• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Newmommy1

Newmommy1

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:26 AM

Me and hubby are having baby no1,it's a little girl. We are really struggling to agree on a name,I love unusual names and he is more for the traditional names. Do any of you have any ideas for names? We were thinking Sofia Elizabeth but I don't think it's unusual enough. Thanks :)

#2 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:00 AM

It might help to look at Sofia Elizabeth and decide what you particularly like about the name.  Do you like the girly -ia ending? The spunky FEE sound?  Are you okay with something more unusual in the middle name spot? Or do you want to push for a more unusual first name?  

You could try and find another, more unusual name that contains similar elements to what you like about Sofia Elizabeth.  If you like the spunky FEE sound, you could try Fiona, Effie, Phoebe, Josephine, Delphi/Delphine, or Ophelia.  If you like the -ia ending, Ophelia would work, so would a million others (check out this list here...http://www.babynamewizard.com/baby-name/advanced-name-finder/results?end=ia).  

Hope this helps, Good Luck!

#3 pippymay

pippymay

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:26 PM

Sofia Elizabeth is a gorgeous name, but I agree, Sofia is a very popular name right now. I would suggest reaching a compromise in one of several ways; you could try an unusual first name and traditional middle name (or vice versa), you could pick a traditional name and give it a slight twist, or you could pick an uncommon name with a more familiar nickname. Another option could even be to pick a traditional name that has gone out of style and hasn’t been used in a long time, making it uncommon (this could mean “grandma” names, names from the 20s, or the Victorian era, medieval times, ancient Greece, etc.)

It depends what sort of names you like and just how unique you want it to be. By looking up Sofia, I’ve found that less popular names like Sonia and Vivi and versions of it, and Elizabeth has tons of great nicknames ranging from Bess to Lisa to Ella. You could consider using a name like Lilibeth or Elizabella, which borrow from Elizabeth, or Lisbeth, or Elisa (a version of Eliza). There’s also Lis, Ellie, the possibilities are endless.

You could pick a name like Serafina and she could go by the popular Sarah/Sera, or use less known Emmeline instead of Emma. Marina is similar to more common names like Melissa and has classical roots, but is not particularly common. If your traditional name loving husband wanted, he could even nickname her “Mary”. You could take a name like Alice and change it to Allisia. You could take a traditional name like Charlotte and call your daughter by one of its long forgotten nicknames like Lottie. Names like Ethelyn and Valeria, Celestine, Florence, Josephine, and Beulah can be found on baby name lists dating back to the 1800s, but aren’t often heard nowadays.

I hope I’ve provided you with some inspiration for you and your husband to meet in the middle on a name you both love!  

#4 Bunko0

Bunko0

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:52 PM

Other ideas for things that are similar to Sofia:

Seraphina

Sophronia

Zofia

Euphemia

Maria

Sonia/Sonja/Sonya (is related to Sofia, has the same meaning)

Sapphira

Elizabeth is such a common middle name, and I think there others that would flow better with Sofia. 

Sofia Bellatrix

Sofia Caroline

Sofia Desiree

Sofia Gwendolyn

Sofia Helen

Sofia Jacqueline

Sofia Madeleine

Sofia Nicolette

Sofia Rosalind

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users