6 replies to this topic

#1 AvalonEve

AvalonEve

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:31 AM

I love the name Charlie but I don't like Charles. WDYT?

What do you think of just naming a child by the NN rather than the original?

Like, instead of Christopher, just Chris. Instead of Sandra, just Sandy? Instead of Alexander/Alexandra, just Alex.

Are there any NN you favor over the original?

#2 Filly

Filly

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:43 AM

I think using Charlie instead of Charles is just fine! Charlie is adorable and it works for all ages and stages. I like it better than Charles as well, actually. I love lots of nicknames, but I normally love the full names that they come from, too. LoL

#3 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:35 AM

Meh, I personaly think Charles is better than just Charlie. Charlie can be used on both gender. I prefer it on a boy, but it is kinda childish to me, though.
There are a few names I know that are "nn's" and not full names that I like better. Like Callie is a shorter form of Caliope, but I prefer just Callie. And I like Nessa a lot, but not as much for Vanessa. Any nn that sounds full basicly.
Hope my opinion helps! ~Had

#4 Guest_Zayda_*

Guest_Zayda_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:22 PM

I thinks its perfectly normal.
ex: My oldest daughter's name is Evy, not Evelyn.

#5 BellaBoo

BellaBoo

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:The Boston Bruins. Harry Potter. My best friends. Country Music. London. Baby Names :)

Posted 12 June 2009 - 01:37 PM

as a Dani-not-Danielle, I've always hated just using the nickname. I just hate how on official documents the name just doesn't look full. That being said, I also think it's silly to use a name just because it's the full name. If you love Charlie and want just Charlie--then I say go for it. If he's never going to be Charles-then why name him that?

Hope my contradicting answer is good enough! :P

#6 AvalonEve

AvalonEve

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 04:35 PM

Hmm well I dislike both names but I think that if you love the nn and not the full name then use it! I know quite a few Charlie's and even a Charli and they are fine with their name. On the other hand I also know a Charles and he for some strange reason is never called Charlie. I hope my unusual answer helps in some way.

That is the same with my fiance. His names is James. it is never Jim, Jimmy or Jamie. He does get older people calling him Jim. Then a girl I knew named Sandy. Her mom cut out the middle man, so to speak, and just named her Sandy.

#7 Hannah

Hannah

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Interests:I love writing, reading, sports of any kind(my favorites being basketball & soccer), music, and hanging out with my friends and family.

AND, I of course love thinking of baby names even though that is a VERY far in the future thing for me because I'm still young!

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:35 PM

I much prefer Charlie to Charles. I always said that if I had a little boy and he came out with red hair I wanted to name him Charlie, because I think that names fit what I see in my head very well. I know it's a little strange!

As for your question, there are names I prefer the nick name too. Such as Jack, I dislike Jackson and Jonathan, but LOVE Jack. I prefer Lily to Lillian/Liliana/Lillith. I prefer Kate to Katherine. I like Toby better than Tobias/Tobin. And I also like Cole more than Colton. I have a lot of names that I like more in the "nick name" form.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users