7 replies to this topic

#1 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:36 AM

Ok, so I had to drop by brother off for summer school class "orientation" which was basically so they would know where to go and know who the teachers were (since its not held in his actual school or with his usual teachers) and I went in with him and the receptionist, I kid you not, was named Barbie. I know, I know, its a real name (kind of) and is a nickname for Barbra but since the dolls came out I rarely (if I've ever) saw anyone (of any age) with this nickname but this woman had it as her actual first name. Is it weird/odd to anyone else or is it just me? Also, she born after Barbie's came out so yeah. Which I also know that the doll's actual full name is Barbra Millicent Roberts but still, its seems a little cruel. I would imagine they would be constantly asked if they were named after the doll, just like if a boy were named Cullen now, I would imagine him being asked if he was named for Twilight.....(same with Bella)

On a small side note, there was another boy there (a toddler) with his mother and older brother and his name was Cancer.....his brothers name was Aries, whom my brother knew. Can you guess what months they were born? <_< / ;) Aries is alright, unusual but alright. Cancer however....is just not a great choice because of the illness and such, it doesn't really give off good feelings, ya know?

So basically I got two name shocks in one day that I could share with you wonderful ladies! :P Are their any recent ones that you all can share? :D

#2 Jay.

Jay.

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:00 PM

I can see Barbie and Aries.... Though Cancer? Poor kid! It's like naming your child leukemia 0.0

My friends mom is named Buffy..... And another friends mom is named Windy

#3 Mika Casey

Mika Casey

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

I have an aunt called Barbie.
I don't see how it's cruel?

Aries is cute, Cancer has negative connotation but it's interesting.

#4 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:14 PM

I don't see how it's cruel?

I really didn't mean that it was awful or anything, it just seems like it would get really old and maybe have some teasing since nearly everyone born after 1960 would think of the doll. I talked to her a little bit and she said she had wanted to change it to Barbra but never got around to it. She got asked if it was after the toy Barbie a lot and still did and that it got old REALLY quick. Plus, and I'm guilty, people asked her about her name in general constantly. :P

#5 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:50 PM

Completely honestly, I dont even think of the Barbie doll when I hear the name Barbie. I do think Barbara though. I think its a fairly normal name. I can see how one would find it strange, i just dont myself :) Though there are lots of Barbara's in my fam and such so yeah.

Funny thing is the first thing that came to mind when you said Cancer was 'after the zodiac? Sounds to much like the illness'. I think Aries is acceptable though! Not my personal favorite but nice.

#6 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:59 PM

Aries is okay I guess and I've heard Barbie before, but I'm not a fan because I do think of the doll. And Cancer... that's just cruel in my opinion.

#7 Meghan<3

Meghan<3

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 3,823 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, writing, reading, animals

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

I don't think Barbie is too terrible, though I see the teasing potential. Aries isn't terrible... but yeah, Cancer is terrible. That poor kid. :(

#8 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 12,161 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:06 AM

Cancer is horrible.

I've heard of an Aries and a Gemini and the likes, but Cancer is going a little too far.

Barbie does make me think of the barbie doll, but more so 'Barbecue'.

"Do you want to put the burgers on the barbie?" That's just what pops in to my head.

As a name, I do think Barbara. But I have to admit, I'm not fond of either option. It's too close to the word "Barbaric" to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users