rebecca-Becca, Bex, Rebby
Alexis-Lexi
Gabriella-ReeRee
Ruby-Roo
Elizabeth-Liz, Libby, Eliza
Alizah-Ali
I have a long list, but here's some of it!

#9 Liz88

Liz88

Baby Namer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:I love spending time with my children and my husband. I don't get to volunteer as much as I would like to in my kids' schools now that I'm having twins but I would like to once I have them.<br />I like to garden, scrapbook, knit, and go to the beach.<br />I'm currently working on getting a blog...I'll update you on that later :D

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:54 PM

In my family, at least, we have nicknames for a person until they ask us to stop:D It's a respect thing, I guess.
Elizabeth-Liz or Libby...NEVER Beth
Matthew-Matt or Matty[that's a me only one though:D]
Isobel-Izzy
Bryce-Bry [my nephew named his son Bryce also...which gets confusing]
Sydney-Syd
Peyton-Po [his initials...Peyton Oliver]
Henry-just Henry
Adrian-doesn't have one YET

Those are just ones in my family...

#10 BrizeeBoo

BrizeeBoo

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:15 PM

I like nicknames until they get out of hand

My family's nick names:

Brianna(me): Brizee(Bree-zee), or Bri or Brizee-boo.. NEVER anna or Brizee-bop(i used to be called Brizee-bop by my dad but after he died i wouldnt let anyone call me tht)
Carrie(little sister):Care or Care-bear or Ree
Mom:Mimzey
Robert(older brother):Robbie or Bob(hes 26)
Stephany(sis in law): Steph....NOT STEPHY
Jordan-Alexander(nephew).Jordey
we call my boyfriend Derek Derry-just to annoy him sometimes but only in a joking way....he does it to us sometimes too

Brizee

#11 Danielle_Monique

Danielle_Monique

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:17 PM

I happen to actually like nicknames. I think that nn are just for fun. I don't like the use of nn as given fn or mn, though. Most times nn are used in family and friends setting.

#12 X-Lexxii-X

X-Lexxii-X

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:24 PM

I LOVE nicknames. They can make a name unique. Everbody calls me Lexxii which I love because I hate Alexis. My best friend, Tamara, shortens her name to Maz (no idea why, I was six when I started calling her Maz!) My sister, Savannah has Sav or Anna as a nickname and her daughter, Nadine-Khloe, has NK, Nad, Nadie or Khlo as her nicknames. But I really don't like it when a nickname gets used for a forname.

#13 Guest_Evy_*

Guest_Evy_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:29 AM

My family is a bit strange since most of us have short names.
My oldest daughter's name is Evy.
My son's name is Noah.
My newborn daughter's name is Isobel (Izzy).

My name is Zayda, and we've never found a nickname for me.
My husband's name is Brian and his Mom still calls him Bri Bri. (You should see his face color up red when she does! :P )

So besides our pet names (Mouse, Button, Love, etc) we don't really have name nicknames.

#14 AvaLola

AvaLola

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:09 PM

It's odd because I hate the nicknames that go with my name, the only people that get away with using nicknames are my parents - my mum calls me Becky and dad calls me Bec but to everyone else I'm Rebecca. Yet our daughter uses her nickname everywhere, so much that not many people know her full name. But that is because I wanted to call her Ava but her dad didn't like it so we named her Avalon and I used Ava as a nickname. I like that she has options later on, she can continue to use Ava or go back to Avalon when she's older. I do think you have to consider nicknames when naming a baby as if there is a common nickname people will use it. There are a few names I really like but hate the nickname so they've been taken off the list.

#15 Mommyof3

Mommyof3

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:01 AM

Okay....there are a lot of names that I think are fine that have nicknames...for other people.....but my name is Caroline and my mom nn me Carie when I was little...so my family calls me Carie, but I am starting to hate it because my husband has always called me Caroline and is now starting to use it because he is around my family and it has turned into my in laws using it for me because my husband now uses it and they used to call me Caroline and I HATE that they call me Carie.....I want them to call me Caroline cause that is what I want....my family is different than my friends and others, I grew up as Carie at home, but at school and everywhere else it has always been Caroline and I am to the point at screaming at them that MY NAME IS CAROLINE cause I am sooooo sick of it!!!!!!!.....so I have been very careful with naming my children so that they wouldn't have to really deal with a nickname that would be TOTALLY different....and I don't choose names that I don't like the nickname for because SOMEBODY will use it SOMETIME.....also watch out for those initial spellers.

#16 CareBear

CareBear

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:43 PM

It depends on the name....... but usually I do like nicknames. THey're nice because they let the child have a name that's cute and playful when they're little, and then when they're older, they can still be taken seriously. Take the name James for example. You can use Jimmy when he's little, but Jimmy would not sound official if he were to come in for an interview or something. Nicknames allows you to have that nice balance. :D

#17 Momo Cicerone

Momo Cicerone

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,022 posts
  • Interests:-Manga/Anime
    -Reality shows
    -Fanfiction (ages ago)
    -Books (Science fiction, Romance, Fantasy, Poetry, Adventure, Suspense, etc)
    -Shopping (shoes -watched too much Sex & the City)
    -Movies (and popcorn)
    -Surfing the internet
    -Video games (ages ago)
    -Dogs (Have an Alaskan Malamute named Zoe)
    -Karaoke (could stay all night long)
    -Drawing (ages ago, already lost my touch)

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:27 AM

I never ever really had a nickname for my formal name. I had nick names like coca cola and crazy stuff like that... but they always called me Deysi.

On the other hand my sister is called Marianella and people called her Nella, which i think is really cute.

I really like nicknames a lot, for my favorite names>

Jeremy - Jimmy, James, Jamie, Jerry, etc
Donald - Don has always been my fav.
Benjamin - Ben, Benji, Jamie, etc
Charlotte - Char and only Char. No charlies or Lotties or whatsoever.
Chloe Juliet - This was completely unspected for me... maybe call her Jules.
Evelynn - Evy

#18 ~Liz~

~Liz~

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:My top peeve is when people use offensive, sacrilegious names that are supposedly Native American but aren't, just to be cool. Please, ASK about the culture before you name your kid Dakota, Cheyenne, Nayeli, etc.

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:47 PM

I think you should have a formal name, but one that has the choice of having nicknames. I don't like the British trend of naming kids nicknames, like Charlie and Gracie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users