Photo

[...]I think it sounds like a name for a dog.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Baby Name Genie

Baby Name Genie

Baby Name Genie

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 01:12 PM

Name: Ashley
Type: Advice please

Genie,
My husband wants to name our son Chance, but I think it sounds like a name for a dog. He doesn't want to consider other names. Please help me to find the perfect name that he wont be able to say no to.

#2 Danni

Danni

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 03:05 PM

I don't think Chance sounds like a dog's name, but since you're convinced it is and he isn't opening up to your names, put Chance in his name and make his other name your favorite. He couldn't disagree to that, could he?

#3 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:06 PM

When I hear Chance I think of the dog for Homeward Bound. But if your hubby truly loves it, why not try to convince him it'll be great for a middle name? It's worth attempting a compromise here.

William Chance or David Chance could possibly work.

#4 LizzyFran

LizzyFran

Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:44 PM

The name Chance sounds okay to me, but it'd be great if you and your husband could find a name you both love. Chance has always made me think of characters in Louis L'Amour westerns. If you're not fond of Chance in particular, maybe you and your husband could find a name along similar lines. This is just off the cuff, but I'm thinking of names like Wyatt, Dustin, Gentry, Bret, Garrett, Clint, Scout, or a last name in your family you could use for a first name. These may not be the best examples, but hopefully you guys can find a name you both like.

#5 rhaego

rhaego

Epic Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:10 AM

I have two thoughts when it comes to the name Chance:
1. A boy I went to preschool and elementary school with and most people thought his name was lovely.
2. As said above, the dog from Homeward Bound.

I think if you end up using the name Chance, people aren't going to associate it with a dog when it's actually ON a person. But I also think you should have a name you like as well! I like William Chance, James Chance, and Brandon Chance.

#6 Kate

Kate

Star Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:27 AM

It's not one of my favourite names, but I agree with the suggestions of having it as a middle name. You could call him by his first name and your husband could call him by his middle (and it could even be a special father-son name).

I like Oliver Chance, Lewis Chance and Jonathan Chance.

#7 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:06 PM

I agree it sounds like a dog's name only because it reminds me of the dog in Homeward Bound. Maybe you can use it as a middle name for your child, but if you really DO NOT like it, than you should find another name.

#8 Charity

Charity

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:59 PM

I had a great-uncle named Chance and I have to agree: the name always reminded me of the dog in Homeward Bound. I do think it's a cute name, though.

#9 Lish4042

Lish4042

Epic Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:19 AM

What about Chase?

#10 Bia

Bia

Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 04:18 PM

I agree it sounds like a dog's name only because it reminds me of the dog in Homeward Bound. Maybe you can use it as a middle name for your child, but if you really DO NOT like it, than you should find another name.

I agree.

I do like the similar names Channing and Chase, though.