3 replies to this topic

#1 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:39 AM

I was watching late night TV and happened to catch a few interesting names.

The most interesting being Billiam, seeming a combo of William and it's NN Bill. He's a producer (or something) of the show "Family Guy". I thought it a little tacky and clunky but not entirely awful I suppose.

The other one I saw was Ferlin, the name of a country singer in the 50's. It sounds old and almost like a masculine version of Fern.

Others I saw were Red, Merle (Mer-al) and Webb. Not exactly odd, just old and rather rare now a days, though I do know a teenager named Merle.

What do you ladies think? :)

#2 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:09 AM

Huh! Interesting names..

Can't say I like Billiam. It just sounds very strange, I suppose. Tacky and clunky are definitely the adjectives for it <3

Ferlin made me think of Berlin or Merlin at first, but I'd much prefer those to Ferlin TBH. It sounds like fur- lin, almost like someone liked the sound of fur and wanted to be trendy and added lin to the end lol. I know the 50's is before this current -lynn trend, but still.

Red isn't all that uncommon. I think of That 70's Show, or something. I think it could make a fine name now adays, with color names coming in. A better nick name in my opinion, but a fine name. Normally its just a nick name given to people with red hair, from my light research. No names seem to actually have Red as the nick name, but everyone keeps saying its a red heads nick name. But eh, fine name either way.

Merle just isn't my style. The sound mer-al doesn't come off well from it. Meral would work better, at least visually. Merle looks as if it'd rhyme with Pearl.

Webb is a bit strange, but I can definitely see it working as a nick name. Like for Webster or something. I kind of like it in a way, though I wouldn't use it.

:)

#3 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:40 PM

Merle just isn't my style. The sound mer-al doesn't come off well from it. Meral would work better, at least visually. Merle looks as if it'd rhyme with Pearl.

It does kind of rhyme with Pearl, basically Pearl but with an M- instead of a P-, but I wasn't sure how to explain it, now I wish I had thought of comparing it to Pearl. It would have made a lot more sense! Haha

#4 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:Music, names and my friends.

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

All I can think of is Merle Haggard.
Billiam is odd, I don't like it at all. Webb doesn't seem odd to me but I go to school with two Webbs. It's their last name but it's the only thing they've gone by in 5 or 6 years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users