Photo

What are names you hate...but everyone likes!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 alaskayoung

alaskayoung

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:33 PM

I don't really have a super unusual naming style, I do like a lot of classics (William, Henry, Elizabeth, Rose etc.) but I feel like there are a lot of names that so many people love but I can't seem to stand! What about you? Do you have any names like this?

Mine are:

Girls:
Cora, Coralie, Corinne etc.
Stella
Molly
Hannah
Emily, Emma, Emmeline etc.

Boys:
Maverick
Nolan
Dominic
Nathaniel
Chase

#2 -TebowTime-

-TebowTime-

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,472 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:09 PM

Yes:

I like, but no one else likes:

Seven and Coach

I hate, but everyone else likes:

Elliot, Philip, Frances

#3 Amsel

Amsel

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:33 AM

I hate:

Coralie
Sadie
Kassie
Brinley

Jayden

... I know there are more. I'm blanking. I definitely hate when people take a perfectly good name and add change "i"'s to "y"'s. I also LOATHE creative spellings.

#4 -Regan<3

-Regan<3

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:58 AM

I hate all the names that end with -son for a girl, Addison, Madison...whats next Jackson?? :)
I also hate Aiden/Jayden ect. even tho my nickname is Raden!
I also can't stand Nevaeh, but I know I'm not the only one with that.

#5 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:20 AM

I think I only really hate one name, and there is no logical reason behind it. I just can't stand it :) = Dominique/Dominic. I'm unsure as to why, I just don't like it <3 I mean absolutely no offense to those who like it! <3

But it certainly does peeve me when people use -son names on girls. Especially Addison, Emerson, etc. Even Allison and Madison bother me for that </3 I used to love Allison, cause I liked the nick name Allie... but the -son part of it bothers me greatly <3

I dislike it when super manly names are used on girls, for the most part. Names like Logan and Peyton I still feel are all completely boy <3

And I dislike trendy names.... Trinity, Neveah, etc.

I dislike Corrine/Corina, Quinn, Sara (though I do like Sarah a little bit), Joseph, Kevin, and Xaviar. Just dislike them... </3 Not everyone seems to love them lol, but I do dislike them.

But for the most part, most names don't really bother me <3 I may dislike them... but I know the next day I might love it so idk haha! I used to greatly dislike Alexandra, but my cousins middle name is Alexandra now and now... love! :')

There is a name or two that I love that no one else likes... but I can't remember what it is! :) Few seem to like Marley (on a girl), but I can't think of the name I had that I loved that absoluely no one liked... :l Oh well!

~ Haddie

#6 thirdandfinal

thirdandfinal

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Interests:scrapbooking, photography, reading, movies, camping, family time.

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:02 PM

I'm not a fan of trendier names. I might like the name itself, but can't fathom using it because I just remember how much it sucked growing up when you were forever known as Name Initial. So never could you just be Name, you were ALWAYS Name Initial to differentiate. We had a small school and still, four girls in the same grade with my name. Boooo.
So I steer away from all the trendier stuff: Lilly, Madison, Mackenzie, McKenna, Makayla, Addison, Peyton, Cameron, Jordan, Dylan, Markus, Lukas,
Ethan, Riley, Jaden Braedon Heydon Aiden, Emily Emma Emmalee, etc etc etc.

I know that Elaina (this baby's name) isn't unheard of or anything, but it's not one I've heard much over the years, and often spelled Elena, (this is like Elaine- a , not Ellen - a). Same for my other kids - not unheard of, but so far ds is in a school of about four hundred kids and there's no other one with his name in the school. There's no kid with dd's name either, though there are Julias and one Juliet.

Also I like gender obvious names. If a kid later feels that gender doesn't fit with them, they can change their name or alter it. But I like that from hearing the name you know boy or girl, while they're young. When they're older, they can make that child kwim? So I dislike using Jordan, Dylan, Cameron, Jack, etc on girls and a lot of the trendier boy names tend to sound girly to me but none pop to mind right now.

