• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Elle W

Elle W

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Art History, Astrology, Baby Names!, Board Games, Books, CAD, Cheerleading, Cooking, Etymology, Extreme Sports, Family, Fashion, Friends, Linguistics, Marketing, Native Americans, Philosophy, Psychology, SEO, Web Development & Design, Writing

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:17 AM

Even the Pope is up in arms about what people are naming their kids today.

The Pope released an official address this Sunday, in which he declared that the names people are giving their children are not in line with the views of the Catholic Church. More specifically, he was upset with the recent trends of giving children names copying celebrities.

His anger came after Mass, when he baptised more than a dozen children (who presumably did not have "proper" names).

He said that there must be a return to Christian names, immediately.

"Every baptized child acquires the character of the son of God, beginning with their Christian name, an unmistakable sign that the Holy Spirit causes man to be born anew in the womb of the Church," he said at the Sistine Chapel on Sunday.

A Christian name helps in life, because through that name, they are given guidance in their life. Without a Christian name, there is no saint to guard the child.

In other words, not giving your child a Christian name is dangerous.

Very interesting! What does everybody think?

#2 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:22 AM

I don't know how I am possibly going to express my opinion without offending someone O_o

But I disagree. It is nothing against religion itself (I am in fact Christian-if not a very good one), but I disagree that a name makes a whole load of difference to the child. One of my best friends is a devout Christian and so is her whole family, but her and her siblings don't have Christian names (her name is Avril). It hasn't affected her.

Maybe this is coming from the fact that I am not actually Catholic, but names are names.

#3 Zalivor

Zalivor

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:41 AM

I don't know how I am possibly going to express my opinion without offending someone O_o

But I disagree. It is nothing against religion itself (I am in fact Christian-if not a very good one), but I disagree that a name makes a whole load of difference to the child. One of my best friends is a devout Christian and so is her whole family, but her and her siblings don't have Christian names (her name is Avril). It hasn't affected her.

Maybe this is coming from the fact that I am not actually Catholic, but names are names.

I agree; my brothers and I don't have Christian names, though we are Christians (but not Catholic). Don't Catholics give Christian names to children when they're thirteen or something? My dad grew up Catholic and he and his siblings don't have Christian names, but some of his siblings were given them by the church. I don't really get it.

#4 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:45 AM

I think that's pretty interesting. I think names are a little out of hand, but that is each parents right to name their child what they please.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users