Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:05 AM

I found this at AOL Jobs.com...

http://jobs.aol.com/...-spell-success/

"[Researchers] found that while all students want As, students whose names begin with letters associated with poorer performance (C and D) achieve lower grade point averages (GPAs) than do students whose names begin with A and B. This was especially true if the students liked their initials."

They also asked young adults to predict the success of a group of people entering new careers, based on information provided about the applicants. Many predicted that women with more feminine names, like Emma & Irma (IRMA???) would "have more success pursuing traditional female careers such as nurse, hair stylist or interior decorator." Where as men with more traditional masculine names like Hank and Bruno "were expected to be successful with traditional male careers such as plumber, truck driver and electrician."

Those whose names least matched occupation stereotypes might have a harder time landing certain jobs, the study suggests. A woman named Garrett pursuing a job in day care or a man named Bud who wanted to become a hair stylist, for example, might be searching for that dream position for a long time

Top Twelve names associated with Intelligence...

Abigail
Alexis
Grace
Leah
Meryl
Vanessa

Alexander
David
John
Kenneth
Samuel
Tim

Names associated with leadership...

Ruth
Alexander
Dwight
Lance

Names associated with hard workers...

Adal
Ingrid
Mariel
Margaret
Jake
Manuel
Ron
Todd

The article also goes on to say that having a more unique name may make you stand out to employers who are using the internet more and more to find/research job applicants. If you have a unique name you make yourself a bit easier to find then if you were one of a million John Smiths.

However, I'm seriously doubting their sanity when they further suggest changing the spelling of your name and give examples like Kevin to Kevynn and Ryan to Rhyon. Rhyon!!! Seriously?

#2 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:49 AM

I think that's a bit too crazy for me to believe! :)

I mean, just because your name behinds with a letter doesn't change your performance! So they're saying if I decide to name my little girl Cadence to expect an average student, Arabella for an exceptional student, and Fleur is asking for failure????

I can see how a particular name can give he appearence of a particular feel. When I hear he name Scott, I think of a golf player, lol. Doesn't mean a Scott will be a golf player, or in any way a good one!

As for the employment thing... I somewhat get it. I'd be a horrible employer, going for all the names that interest me hahaha! But it's sad that a PROFESSIONAL employer person would do that! He shoul be looking for skills! D:

~ Haddie

#3 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:04 PM

I think that's a bit too crazy for me to believe! :)

I mean, just because your name behinds with a letter doesn't change your performance! So they're saying if I decide to name my little girl Cadence to expect an average student, Arabella for an exceptional student, and Fleur is asking for failure????

I can see how a particular name can give he appearence of a particular feel. When I hear he name Scott, I think of a golf player, lol. Doesn't mean a Scott will be a golf player, or in any way a good one!

As for the employment thing... I somewhat get it. I'd be a horrible employer, going for all the names that interest me hahaha! But it's sad that a PROFESSIONAL employer person would do that! He shoul be looking for skills! D:

~ Haddie

Well I dont think that the article was saying that Employers choose who they hire based on their name, mostly it was saying if you have an unusual name then it gives you an edge because you are easier to find online and your name stands out from others.

And the whole thing about jobs was to show that people relate certain names to certain occupations, but not neccessarily saying that what you name your kid will have any impact on what career path they choose.

#4 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:55 PM

Oh... Okay :)

#5 Zalivor

Zalivor

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:49 PM

That's just....really weird :)

Oh well, at least according to this I should get good grades and get hired more (because of I have a unique name) :)

#6 Elle W

Elle W

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Art History, Astrology, Baby Names!, Board Games, Books, CAD, Cheerleading, Cooking, Etymology, Extreme Sports, Family, Fashion, Friends, Linguistics, Marketing, Native Americans, Philosophy, Psychology, SEO, Web Development & Design, Writing

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:46 PM

There is some truth to how much phonetics impacts your character. People whose names begin with A, on the whole, are really much more successful than other people...

On the other hand, according to other books on phonetics and names I've read, people whose names start with F are also tremendously successful (despite F being associated with words like failure)

This isn't that great of an article overall I don't think because GPA is a pretty poor way of assessing intelligence. Nobody really likes our educational system right now, there are so many different types of intelligence, and you can't really say "Well, Allie got an A on this test, she's smarter than DeeDee, her name must have something to do with it!"

It's obviously not the school system or our teachers or the parents or anything :)

Overall I do think names are much more important than we give them credit for. And I do think they can subconsciously affect things like our academic performance, careers, character, etc.

But... people definitely shouldn't let studies like these stop them from picking a name they love.

#7 Mariel

Mariel

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:45 PM

I find stuff like this so interesting... and in some ways it does make sense. Especially the job "fitting" the description.
But I completely disagree that changing the SPELLING of your name can help. Having a unique name, yes, but a strangely spelled name, no.
Also, I think that naming your kid Alechandriciaiquia... (I hate to stereotype, I really do, but I have met WAY to crazy names not to call foul on this) cant be HELPING your child. To me, (and I have to think employers, customers, colleagues, etc) is spells out what some might call "the ghetto." (that sounds so awful. I hate using words like that.)
And I would hate to argue with this study.... it called me a hard worker :) Thats weird... I'm procrastinating as we speak!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users