37 replies to this topic

#1 bebeeg

bebeeg

Administrator

• Community Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:08 PM

What are some names from the past you sort of like but are pretty sure wouldn't be well received?

#2 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:I LOVE reading. I'm into almost every genre and generally read a book a week, if possible. I like Iris Johansen, Karen Marie Moning, Stephen King, James Patterson, Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, Diana Gabaldon, Kathy Reichs, and Robert Burns (every Scot's favorite author). I really love music and even got accepted to the Mason Gross School of Performing Arts at Rutgers University (my alma mater) for vocal performance. Unfortunately performance life was not for me, so I went into English Lit and French instead. Music is still a big part of my life, and I like a multitude of musical genres from Reggae to Rock to Opera. I've seen Carmen and La bohème each twice. (And I cry every time.) My husband and I also have a special place in our hearts for The Beatles.

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:45 PM

Oh, yeah. I love the names Orlaith, Máirín, & Niamh, but my husband gets all sorts of tongue tide and has permanently taken them off of our list of possible girl names. (by the way they're pronounced like this: "OR la", "MAUR een", "neev")

#3 rhaego

rhaego

Epic Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:22 PM

Oh, yeah. I love the names Orlaith, Máirín, & Niamh, but my husband gets all sorts of tongue tide and has permanently taken them off of our list of possible girl names. (by the way they're pronounced like this: "OR la", "MAUR een", "neev")

See, this is what I mean about the Irish/Gaelic names! Those look amazing and they would be great names, but at first glance, I would pronounce them "or LAITH," "MAYR in," and "ni AHM." Not even close! Haha.

#4 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:I LOVE reading. I'm into almost every genre and generally read a book a week, if possible. I like Iris Johansen, Karen Marie Moning, Stephen King, James Patterson, Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, Diana Gabaldon, Kathy Reichs, and Robert Burns (every Scot's favorite author). I really love music and even got accepted to the Mason Gross School of Performing Arts at Rutgers University (my alma mater) for vocal performance. Unfortunately performance life was not for me, so I went into English Lit and French instead. Music is still a big part of my life, and I like a multitude of musical genres from Reggae to Rock to Opera. I've seen Carmen and La bohème each twice. (And I cry every time.) My husband and I also have a special place in our hearts for The Beatles.

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:41 PM

LOL. I guess you can call me the resident Gaelic Guru. And if I'm not sure about pronunciation, I'll certainly look it up. :unsure:

#5 rhaego

rhaego

Epic Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:57 PM

Well it's nice to have one around because I'm sure everyone is just as confused as me. :] Go Scarlet! Our Gaelic lifesaver!

#6 Danni

Danni

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Interests:I love reading...Romance and fantasy novels mostly, though I do get into some other genres every now and then. I also LOVE music...Mainly older music, but some newer stuff, also. I LOVE the Beatles! They are the greatest! lol. I also love to just drive around in my car...And shopping! When Ihave money, I LOVE to shop!

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:33 AM

Well it's nice to have one around because I'm sure everyone is just as confused as me. :] Go Scarlet! Our Gaelic lifesaver!

Definitely! I'm gonna have to go back and look at all of those names I could never pronounce and give her a list! lol!

#7 Kate

Kate

Star Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:41 AM

Gaelic phonetics (at least when it comes to names) are easy to work out once you've got used to them. One name I really like is Sadhbh, but almost nobody (except Irish people) would pronounce it siev (ie as in lie). And it really irks me when people pronounce Ciara as see-ah-ra. It's kee-ra, the same as in Keira Knightley! Saoirse, Caoimhe, Aoife, Áine are all lovely, but the little girl would have to carry a card saying 'My name is pronounced ...' about her! Niamh is one of my favourite Irish names, though. Lovely pronunciation and meaning :D

There are lots of names like June, Ida, Cora and so forth I like but aren't quite ready for a comeback yet. Such a shame :unsure:

#8 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:27 AM

Macchiatomom mentioned Xander in the TV Character posts. I think it's an interesting name, but not too sure I could or would use it. I just don't think it would mesh well with us. But I still think it's a nice name. :unsure:

#9 Danni

Danni

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 694 posts
  • Interests:I love reading...Romance and fantasy novels mostly, though I do get into some other genres every now and then. I also LOVE music...Mainly older music, but some newer stuff, also. I LOVE the Beatles! They are the greatest! lol. I also love to just drive around in my car...And shopping! When Ihave money, I LOVE to shop!

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:22 PM

Saoirse!

Ooh! I can actually pronounce this one! I read it in a book once...Can't remember the book, but I remember the girl trying to get the people to pronounce her name correctly...

#10 ~Liz~

~Liz~

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:My top peeve is when people use offensive, sacrilegious names that are supposedly Native American but aren't, just to be cool. Please, ASK about the culture before you name your kid Dakota, Cheyenne, Nayeli, etc.

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:14 PM

I would love to name my children Native American names, to reflect my heritage, but in today's culture, it would just not be well received at all.

"Oh, you have such a lovely daughter! What's her name?"
"It's Genesee!"
"Gene-what? Genevieve? Henessey? Tennessee?"
"No...Genesee..."
"Did you make that up?"

Sigh.

#11 MellyMade

MellyMade

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:Names (of course), animals, books, music, quirky things from thrift stores, soft serve/frozen yogurt.

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:20 PM

I like the silly flower names, like Peony and Pansy, but in current culture they -most likely- wouldn't work!

#12 Antelope

Antelope

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:37 PM

I really like the name Ocean but I wouldn't use it because of the ocean.

#13 Jellybean

Jellybean

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 635 posts
  • Interests:-Watching movies<br />-Reading (specially poetry)<br />-Writing<br />-Playing with my daughter<br />-Travelling<br />-Learning different languages

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:55 PM

I know it is a granny's name,but I really love Agatha. There. I admitted.

#14 MellyMade

MellyMade

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:Names (of course), animals, books, music, quirky things from thrift stores, soft serve/frozen yogurt.

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:40 PM

I know it is a granny's name,but I really love Agatha. There. I admitted.

Me too! I had a pet frog that I named Agatha, it's still one of my secret favorite names.

#15 ~Liz~

~Liz~

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:My top peeve is when people use offensive, sacrilegious names that are supposedly Native American but aren't, just to be cool. Please, ASK about the culture before you name your kid Dakota, Cheyenne, Nayeli, etc.

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:07 PM

I really love the names Henrietta, Eleanor, Loretta, and Ramona. You can't make me hate them! :)

#16 Antelope

Antelope

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:31 PM

I really like Olive and I also like Myrtle....

#17 Alexis!

Alexis!

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Bones
    Mysteries
    Baking
    Photography
    Science
    Writing
    Reading

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:37 PM

I really like Olive and I also like Myrtle....

Omg!! I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEE the name Olive! I thought I was the only one!!!

#18 Dominique

Dominique

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:14 AM

I really like the name Judith and actually am considering if I ever have a girl naming her that, but after my grandma which had the Italian form of the name which is Giuditta (pronounced Gee-oou-dee-tah). I figure if I used the italian form then my kid wouldn't have the same name as all the older ladies around here lol and I think its cute.

#19 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:12 PM

Agnes

#20 Dominique

Dominique

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 12:03 PM

Oh and I secretly love the name Eliza, but since my brother just named his son Elijah last October, naming a future daughter of mine Eliza would just be too close and confusing, especially since my family lives sooo close to one another and see eachother all the time. So I figure I will use it one a dog if I ever get a female one lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users