#7 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:36 AM

I know there is a lot more, but I can't think of them at the moment so I will do two for each:

Girls:

Avery (this is number 1 on the list. I really don't like it)
Elizabeth

Boys:

William
Quinn

#8 Starlight

Starlight

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:04 AM

I HATE ... the name Genevieve.
EVERYONE, seems to LOVE it.... I just cannot stand. The way it looks, the pronounciation., just hate it.
I also cant stand the name Sadie.. [sounds like 'sad']

I generally dont like names that sound 'made-up'...

No offence intended to anybody!

#9 ImaginationGirl

ImaginationGirl

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Acting, Singing and spending time with God, my family, friends and cats!

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:59 PM

This is really interesting!

I don't really understand why everyone likes...

Elodie (Melody's is nice, but why Elodie???)
Rosalie (Well I guess from Twilight...)

Quinn (It's okay as a middle name)
Oliver (There is only one O name I like--Onnie)
and Elias --eww! Sorry, I just don't like it. I'm not a fan of any ellie/eli names--expect for Elliott, which I do like)

I'm also not a fan of Isabella, Ava and Aidan. Names that end with 'm' kind of bother me too (Adam, William, Miriam...)
Other endings that I don't really love are names that end with 'son' (some I do like, but as a lot of you have said-it ruins the name on a girl!) and lyn/lin (even though my name is Catelin). Lastly, (at least of what I'm thinking of) I too, don't really like the Cora, Corinne or Coralie stuff. Sorry guys.

There are a TON of names I do like though!
Thanks for starting this topic, alaskayoung--it was kind of nice to speak freely on names we dislike. We're learning a lot about each other too. Anyways, that's all!

#10 tiva_mcabby5

tiva_mcabby5

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:17 PM

i can't stand the name Jaden/Jayden for a boy...no offense to anyone who likes it or has used it or is named that though!

#11 Amsel

Amsel

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:07 PM

Two completely different origins and meanings. Melody is a word and of English origin. Elodie is French and it is a variant of the German name Elodia.

I'm not a fan of trendier names. I might like the name itself, but can't fathom using it because I just remember how much it sucked growing up when you were forever known as Name Initial. So never could you just be Name, you were ALWAYS Name Initial to differentiate. We had a small school and still, four girls in the same grade with my name. Boooo.
So I steer away from all the trendier stuff: Lilly, Madison, Mackenzie, McKenna, Makayla, Addison, Peyton, Cameron, Jordan, Dylan, Markus, Lukas,
Ethan, Riley, Jaden Braedon Heydon Aiden, Emily Emma Emmalee, etc etc etc.

SAME.

I also hate the names:

Abby (fine with Abigail... I guess.)
Most virtue names (Faith, Cadence, Hope, Charity, Destiny, etc. A lot of virtue names cross over to stripper name territory.)
Caitlin (and all it's variants.)
Any names ending in Leigh, as far as spelling goes. Ashleigh, Amberleigh, Hartleigh, Brynleigh whatever. Also, the name Leigh.
Names that start with C being changed to names that start with K (Kaleb, Kaspian, Kole, Kourtney, etc.)
Names like Bryleigh and Haleigh, and Kaylee (Those aren't names, they're just pretty sounds with origin or meaning. Those names sound ridiculous when all of a sudden you're cute little girl is 40.)
Bethany (Blech. Especially the nickname Beth.)

#12 Bekas

Bekas

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:44 PM

Anything that ends in -son on a girl is a no-no for me. Madison, Addison, or Allison? Can't stand them.
Brayden (But I do like Aiden, and Hayden)
Ashley (It's so common in my generation)
Samantha (Same as Ashley)
Zoe (I never know how to pronounce it)
Cameron, Harper, Parker, or anything extremely unisex (especially when paired with a unisex middle name)

#13 brittany111

brittany111

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:56 PM

where to start?

i dislike ashley/ahslea/ashlee/ashleigh girl or boy just doesnt fit with me

dislike beatrice/francis/henry/ava/rose violet or any kind of flower, lucy and any variation of the name. edward yuck, faith, hope, charity etc, FALLON-no no no.

dalton, or any surnames used as a first name really. avery i loathe!!! bridget, mabel, agnes, dorothy,---all these old names coming back i think should be left behind!

there are so many more i hear people like and i just cant wrap my head around how or why!

