12 replies to this topic

#1 Paula Ann

Paula Ann

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:31 PM

i would like to get everyone's opinion on unisex names on little girls

list your favorites and not so favorites and why you think that way.. with the wave of all these unisex names i'd like to some people's opinions

mine for instance. i really like the thought of a unisex name on a girl

my favorites are

bailey
regan
riley
camden
cameron

lease favorites are

dylan
aiden
jaylon
jaydon
ashtyn

#2 rhaego

rhaego

Epic Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:46 AM

In general, I don't like them. I used to think it was the cutest thing ever until I realized that they're going to have to live as an adult with a man's name, which will cause so much confusion for the people around them. Plus, it will be frustrating when she meets a man. The guy will have to tell people he's dating Aiden, which will give everyone the wrong idea. There are a few that I still like anyway, though. Avery, Camden, Emery, and Chandler are some boy names that I like for girls. They are DEFINITELY male names, not leaning more towards females at all, but I can't help liking them on girls. I know it's not the greatest thing, but oh well. I would never actually name my little girls these names, though. Some names I dislike on girls are Taylor (even though that's probably the most popular unisex name), Austin, Peyton (I just hate the name, period, actually), Weston, Jordan, all the -ayden names, and there are probably more that just aren't coming to mind.

#3 Hannah

Hannah

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,785 posts
  • Interests:I love writing, reading, sports of any kind(my favorites being basketball & soccer), music, and hanging out with my friends and family.

AND, I of course love thinking of baby names even though that is a VERY far in the future thing for me because I'm still young!

Posted 10 September 2008 - 04:35 PM

I agree with Leanner, I know that it seems to be the new trend, but what if we keep doing this and all the male names start bringing images of women to mind, there wont be any true and strong masculine names left! I have to say I absolutely HATE Payton/Peyton for a girl or boy.

I like these though:

Riley
Bailey
Avery (my cousins name)
Regan
Camryn/Camerone/Kamryn
Jordan
Ashley

I hate these on girls:

Peyton/Payton
Austin
Ryan
Dylan
Dakota
Caden
Aiden
James (least favorite)
Luka (yeah i met a girl luka)
and even more I'm sure I haven't thought of quite yet.

#4 Smile

Smile

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:58 PM

I strongly dislike girls names on boys. I can handle Cameron however. THere are exceptions of names that I really love. None come to my mind right now. I don't mind Emery either and Ashley isn't bad.. I can't stand Emerson though> I don't like the ayton or aiden names. Or the Riley. I really don't like James. or Austin I have never heard and hope I never do.

#5 Kodie Lynne

Kodie Lynne

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:24 AM

I adore unisex names on girls. I don't see what the big deal is. I love Austin, Cameron, Riley, Reese, Payton, Jordan, Logan, Dylan, Ashton, and so on. They all make great girl names, and are still fine for use on a little boy. It doesn't make them feminine.

#6 Antelope

Antelope

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:03 PM

Sorry Kodie Lynn but I absolutely hate the names you listed!

I can tolerate:
Ashley
Hailey
Bailey
Kelly/Casey
Vivian
Andrea
Meredith
Cameron (this spelling only)
Courtney
some others...

I absolutely hate:
BLAKE
TEAGAN
AUSTIN
JORDAN
HUNTER
LOGAN
ASHTON
JAMES
REESE
-AYDEN
PEYTON
CAMDEN
RILEY (RYLEIGH, RYLEE, RIELEY, RIYLEIGH)
RYAN

Why don't people just name their daughter's Edward. I hate this craze so much. Tell me what makes these names soo CUTE!!!!

#7 Dominique

Dominique

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:16 PM

I'm really not huge on any of them. I think the Like and Dislikes list for me would be the same as everyone else's. I just think a guys name is a guys name and when I see a little girl in pink, a grown women with her kids or an older women I am just not going to see how calling her by a males name is going to fit or feel right. I mean we do make our names, our names don't make us, but really why name a little girl Peyton over something a little more feminine?

#8 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:I LOVE reading. I'm into almost every genre and generally read a book a week, if possible. I like Iris Johansen, Karen Marie Moning, Stephen King, James Patterson, Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, Diana Gabaldon, Kathy Reichs, and Robert Burns (every Scot's favorite author). I really love music and even got accepted to the Mason Gross School of Performing Arts at Rutgers University (my alma mater) for vocal performance. Unfortunately performance life was not for me, so I went into English Lit and French instead. Music is still a big part of my life, and I like a multitude of musical genres from Reggae to Rock to Opera. I've seen Carmen and La bohème each twice. (And I cry every time.) My husband and I also have a special place in our hearts for The Beatles.

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:39 AM

Sorry Kodie Lynn but I absolutely hate the names you listed!

I can tolerate:
Ashley
Hailey
Bailey
Kelly/Casey
Vivian
Andrea
Meredith
Cameron (this spelling only)
Courtney
some others...

I absolutely hate:
BLAKE
TEAGAN
AUSTIN
JORDAN
HUNTER
LOGAN
ASHTON
JAMES
REESE
-AYDEN
PEYTON
CAMDEN
RILEY (RYLEIGH, RYLEE, RIELEY, RIYLEIGH)
RYAN

Why don't people just name their daughter's Edward. I hate this craze so much. Tell me what makes these names soo CUTE!!!!

I am 100% with you on this

#9 Kodie Lynne

Kodie Lynne

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:39 AM

Sorry you disagree. To each her own, right? I just happen to find unisex names appealing.

#10 Kelsey

Kelsey

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Music, movies, friends, spending time with fam, etc

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:37 PM

I am not repulsed by unisex names, but some are just a little silly. Austin? I have never heard this for a girl. Logan, are you serious? That's taking it a bit far. Bailey isn't that bad or Cameron. And a boy shouldn't be named Ashley anyway. I have a "unisex" name, I guess. But some "male" names just sound better on girls anyway.

#11 Kodie Lynne

Kodie Lynne

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:01 AM

My name is Kodie, traditionally a boy's name (Cody), and I love it.

#12 tjallison

tjallison

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:41 PM

I LOVE unisex names (for either). As you can see from my signature, both of my girls have boys names.

#13 tjallison

tjallison

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:42 PM

I am not repulsed by unisex names, but some are just a little silly. Austin? I have never heard this for a girl. Logan, are you serious? That's taking it a bit far. Bailey isn't that bad or Cameron. And a boy shouldn't be named Ashley anyway. I have a "unisex" name, I guess. But some "male" names just sound better on girls anyway.

I know a female Logan & I think it's cute. I know more female Bailey's than male ones. As far as Ashley goes, it's like Trinity, it was originally a boys name until someone came along & named their daughter that. Then it got picked up as a girls name.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users