#1 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts
  • Interests:art, reading, writing, dogs and cats

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:02 PM

I've really been like the name Alexander recently, especially as a first name (one of my favorite combos is Alexander Helios).

The problem is, I'm not a fan of the nickname Alex. If I ever used the name, I would want my son to be called Alexander all the time.

But I'm afriad that the shortening of the name is inevitable. Its quite a long name and people have a tendency to shorten names, even when they aren't long...

So what do you think? Do you think I could get away with using Alexander as a name without having it get shortened to Alex?

#2 Evy

Evy

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:05 PM

i think so! i love the name Alexander, but not the nn Alex. which is funny because thats my uncles nickname. :)

anywho, if you repeatadley call your child Alexander, people will catch on and call him Alexander too!

:P

#3 Rosie&Scott

Rosie&Scott

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:17 PM

I agree with Evy, I think that if you call him Alexander and correct people if they call him Alex, by the time he gets to school he'll correct people too. Although they'll probably always be that one person who uses Alex, some people love to shorten names.

That wasn't much help was it!

What if he grows up as an Alexander but he himself decides that he wants to be an Alex? Would you call him Alexander or Alex?
My mother still insists on calling me Rose!

Alexander is such a handsome name, I prefer it to Alex too.

Rosie

#4 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:29 PM

Thanks Evy and Rosie. You both make very good points.

I babysit a little boy named Alexander. His parents and his siblings call him Alexander---I've never heard them use Alex. But I wonder if he gets Alex at school...

Rosie, I would start by calling him Alexander, but it would ultimately be his choice. I think I would continue to call him Alexander unless it made him really upset for some reason. My little brother's name is Christopher but everyone calls him Chip except for my grandmother, who calls him by his full name. Its like a special thing between the two of them---he would have a fit if anyone called him Christopher, but he's fine when my grandma does it.

So I think it all depends. Thanks again, guys (:

#5 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 04:35 PM

I actually love the nickname Alex.

But, if you don't here are some suggestions:

Xan
Xander
Zander
Andy
Alec

~alyssa

#6 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 04:41 PM

I'm actually not a fan of any of the nickname for Alexander, but thanks Alyssa. I like the name just how it is

#7 Anna.

Anna.

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:26 PM

I agree with Rosie & Evy. If you start calling him Alexander from day one, everyone will catch on. He may get asked if he goes by Alex by teachers or friends though. As he gets older definitely give him the freedom to go by Alex with his friends if he wants.

#8 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 10:22 AM

I agree with Rosie & Evy. If you start calling him Alexander from day one, everyone will catch on. He may get asked if he goes by Alex by teachers or friends though. As he gets older definitely give him the freedom to go by Alex with his friends if he wants.

Agree

#9 Momo Cicerone

Momo Cicerone

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Interests:-Manga/Anime
    -Reality shows
    -Fanfiction (ages ago)
    -Books (Science fiction, Romance, Fantasy, Poetry, Adventure, Suspense, etc)
    -Shopping (shoes -watched too much Sex & the City)
    -Movies (and popcorn)
    -Surfing the internet
    -Video games (ages ago)
    -Dogs (Have an Alaskan Malamute named Zoe)
    -Karaoke (could stay all night long)
    -Drawing (ages ago, already lost my touch)

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:29 PM

Well, the thing is, I have this wonderful way of avoiding awful nicknames: just ignore them! When people used to call me things I didn't like, I just ignored them to the point they thought I was deaf --until they started calling for my name, and I would turn around and smile: "yes?" It was kinda funny, actually.

But, I don't think this tip would apply in this situation, as we're not talking about nasty nicknames but dear ones. At the end of the day, it's really up to him whether to ask people call him by his full name or not. Anyways, Nicknames do also fade away with time. My friend Cecilia, who's been called chicken since childhood, is asking people to call her for the real name, and it's working.

#10 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:52 PM

I do love Alexander, and prefer just that. Though I don't mind Xan, I saw a movie with a boy named Alexander nn Xan and the boy was pretty cute, so I dont mind the nn. Though I definately prefer just Alexander too :)

But I agree with Anna, calling him ALexander from the start will let people know you dont want Alex as the nn, but as he gets older he may want nn's. My mom always calls me just Hayden, she greatly dislikes the nn's, but friends and whatnot call me Haddie/Had/Denny, so yeah. GL! ~Had

#11 Amanda Katherine

Amanda Katherine

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:I love music, musicals, art, writing, theater, names, making friends, and having fun.

Posted 15 September 2009 - 03:54 PM

I love the name Alexander, but I don't like Alex for short either. I think Xander is a cute nickname, and it's more unique than just Alex. If people start to call him Alex just say he goes by Alexander. Hope I helped :D

#12 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:45 PM

My name is Katherine but I've always been Katie...I always tell people to call me Katie and they do. If you call your son Alexander then he'll be used to going by that but I guess it would really be up to him if he wanted people to call him something else. But for me I couldn't really go by anything else, I'm just used to it.

#13 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:54 AM

I also like Alexandros. Very handsome. :P

~alyssa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users