Photo

Desperate for twin names that aren't too twinsy!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MattieG

MattieG

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 09:49 PM

Hi!
​So in September I am due to welcome two little girls into my family. I have a nearly 3 year old boy named Bobby (Robert Thomas John) who is named after prominent war photographer Robert Capa. Photography is everything to my husband and I and we would love to continue naming our children after photographers! But we cant decide on any girls!
​We were thinking
Vivian (After Vivian Maier)

Dorothea (After Dorothea Lange)

Annie (After Annie Leibovitz)

and that's it..... I kind of like Vivian and Annie but my husband is not so much of a fan, so any ideas would be welcome!

#2 MindelanSwoop

MindelanSwoop

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 12:41 PM

Have you looked at lists of women photographers?  There's one on wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia...n_photographers

Just glancing through, I really like June, Alice, Katrien, Lucia... maybe you are more familiar with these women than I am!  :)

You could consider other photography related terms too:  Silver, Sepia, Kodak, Leica....

#3 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 10:49 AM

I really like the idea of Vivian after Vivian Maier (love!).  However, I find Vivian & Annie a bit too similar sounding.

What about...

Virginia (Virginia M. Schau) - First female to win Pulitzer Prize for photography.

Marion (Marion Carpenter/Anderson)

Eudora (Eudora Welty)

You don't have to limit yourself to just female photographers, depending on your favorite photographer's names, a lot of masculine names and surnames can work for a daughter. Ex. Roberta for Robert Capa. 

Ansel (for Ansel Adams) although traditionally a male name, could wear well for a girl.

Noel (for Frank Noel) can also be spelled Noelle

I think it would be more important for the name to be after someone you admire rather than a particular name that happens to belong to a noted photographer.  Just be creative and find something you both love. 

• indi1993 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users