Photo

Katya (cat-chya) as a nick name for Katherine?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:27 AM

Okay, first off, what do you think of Katya as a nick name for Katherine? It's the Russian nickname for Katherine actually :D I really like it myself! <3 haven't decided if I love it enough to officially add it, cause Pippa is still my name love. But, maybe as a second girl, I kinda like Katya as a nickname! It feels original i guess, and it flows along with my Russian name thing of the moment lol

Another Russian name I have been really loving: Nikolai! I used to love it as a middle name for Chase, cause it made Chase feel more masculine lol. But now, I'm absolutely loving it as a first name! Sometimes I kinda wonder if people might say nick-oh-lie when it's really neek-oh-lie, but I doubt that'd be a big issue :P

So what are your thoughts on these? Thanks for all opinions!!!

~ Haddie

#2 Zalivor

Zalivor

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:47 PM

Love, love, love both of them <3 (especially Nikolai).

I'm really into Slavic languages, so I'm kind of biased....:D.

Katya is really cute. And, of course, I love the name Nikolai with the nickname Niko.

#3 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:23 PM

Hahaha, I haven't even thought of calling him Niko! :) I just thought, oh, I'll probably call him Nik hehe <3

I've been raiding Russian names at the moment, cause I really adore the sound of Nikolai! So I was hoping that maybe I could find other Russian names that are alike and maybe even perfect! :P

Katya I think would make an adorable sib set with Nikolai! I mean, Nik/Niko and Katya!!! :D

Well, being you like slavic languages, do you have any personal favorites from those languages? I'd love to hear of them if so! <3

~ Haddie

#4 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:41 PM

I think Katya is a great nn for Katherine...and has just a little something extra over the very popular Katie.

I think Katya would age better than Katie as well.

And sibs Katya and Nikolai are AMAZING!!

#5 -SassyCassie-

-SassyCassie-

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:22 PM

I quite like it :D

Katya

is

very

pretty :P

#6 Zalivor

Zalivor

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:14 PM

Hahaha, I haven't even thought of calling him Niko! :) I just thought, oh, I'll probably call him Nik hehe <3

I've been raiding Russian names at the moment, cause I really adore the sound of Nikolai! So I was hoping that maybe I could find other Russian names that are alike and maybe even perfect! :P

Katya I think would make an adorable sib set with Nikolai! I mean, Nik/Niko and Katya!!! :D

Well, being you like slavic languages, do you have any personal favorites from those languages? I'd love to hear of them if so! <3

~ Haddie

Let's see....for girls I like Ayn, Lena/Lina, Marina, Natalia, Sasha, and Misha. For boys I like Arkady, Dmitri, Jasha, Malachi, Mikhail, Pasha, Sergey, Victor, and Mischa (and Nikolai of course).

#7 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:53 AM

Thanks so much!!

Katie does seem sadly popular, and I guess I don't Luke it as much as Katya anyways... Though Katya really does seem to age well! Yet it is unique :D

And as for the suggestions, I quite like Lena, Natalia and Sasha! Arkady, Malachi and Pasha are handsome!!!! Is it bad to kinda like Pasha for a girl? Hmm, maybe that's a random moment thing, cause now I kinda really do like it on a boy :)

Fickle, fickle... :P

But I was thinking Katya and Nikolai would make a great sib set! I'm glad I'm not the only one! They both have such a great feel I think! <3

Haha, though, is it wrong to use so many Russian like names when I don't have even the tiniest bit of Russian in my blood? :\ would it be like, offensive to overload on them or something to Russian people? Like, I'm not quite sure what I'm thinking... It's almost midnight, don't mind me! :)

~ Haddie

#8 Zalivor

Zalivor

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:09 AM

Thanks so much!!

Katie does seem sadly popular, and I guess I don't Luke it as much as Katya anyways... Though Katya really does seem to age well! Yet it is unique :D

And as for the suggestions, I quite like Lena, Natalia and Sasha! Arkady, Malachi and Pasha are handsome!!!! Is it bad to kinda like Pasha for a girl? Hmm, maybe that's a random moment thing, cause now I kinda really do like it on a boy :P

Fickle, fickle... :P

But I was thinking Katya and Nikolai would make a great sib set! I'm glad I'm not the only one! They both have such a great feel I think! <3

Haha, though, is it wrong to use so many Russian like names when I don't have even the tiniest bit of Russian in my blood? :\ would it be like, offensive to overload on them or something to Russian people? Like, I'm not quite sure what I'm thinking... It's almost midnight, don't mind me! :P

~ Haddie

Katya and Nikolai would make an awesome sibset! :)

Hmmmm, I only know of one Pasha, who is a boy, so it's pretty much masculine to me, but I can definitely see how it sounds like a girl name. I still like it, though!

I don't think it's wrong at all! You can say that your Great-great-great-great grandfather's cousin emigrated from Russia, and you wanted to honor him! :) (Supposedly I'm related to a Russian czar :P )

#9 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:37 AM

Haha, though, is it wrong to use so many Russian like names when I don't have even the tiniest bit of Russian in my blood? :\ would it be like, offensive to overload on them or something to Russian people? Like, I'm not quite sure what I'm thinking... It's almost midnight, don't mind me! :P

~ Haddie

HAHA! You could always hold out for a Russian Prince! :D

A few years back I would have said yes...but the US is such a "melting pot" though I believe they've renamed it a "tossed salad" with so many different cultures meshed together. (though the US hasn't really changed just my opinions) NOW, I dont see a problem using names from a different nationality/culture if you really love the names.

#10 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:18 PM

Hahaha, I don't think I could even try to say I'm Russian xD I'm a lot of French, a lot of Italian, a tiny bit polish and a tiny bit Lithuanian haha!

But tehehe! I'll go marry a Russian prince! :P I could certainly go for someone with money! :D

But true true, we really are a melting pot... Soon to be a tossed sales of either your a melting pot or your Mexican :) (not to say i have problems with mexicans lol! I just dislike illegal immigration...)

~ Haddie

#11 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:53 PM

OMG, I absolutely adore Russian names. :D

Katya is very pretty as is Nikolai. :P

#12 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:32 AM

Thanks Alyssa! :D Hehe, I'm loving Russian names myself :P They just have a certain feel to them!

~ Haddie

#13 Chey*Mae~

Chey*Mae~

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 02:22 AM

I have always adored both the names Nikolai and Katya, I also love the name Alexandra, though it's commoner, I love the nn Alix like the last Empress of Russia's birth name, a variation of Alice, I think after her mother who was the second daughter of Queen Victoria and her consort Prince Albert, she married into the house of Hesse. Yeah, okay my quick history lesson is dun for now. Anyway, their quite adorable. And 8.6% or so percent of the Lithuanian is Russian, so it could be true that even one of your ancestors was Russian since they also share such close borders, and I think like the Estonians they had wars with the Russian's but I'm not sure and am not going to check, I'm to busy studying for a part of history way of this topic for an midterm and don't want to get confused in some way. Okay I don't know why I wrote all of that this is about baby names o.o , I'm sorry.One name I learned in fifth grade in a story another girl wrote about an turtle whose name was Nastya which I later learned (I think) was a nn for Anastasia. But Katya is an adorable name, and nn for Katherine. I also like Nikolai. And another i like is Sergei. And the nickname Niko's quite adorable, I went so school with a Niko before I moved!

Yeah sorry, that's more of a rant D:

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users