Misspelled names (Tryndee?) = annoying or good??

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_KaylaKay_*

Guest_KaylaKay_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:36 PM

- Notice the babbling in the title.

Okay, so lately I have been seeing a few "Tryndee names" and I was just wondering what your thoughts were on the ones I personally have seen.
And any you want to add to the list..

:wub:

Kaylah (From someone who is named Kayla, this one really bugs me.. Dunno why.. But it does) I don't know anyone named this... I just heard the name.
Izabellah - My friends sister recently had a baby named this.. :wub: Izabellah Rainee (Me thinks.. HEHE {Insert 'sorry I'm hyper message here})
Aliksandra - I dunno if this is like Russian or something, but my teacher said she had a girl named this in a class a few years ago..
Ollivvia - LETTER OVERLOAD = Friend (Sorta) had a baby last month. Legit named this...
Medisyn - (Madison) Girl in my Science class...
Timothe - Not even kidding you - Guy in my Science class...
Leighayne - My librarians daughters name (Leanne)
Kai' dence - I think its like this.. Shes in my math class and she's really sweet. Its Cadence, and she usually just goes by Kay.

Thats all I can think of right now.. :/

Your comments??

#2 Mishada

Mishada

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:Stuff, I guess.

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:25 PM

This is a bit of a controversial topic, and I don't think I could say anything about individual names without sounding harsh. I'll just say that I find tryndee spellings (in general) to be downmarket. They also complicate things and make things harder to pronounce. I wouldn't use a trenndie spelling for my kids.

#3 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:50 PM

Kaylah I think is ok. It's not too over the top. It's kind of like Nora and Norah. I actually prefer h's on the end of some names.

I've never seen Izabellah spelt like that before, but I actually like it. I guess I can say that, because I never plan on naming any of my future children Isabella/Isabelle etc.

The rest I am not too keen on.

#4 Malligal

Malligal

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Art, Writing, Books, Movies, Music, Concerts, Travel, Maps, Road trips

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:12 PM

Okay, so I have some mixed feelings about this. For one, my name isn't spelled the 'usual' way either (although I think it's more common than the spellings you mentioned). It's Malerie instead of Mallory -- like Valerie with an M. I mean come on, unique spellings should be well-thought out. Most of those spellings are just ridiculous though.

Kaylah - This one's not so bad, especially if you have other kids whose names end in -ah and you want them to match.
Izabellah - Isabella is a beautiful name (my niece's name). Why would anyone want to change it?
Aliksandra - Same here, I think Alexandra is a beautiful name.
Ollivvia - LETTER OVERLOAD - agreed.
Medisyn - This looks like medicine to me.
Timothe - I can see lots of different pronunciations for this one.
Leighayne - Same here. (It kind of reminds me of Ayn Rand, so pronounced LEE-INE?)
Kai' dence - Why put an apostrophe in the middle of a name?

This is just my opinion, and I don't mean to sound harsh. If any of you like these spellings that's great for you. But it's definitely not my thing. I get that more and more parents are trying to be unconventional and unique, but I don't think you have to butcher the spelling of a name to achieve that. Instead they could choose an older name that isn't very common anymore, one that has a unique nickname, one that has a unique meaning, or some other word that's not usually used as a name. Understand that what's trendy now will probably not be trendy however many years down the line. You want a name that will age well as your child ages. Don't get me wrong -- sometimes unique spellings work BUT more often than not, it's just a disaster.

Above all, take your kid into consideration when deciding their name. Your baby will have to deal with others reading their name out loud throughout the rest of their lives. Sometimes it may be worth it to stick to a more common spelling and give your kid an easy time in such situations. But I'll admit that sometimes the slight change can add enough uniqueness without the potential problems. (This is where my mixed feelings come into play.)

I guess all I can say is... as in other aspects of life, KISS is a good rule to live by. "Keep It Simple, Stupid." Or better yet, as Leonardo da Vinci put it, "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."

P.S. I really hope I didn't offend anyone!!!!

#5 Zalivor

Zalivor

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:15 AM

Tryndee names (in my opinion) are annoying in every sense of the word. No offense to anybody that likes them or has one, but...

I. HATE. THEM!!!

Kaylah is fine, I think. Izabellah is...meh. Aliksandra I kind of like (Russian spelling of it <3). The rest...

<just kill me now> :wub:

#6 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:49 AM

I guess all I can say is... as in other aspects of life, KISS is a good rule to live by. "Keep It Simple, Stupid." Or better yet, as Leonardo da Vinci put it, "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."[/size]

Couldn't have said it better myself :wub:

#7 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:46 AM

I guess all I can say is... as in other aspects of life, KISS is a good rule to live by. "Keep It Simple, Stupid." Or better yet, as Leonardo da Vinci put it, [b]"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."

Ditto!

No offense to anyone, but the majority of names spelled like this look silly! :wub: It makes the parents look immature and uneducated to name their kid Kaylubb!

Of course, the english language has an exception to every rule :wub: Some names are similar to Nora/Norah and are correct either way! I don't mind when someone uses Hannah/Hanna, or Leila/Layla, Schuyler/Skyler (the first is the original, the second is technically the trendy one!).

But yeah, greatly dislike when people make things more complicated than necessary!

