7 replies to this topic

#1 Lilah

Lilah

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:50 PM

I was just wondering, how did all of you choose your child(ren)'s names? Was there a certain reason for choosing that name, or was it just a name that you fell in love with? And, how did you know that the name was "the one"? I'm having such a hard time trying to be realistic about the names on my list. I have a lot of names that I love, but I don't know how to choose the perfect one. I don't want to name a future child something, and then regret it down the line.

For those of you who don't have children yet, how are you planning on picking out a name?

All feedback and comments are welcome

#2 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:25 PM

I dont have any kids and I'm not pregnant but I know that if I had a kid right now I'd name a boy Whitman Lark-Alfred and a girl Anna ________ (undecided on middle name, maybe Lucille or Charlotte)

I LOVE the name Whitman nn Whit and have for a long time...its my favorite boy name. Lark Alfred is my g-pa and the middle name honors him.

Ann is my middle name so it kind of honors me, but I'm named after my grandmother who died before I was born so it honors her as well. I have always liked my middle name but for a first name I prefer Anna, which I LOVE, it is simple, classic, and beautiful and I could so see my self having a little girl named Anna.

I have other names that I like as well but these are the two I know I would use.

#3 Anna.

Anna.

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:38 PM

My top two names have always been Lilah and Caleb so I knew before I even got pregnant that I would use these names. There just wasn't any question about it, it's just really hard to explain. As for middle names, I let dh pick Lilah's and he chose Kate after his sister who passed away when she was young and Caleb's was after dh himself which we mutually agreed on.

It was the third child that was harder. I have always had a decent sized list of names that I really liked and it was so hard to pick one that would work. When I got pregnant I took the top 5 or 6 that both my husband and I loved and got some advice here for middle names. It eventually got down to two combos and I let my husband pick the final one and now I couldn't imagine any other name for her even though she's not born yet. It just fits and both my husband and I love it.

#4 Lilah

Lilah

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:02 PM

Thanks for the feedback. It would really help to hear more about how you all chose your childrens' names. Well in my case, I have so many boy names that I love and would love to use, so I can't imagine choosing just one. And for the girls, none of the names really stand out for me. And my boyfriend isn't a big help either. Every time I try to ask for his input, he says he doesn't know. I guess it just won't be serious for him, since we don't have to worry about it yet. But I can't help thinking about it, and imagining what names I would use.

By the way, Katie, I love the nn Whit for a little boy. I was think of the name Whitley or Whitman, but I don't know if they are my style.

#5 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:38 AM

I know it's going to be so hard for me to choose a name, especially for a girl. For boys, the only combo I really love is Aiden James. I don't know what I would do when/if I had another boy.

For girls, I would probably have a hard time choosing a name, mostly because I don't know if I will have another girl, nothing is certain, so I have to choose wisely.

~alyssa

#6 Theater_Dad

Theater_Dad

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Acting, cell phones, singing, dancing, music making, rollercoasters,

Posted 23 August 2009 - 12:32 PM

Well.. with three kids it takes some creative stimulation.

My great grandfather was a freemason, and Acacia in their organization represents purity and endurance. And then I just really liked the name.

For Eden, my favorite book since I've grown up has been East of Eden and also my name is from East of Eden (Adam Trask except my last name is Pearce). And Eden also means 'paradise'.

Then for Dawson, I've never actually watched the show Dawson's Creek but I've just loved names that end with 'n'

#7 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 12:33 PM

Then for Dawson, I've never actually watched the show Dawson's Creek but I've just loved names that end with 'n'

My mom really liked the name Dawson when she was pregnant with my little brother, and she never watched the show either! She didn't use it though.

#8 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 4,517 posts
  • Interests:art, reading, writing, dogs and cats

Posted 23 August 2009 - 12:37 PM

For Eden, my favorite book since I've grown up has been East of Eden and also my name is from East of Eden (Adam Trask except my last name is Pearce). And Eden also means 'paradise'.

fantastic book. i just read it this summer for school and I LOVED it (:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users