6 replies to this topic

#1 Mikaela Lewis

Mikaela Lewis

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:40 AM

Me and my boyfriend had finally agreed on Vera Grayce for our daughter due in March. We picked Grayce because of a loved one that recently passed whose middle name was Gray. However, now that we have been calling her Vera for so long we've been having second thoughts. Though other people's opinions didn't matter to me at first,so many people keep telling me that Vera sounds dated, and doesn't sound like a name for a child.I used to be in love with this name! And though I'm having second thoughts, I still feel that this is her name  :( I've even tried looking at some other names but none fit!

So any opinions on the name Vera Grayce Tessman?! And also, have any of you ever second guessed the name you decided for your child before he/she was born? Is it normal, or should I look for a different name? Thanks!  :)

#2 EmilyA

EmilyA

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:18 AM

Honestly, Vera is lovely! I don't like the spelling of Grayce but I see the connection. How about Vida/Vita? Or maybe even Veda/Vada? 

#3 Saffron

Saffron

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Photography, reading, raw cooking, hiking, and everything to do with taking the best care of my beautiful daughter <3

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:30 AM

I really like Vera! It sounds classic but also very unique, and I don't think it sounds dated at all. I also think it's good because it will age well with her, it sounds cute on a little girl and more sophisticated on an adult. Like EmilyA I don't love the spelling of Grayce  :blush: I do get the connection and think that's very sweet, though, but could you not just use Gray? I think that works lovely as a girls middle name :)

#4 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

I have a two month old son named Wiley.  Up until the day he was born I second guessed myself if maybe we should go with our #2 pick.  But we had already told everyone his name, which they loved, and everyone referred to him as Wiley.  No one really liked our #2 pick, Teddy, although I still have it on the back burner in case we have another boy one day.  Now that he is here, Wiley fits him perfect. 

I think Vera is lovely and I think it is perfectly normal to second guess your name choice. It's a BIG DEAL!  

If you think Vera is THE name for you daughter and nothing else compares, don't listen to what everyone else thinks.  They will love the name when they meet her. 

• Remy Hadley likes this

#5 Addison

Addison

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:53 AM

I love Vera!! I think people will warm up to it when they meet her :)

I think Vera Gray would be good as Saffron suggested. Gray makes it feel fresher, less dated.

#6 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:51 AM

I couldn't have said it better than Katie :) I second guessed Archer's name for a while before he was born, but I'd also already told everyone his name is Archer already. We got feedback and his name ranging from "What a cool name!" to "Oh..." or "Thats weird." Its discouraging hearing negative input... He so looks like an Archer now that I've seen him though and I'm glad we didnt go with our #2 pick, Roman. Now Archer seems to be growing on everyone :)

Its normal to second guess yourself. She will bear this name forever, it will be what everyone knows her by. I think Vera is so lovely! Go with what you love :)

#7 Mikaela Lewis

Mikaela Lewis

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:13 AM

I couldn't have said it better than Katie :) I second guessed Archer's name for a while before he was born, but I'd also already told everyone his name is Archer already. We got feedback and his name ranging from "What a cool name!" to "Oh..." or "Thats weird." Its discouraging hearing negative input... He so looks like an Archer now that I've seen him though and I'm glad we didnt go with our #2 pick, Roman. Now Archer seems to be growing on everyone :)

Its normal to second guess yourself. She will bear this name forever, it will be what everyone knows her by. I think Vera is so lovely! Go with what you love :)

Thanks everyone! :) I have considered using Gray as the middle name, however my boyfriend prefers Grayce, I think he hopes for the nn Graycie  :(

And thank you Katie and Remy! It's definitely reassuring to hear that I am not the only one who has second guessed their child's name before they were born. I have the feeling that when she arrives my doubts over the name will disappear, and hopefully Vera will fit her perfectly! :wub:  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users