#14 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:Music, names and my friends.

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:49 AM

Not a fan of the older names, my bf's family is full of them. Lucille, Edith, Hal. I'm just not a fan.
& the -son & Mc- names on girls. They're boys names originally & for that reason I wouldn't use them on a girl & because they're now girl names I won't use them on a boy. (There's a Kelsey in the grade below me & he gets tormented for his name sooo much).
Unisex names I'm not a huge fan of, last names as first names (I go to school with an O'Brien. I find that a horrible thing to name your child), & creative spellings. Unless there's a reason for the difference in spelling (Sioux from Sue, after the Indian tribe) leave it be.

I think that's it.

#15 Elena Mae

Elena Mae

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Interests:writing, poetry, classical and ancient history, photography

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:41 AM

I can't stand Alexandra/Alexander for some reason, but everyone seems to like them. Alexandra was always common at my school, and now I've grown to hate it. Similarly, there's Shannon, Megan, Emma... They just seem so common, and it's beginning to annoy me!

Karly and Jodie are names that strike a chord with me for bad reasons, and I could never like them now.

Quinn and Mackenzie are all in the unisex side that I hate. Bree as well, though it isn't unisex. No idea why, but I can't stand them...

For boys... Elliot... I think that might be it, actually. At least on the level of complete loathing...

... Except maybe Carl...

There are a few others, like Elaina, but only when it's spelt Elena. Though, that could be a gruge against the amount of times I've been called this.

Blade, as well, but only on a girl. Yes, on a girl. I have a friend with that as her middle name, and it bugs the living daylights out of me!

... I think that's it, but I'll probably come up with more if I think about it...

#16 Strawberry

Strawberry

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:43 AM

I don't like the names Lindsay, Jennifer, Amanda, Erin and I believe it is not so much the names as it is the negative associations with various people. Britney, Tiffany and Kimberley are also on my no no list because of people I've met. I also am not a fan of Emily, Emma, Brooke and Olivia because those names are everywhere now. The abundance of them amazes me. I personally am not a fan of names that were once solely last names but now are used as first names. Mackenzie will always sound like a last name and McKenzii just looks stupid and made up. Creative spellings bother me in general. You like how the name sounds and that is why you like it. Dru is not Drew. That one drives me insane. I loathe the names Connor, Spencer and Chase. Also anyone who is using a Twilight name I just shake my head at because those names are everywhere. Renesmee falls under the made up names category and it does not sound good. I also think that the world has a enough Michaels, Davids, Johns, Shawns, Matts and Christophers. They are out doing good work...we have enough. I grew up with 5 Shawns in my class! I just wish I could meet someone who does not know a Mike or a Chris or a Matt. Boys names don't seem to cycle as much as girls names.

#17 Judyariel

Judyariel

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 08:31 AM

I don't like:
Jaden (any spelling), Braden (any spelling), Braxton, Brecken
Brinley, Tinley, Briley (all spellings), any girl's name that begins with "Anal."
"Creative" spellings.

#18 Aleigh_Elizabeth

Aleigh_Elizabeth

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Hanging with my family<br />Music<br />Writing<br />Racing<br />Baseball<br />Football

Posted 16 July 2011 - 03:55 PM

The names I dislike the most are Ava, Ella, and Ethan.

#19 D3sire

D3sire

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:28 AM

Rosalie (Well I guess from Twilight...)

Quinn (It's okay as a middle name)
Oliver (There is only one O name I like--Onnie)
and Elias --eww! Sorry, I just don't like it. I'm not a fan of any ellie/eli names--expect for Elliott, which I do like)

Elodie, Oliver & Elias are all on my top 5! LOL! I also like Rosalie though the Twilight connection ruined it for me & I like Quinn as well. To each their own I guess!

I hate:

Gavin
Hunter
Logan
Aidan/Jaden/Caden etc.
Connor
Cooper
Dylan
Parker
Tanner
Weston/Easton etc.
Landon