Photo

"Confessions of a Name Heretic" thoughts?

interesting article nameberry article posted in topic

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:52 AM

http://nameberry.com...fense-of-jayden

So I read this article on Nameberry (I'm always keeping up on their latest articles!) and when I came across this one a few days ago, I meant to post it right away. But I want to hear BNG's take on it! :)

For "naming enthusiasts", their opinions on trendy naming. It talks of

Many claim to be open-minded and liberal, but are much more rigid in their approach to naming than you’d think, especially when it comes to names popular with, as one poster put it, “theWal-Mart set.” Another poster declared her goal was to encourage “classically-named babies,” which let’s face it, is just a euphemism for “babies with names of which I, as the self-appointed arbiter of taste, approve.”

I thought it was very interesting how she spoke on many peoples takes on "unisex names", and really any other trend (ie her example as Jayden).

I just loved when she was saying

I’ve considered that I’m stuck in the naming equivalent of a rebellious stage, and this is all just a result of some unhealthy obsession with nonconformity. It’s the only explanation I can think of for my strange affinity for Hortense. But remember, there’s a difference between actualnonconformity (naming your daughter Hortense) and what sometimes passes for nonconformity on Nameberry (naming your daughter Hazel, along with four other couples on your hip urban block). The ugly truth is, those blogosphere darlings I’ve noticed popping up over and over again–Barnaby and Beatrice, Esme and Ezra–are just as trendy as the so-called “trendies.” The only difference is that these trends are smaller, so people can follow them and still feel superior.

So! Before I copy and paste the entire blog... read it! It gave me a good laugh, honestly! :) I really like Claire Shefchik, lol!

Enjoy, ladies! :)

#2 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:08 AM

<3 it :)

Of course I may disagree with her on Jayden, I'll agree with her on most every other front.

#3 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:41 PM

Mmm, I don't really agree on the Jayden thing so much either. I don't picture a skinny, tattoo'd, long haired boy at all =/ actually, I picture short brown hair, muscles, and stuff like that. Idk, it makes me think popular boy in high school for whatever reason, a jock or something maybe. Random :)

I love how most the articles on there are good reads :) This is one of my favs, again, I laughed a bit. But I love reading the info and all.. I love how often Abby Sandal has her articles as well, the newsiest 9 and all. I need to go check out Appellation Mountain again... haven't been on in far too long :(

#4 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:54 PM

Mmm, I don't really agree on the Jayden thing so much either. I don't picture a skinny, tattoo'd, long haired boy at all =/ actually, I picture short brown hair, muscles, and stuff like that. Idk, it makes me think popular boy in high school for whatever reason, a jock or something maybe. Random :)

I love how most the articles on there are good reads :) This is one of my favs, again, I laughed a bit. But I love reading the info and all.. I love how often Abby Sandal has her articles as well, the newsiest 9 and all. I need to go check out Appellation Mountain again... haven't been on in far too long :(

Yeah she has a weekly article on Nameberry and her daily blog is my fave :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: interesting article, nameberry, article posted in topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users