4 replies to this topic

#1 MBP

MBP

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:55 PM

I'm going to be really brave today and share one of my stories. I usually keep them all to myself!

This is a sort of "Breakfast Club" kind of story. It was really weird, I actually had a dream about these characters several years ago and decided to come up with the story of how they got to the point of the story that I dreamed about. It has been very slow going, because up until now only think of them from time to time, and I'm not even really sure what the names are. If you have time, would you read through the beginning of the story and tell me if the names sound like they fit the character descriptions?

The story focuses on 6 high school students that are getting ready to graduate. Their school is trying to put together a humanitarian aid trip to a foreign country.

Only two students have signed up to go on the trip:
"Lenia" a straight-laced girl who believes that she should go on this trip to help others, she feels like it is the right thing to do.
"Ezra" a geeky boy whose parents expect him to sign up for all the extra-curriculars he can because it will look good on college applications.
At the opening of the story, the superintendent of the school is 'punishing' other students by making them go on this trip:
"Donovan" nn Van is the basketball star. He is hoping to get a scholarship like his older brother did, but he is in major trouble for getting caught cheating on a big exam. His parents ask if he can serve some other punishment than failing, as that would ruin his scholarship.
"Madge" was a very popular girl, but last year, her father and younger sister were killed in a car accident, and she has been a different person ever since. She was recently kicked off the cheerleading squad because she wasn't showing up to practice. She retaliates by 'hazing' some of the cheerleaders that kicked her off.
"Ainsley" his parents are two hippies who never married because all they ever do is argue. Loudly. Ainsley is an artist, and he is in trouble for painting 'obscene' things during class. While his parents argue in the principal's office, he asks if he can just find out his punishment and get it over with.
"Celia" nn Ceil has no family to speak of. She lives with foster parents, is extremely rebellious, and has a drug problem. She 'verbally attacks' a teacher, and meets with the principal about her punishment.

As the 6 students get together during this trip (to an unnamed location) they find out that they have some things in common. And when the trip goes badly, they have to start taking care of each other so that they can make their way home. Some of them pair off, some of them develop close friendships. But I'm not going to reveal too much!

So, any thoughts on the character names? Do they seem to fit? Would nn be good for the characters or no?

#2 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:14 AM

I think Madge, Ezra & Donovan "Van" are perfect. DONT CHANGE THEM!!!

Lenia & Celia have very similar sounds so I would go with just one and change the other for easier reading.
I think Celia works well, though I'm not a big fan of nn Ceil, so my vote would be to change Lenia.

Suggestions for Lenia...

Beth, Bridget, Rebecca, Diane, Gabrielle, Holly, Janey, Molly (Ringwald :) ), Natalie

Ainsley is okay. You have mostly very uncommon names and I think that you need to switch it up and have some common/popular names in there as well. Of course with Hippy parents they wouldnt want anything too mainstream. What about something Hippyish with an everyday common nn? Maybe... Jonquil nn Jon or Sunsray nn Sunny or Ray.

#3 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:29 PM

I agree with Katie. Lenia seems a bit too close to Celia. Maybe...

~ Cara/Caralyn
~ Louise
~ Georgia
~ Hailey
~ Mariella
~ Candace

And Ainsley is okay. It seems very girly to me personally :) But I think nature names or something like that would be cool!

~ River
~ Ridge
~ Orion
~ Tsu
~ Talon
~ Barrett (like a bear?)

An animal name would be sooo cute!

Hope I helped!

~ Haddie

#4 MBP

MBP

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:27 PM

Yeah, thanks for the input! I know that most people consider Ainsley a girl name, it is one that just sort of came to me while I was thinking about the character, and I hadn't ever read it on any name lists. I like the suggestions that you came up with...now I'm thinking maybe "Race"?

And Lenia has been my biggest problem name. First it was Cynthia, but it just didn't work. Then I thought Lenia and the nn Lenny, but that sounded awful. I appreciate the suggestions...I think I will have to just wait until I hear one that just 'fits'!

#5 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:40 PM

And Lenia has been my biggest problem name. First it was Cynthia, but it just didn't work. Then I thought Lenia and the nn Lenny, but that sounded awful. I appreciate the suggestions...I think I will have to just wait until I hear one that just 'fits'!

Hmm...what about Carys, Georgia, Violet, Jana, Monique, Paige, Quinn, Veronica nn Roni, Hillary, Anastasia nn Ana/Annie/Stacey.

Yeah, thanks for the input! I know that most people consider Ainsley a girl name, it is one that just sort of came to me while I was thinking about the character, and I hadn't ever read it on any name lists. I like the suggestions that you came up with...now I'm thinking maybe "Race"?

Its not that Ainsley is "girl" so much as it is feminine and since Ezra (though a masculine name) also sounds feminine I think it would be good to pick something a bit more masculine.

Not sure how I feel about Race. :\

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users