7 replies to this topic

#1 agallaher12

agallaher12

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:07 AM

OK so I recently saw this name and heard it pronounced Tuh lee uh... but I asked a few friends and they all pronounced it differently. What is your opinion on the name, spelling and pronunciation please. I would really appreciate any and all feedback I can get.

#2 Sunny Mummy! :)

Sunny Mummy! :)

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my beloved family, singing, dancing, writing (I have more than 10 novels on the go but never get the mind space time to finish any of them!), art, reading, spending quality time with Loved Ones, cooking (especially baking when I get the time), being outdoors in Nature enjoying God's GLORIOUS Creation (Bush walking, gardening etc), and... BABY NAMES have ALWAYS been an obsession for me!! :D

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:11 AM

Thalia happens to be one of my GORGEOUS Daughters' First Names so I should be able to help you, I hope!

Thalia - This is the Greek Spelling and it is meant to be pronounced Tuh-LEE-ah but we, and most other people we know, pronounce it TAH-lih-ah. This spelling means "Joyful; Blooming!" which is why we chose it.

Talia - This is the Aboriginal Australian spelling and means "Born Near Water". It is pronounced TAH-lih-ah.

Tahlia - This is the Hebrew Spelling and it means "Dew Drop From Heaven"! It is pronounced TAH-lih-ah too!

I hope this helps! :) Just so you know, my Daughter LOVES her name and never seems to have trouble with people mispronouncing it just mis-spelling it!

#3 agallaher12

agallaher12

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

I Love it. I'm thiking of using it for my daughter. It's beautiful and has beautiful meaning behind it

#4 RainstreamofSpiritClan

RainstreamofSpiritClan

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:07 PM

Well I used to pronounce it Thay-lee-a but now I pronounce it Tah-lee-a

My favorite spelling is Thalia

#5 AddyEm

AddyEm

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:25 AM

I prefer the spelling Tahliah, pronounced Tah-lee-ah. Maybe Taliah?

#6 brittany111

brittany111

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:24 AM

Id pronounce them all the same, Tah-Lee- Uh.

Maybe its the accent? my preferred spelling is Thalia or Tahlia.

#7 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:00 AM

OK so I recently saw this name and heard it pronounced Tuh lee uh... but I asked a few friends and they all pronounced it differently. What is your opinion on the name, spelling and pronunciation please. I would really appreciate any and all feedback I can get.

I've only ever seen it pronounced "TAH-lee-uh", but maybe its a New Englander thing? I've never heard tuh-le-uh before. Maybe its cause I'm used to a different pronunciation, but I don't care for it that way. 

I've always liked the spelling Thalia. It makes me think of the shorter version of Nathalia / Natalia, though feels more fresh and cutsy imo.

#8 Aym

Aym

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:59 PM

I know a girl named Natalia who goes by Talia (She is Brazilian though I don't think this has a whole lot to do with how her name is pronounced). The pronunciation for her name is Nuh-taal-yuh, and so Talia is Taal-yuh. 

I definitely prefer this pronunciation, though there will be some hiccups with spelling and pronunciation regardless. I have a common name with unusual spelling and I resigned to spelling my name for people ages ago. It doesn't bother me.

If you prefer this pronunciation you could try an alternative spelling of Talya / Talyah?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users