#1 Elena Mae

Elena Mae

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Interests:writing, poetry, classical and ancient history, photography

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:06 PM

Alright, so, we had the swimming gala at school this week, and I decided to read some of the names from the lists. I got 'round two teams, but I thought I'd tell you of some of the stranger names I found:

Both of them in Red House, two Year Eights (7th grade) had unusual names in a different way to normal. One was named Sharlotte (which, I can only imagine, is pronounced like Charlotte). Alright, alright, there might be a more valid reason for this, and while I don't mind the name, even if I do profer the more common spelling, my friend pointed out something rather valid; "so, like shalot, then?". Granted, there was a Charlotte in our family that was my Nana's aunt, and they all called her CHAR-lot, so maybe that's where the spelling came from?

The other was called Valentine D'Amore. For those of you who struggle with the French, D'Amore means "of love". Bit of a strong meaning, if you ask me, but a lovely name none the less.

One of the year eights (that's 7th grade, if you were wondering) in our group had the name Kayne. Incase anyone is confused why this is on her, I go to an all girls school.... I still don't know what to think of this.

Another name I found recently was Sharon - on a boy in my brother's year. While "it is a boys name" (as my brother told us), I feel sorry for him. If Jake can say that straight off, then poor Sharon must have to say that a lot.

So, what do you think of the names for these four students in our twin schools?

#2 Starlight

Starlight

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:19 PM

I LOVE Charlotte.
Not a fan of 'Sharlotte' though.. it looks like they were either combining Scarlett & Charlotte together. OR they wanted to make Charlotte unique.

Valentine isnt my style. It sounds like, they wanted to incorporate 'love' names into their daughters name.

Kayne is alright on a boy... but I dont like it on a girl. I feel sorry for her :rolleyes:

I dont get what the deal is, with giving girls boys name and vice versa. Poor Sharon must get teased & everyone would be expecting him to be a girl.

#3 Elena Mae

Elena Mae

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Interests:writing, poetry, classical and ancient history, photography

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:25 AM

I know! While Kayne suits her name, I somehow doubt Sharon ever will. It's too much of a girls name, and has been for many years.

I'm not even sure that her parents wanted to incorperate a love theme. While I didn't put this (I probably should have) D'Amore appeared to be her surname, so even with the idea of a theme, it doesn't seem very tactful...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users