#8 Elle W

Elle W

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Art History, Astrology, Baby Names!, Board Games, Books, CAD, Cheerleading, Cooking, Etymology, Extreme Sports, Family, Fashion, Friends, Linguistics, Marketing, Native Americans, Philosophy, Psychology, SEO, Web Development &amp; Design, Writing

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:53 AM

Hehe I don't want to rant. I'll just say, these all get my official seal of disapproval. :wub:

#9 Zalivor

Zalivor

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:57 AM

Sorry for the little rant up there. :wub:

#10 Malligal

Malligal

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,005 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Art, Writing, Books, Movies, Music, Concerts, Travel, Maps, Road trips

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:16 AM

Aliksandra I kind of like (Russian spelling of it <3). The rest...

Okay, I didn't know that Aliksandra was the Russian spelling. That's fine then, as long as you have a good reason for the unique spelling.

Katie, I'm even cool with your friend who named her little girl Heidi Rayn. I'm not too fond of the spelling of Rayn but since the dad's name is Ryan, I get it. That's a legitimate reason in my book.

But changing I's to Y's and S's to Z's and Y's to E's or adding superfluous letters for the fun of it - just don't.

(Sorry for ranting again :wub:)

#11 Zalivor

Zalivor

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:35 AM

Okay, I didn't know that Aliksandra was the Russian spelling. That's fine then, as long as you have a good reason for the unique spelling.

Well, technically, there is no such thing as a "Russian spelling" since Russian uses a different alphabet, but usually Russians try to make the spelling as close as possible to the translation. (Of course, I'm not really qualified to tell you that since I'm not Russian, but that's my take on it :wub:)

#12 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 12,160 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:43 AM

I much prefer Kayla to Kayla{h}.
But that's just a personal preference.
I think it looks neater.. and prettier!

As for the others, I can stand Aliksandra {As it's the international spelling, which to me, is legitimate}.
I do prefer Alexandra myself.
Izabellah is simply annoying {no offence to anyone who does like it}.
I am a simple spelling kind of girl, I much prefer the original spellings of most names.
Ollivvia to me is ridiculous, as is Medisyn.
As Malerie stated, it just sounds like Medicine to me.
Timothe.. they might as well have used an apostrophe and added 4 'e's!
Timoth'eeeee.
Sheesh. Ruining a perfectly handsome name in my book!

Though, as far as these go they aren't even half as bad as some of the things we've heard on here!

Leighayne; I wouldn't know how to prn.
And Kai'dence, I would prn Kai {the name} - dense. {Rhyming w/ guidance}

I love Alexandra, Isabella, Olivia, Timothy and Cadence!
Why couldn't they just use the original spellings?

Well.. I can understand everyone having a different style..
But these kids are constantly going to have their names spelled wrong!
I'll admit there's a few names I prefer with spellings other than the 'usual', such as Lea over Leah, Giulia over Julia, Carys over Karis, Austen over Austin, Luca over Luka..
But all of those names, are legitimate ones..

Y'know?

#13 Malligal

Malligal

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:21 PM

I just heard a new one. I don't know if it's real or not, but I thought I'd add it to the list anyway.

Le-a pronounced "Ledasha"

#14 Elodies_Mummy

Elodies_Mummy

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Spending lots of time with my beautiful Daughter, Sewing, Reading, Crafting, Babynames, Cuddling my furbabies, Swimming, Cooking

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:34 PM

I really hate misspelled trendy names, they are hideous,
and make the parents look like idiots that can't spell.

#15 Mariel

Mariel

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:43 PM

I just heard a new one. I don't know if it's real or not, but I thought I'd add it to the list anyway.

Le-a pronounced "Ledasha"

I laughed out loud when I saw that! In eighth grade, English teacher gave a cupcake to whoever could figure that one out.
At the end of the class, he ate the cupcake :wub: no one got it!

Aliksandra I sort of get. My "Hebrew" name is Alecsandra... Even though it's Greek. Long story!
If its an international variation, I get it. Otherwise... NO WAY JOSE (or should I say, knoe wuai hoezei?)

#16 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

• Super Moderators
  • 12,160 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:20 PM

My hebrew name is.. well.. Yasmine!
Gosh darn it. (;

And Le-a {I've heard this one before} made me giggle.
Muahaha.

It's like calling your kid ".e"
Dotty anyone? (; ♥

#17 Mariel

Mariel

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:26 PM

Hahahah!
I read that "periody" and I thought to myself, "well, that's just like calling your kid a lifetime of PMS!"

At least Dottie is a real name. Ledasha? LMFAO

#18 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

• Super Moderators
  • 12,160 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:30 PM

ROFL! That was the more logical pronunciation... :wub:
Or fullstoppy.. but I thought Dotty was the cuter version of the three..

Or spotty to be honest.. (; ♥

#19 Zalivor

Zalivor

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:08 PM

After reading this, I've decided to name my children M@hias, &erson, and *.

:wub:

#20 Malligal

Malligal

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:23 PM

After reading this, I've decided to name my children M@hias, &erson, and *.

This made me think of that time when Prince decided to change his name to that unpronounceable symbol, O(+> (or something like that), so everybody had to call him "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince."

Or I guess we can leave it up to chance, and whatever letters I type when I bang my head against the keyboard will be my kid's name:
Aerjoptio :wub:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users