Photo

hyphened first name

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Baby Name Genie

Baby Name Genie

Baby Name Genie

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:08 AM

Name: Ashley

I'm due in September with a baby girl. I've always loved the name Myia-Elizabeth Mae. Mae is my middle name, but I was wondering if you thought the hyphened first name was stupid.

#2 Liz

Liz

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:35 PM

I wouldn't say it's "stupid," but it seems kind of pointless and confusing. Myia-Elizabeth is simply too many syllables for people to call her on a regular basis. Most Elizabeths don't even manage to get that on a regular basis, much less a couple more syllables.

Myia and Mae are awfully similar names, so that seems rather redundant too. Why not just Myia Elizabeth? If you really want the Mae in there, I'd go with Myia Elizabeth Mae?

Side note: How is Myia pronounced? MY-ee-ah or MY-ah? I think that spelling is quite confusing, especially if you want it said MY-ah. I'd stick with Maya or Maia for that.

#3 Kate

Kate

Star Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:59 AM

How's Myia pronounced? That's a rather confusing name. Myia-Elizabeth is a bit long to be hyphenated, usually hyphenation works better with short names: Myia-Rose, Myia-Jade, Myia-Skye, Myia-Beth, etc. You could just use Elizabeth as a middle name and call her by her first name and her first middle name.

#4 Smile

Smile

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:05 PM

i don't find things wrong with hyphenated names. i know one family where every person has either a hyphenated or two first names along with a middle name. myia i think is the more confusing part. if it is a spelling used for a specific country, that is fine. but if she will often have to pronounce and spell it for everyone throughout her life. also, i love using mae, but elizabeth seems so long, and since it begins with a vowel and myia ends in one, i don't think the flow is all that great. though mae is shorter, i would suggest using a shorter name than elizabeth. any standardized tests or what not, she probably wouldn't love running out of boxes to write her name in, that happened to my brother all through growing up.. i would suggest myia-beth so it is still similar to elizabeth, and i suggest a simpler spelling of however you may pronounce myia.

#5 Hannah

Hannah

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:25 AM

Name: Ashley

I'm due in September with a baby girl. I've always loved the name Myia-Elizabeth Mae. Mae is my middle name, but I was wondering if you thought the hyphened first name was stupid.

I'd see nothing wrong with a hyphenated first name, there's a lot of those. But the fact that Elizabeth is so long makes it hard and sort of confusing. I would consider a shorter name instead. Such as Myia-Kate, Myia-Lynn, Myia-Anne, Myia-Jade, Myia-Beth. Things like that and I would keep Mae as well. And also, how is Myia pronounced? Mia or Mya? Anywho, that would help a lot.

Good luck!

#6 Guest_bellasbellas_*

Guest_bellasbellas_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2008 - 04:28 PM

You could just go with..

Myia Elizabeth-Mae
Myia'lizabeth Mae
Myia Mae'lizabeth
Myia Mae-Elizabeth
Myia-Kate Mae
Myia-Mae Kate
Myia-Mae Lynn
Myia-Mae Kaye

#7 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:35 PM

I don't like hyphenated names at all.

#8 Sylvana

Sylvana

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:12 PM

I don't think there is anything wrong with a hyphened first name, although I wouldn't do it myself. But I think Myia-Elizabeth is way to long.
I also think that Myia and Mae are to similar.
Why not just give her the first name Myia and the middle name Elizabeth?

Just another question. Do you pronounce Myia as Mia or as Maya? Maybe you can use a different spelling.

#9 Alanna Kate

Alanna Kate

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:25 AM

I agree. With a hypernated name you rarely get both names, most often she would just get Maia. Why not just Elizabeth Mae since you are keen on the same middle name? Maia and Mae are quite similar though.

#10 Sunflower16

Sunflower16

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:08 PM

I would use the names you like, but take the hyphens out and keep them each as individual names. It's so much easier on ID and in school etc. You can still call her by two names all the time, but just for paperwork's sake, it would be simpler without the hyphens, unless you love them. Do whatever you have your heart set on.