11 replies to this topic

#1 Lilah

Lilah

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:09 PM

I seem to be very fond of surnames for boys lately. Here are a few that I love. I'd like to get your opinions.

Sullivan
Porter
Reid
Parker
Sawyer
Cooper
Edison

What do you think of names like these? I don't like trendy, common names, but I'm afraid that some of these are beginning to join that group. What are some other names that you think are similar to these? Some other names that I like are Camden, Colton, Leo, Logan, Samson, and Wyatt. I guess I like names ending with -N and -er.

Thank you guys for your help!!

#2 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:23 AM

I'm a bit biased, I think most my boys names are surname names, or at least names that are used as surnames sometimes <3

Sullivan - I am a fan, though I have many associations. Theres a road name in my town called Sullivan, and theres also Monsters Inc's Sully :P Its a good one though <3
Porter - I'm not huge on Porter, when I was little I used to call Port-a-potty's porter-potty's :') But thats just me being a dork. I think the names fine, just a weird thing in my own head lol!
Reid - I really love Reid, very handsome!
Parker - handsome, a name I'd love on someone elses kiddo even though I wouldn't use myself :)
Sawyer - love <3
Cooper - I really love Cooper! Though I'd check your states stats on Cooper if you don't want popular, in my state its pretty popular :(
Edison - very handsome <3

Hmm, I have Archer and Roman on my list? WDTY? :P I know people with these surnames.. lol. Calder's a fave of mine! A more unusual surname to use, but its familiar sounding in a way. Jensen's a handsome one! Hmm... I think I was actually reading through Nameberry when I found most great surname names.. They have a list of less common ones somewhere. I'd recommend giving it a look :)

#3 const3llati0ns

const3llati0ns

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:29 AM

I don't mind the surname trend. My favorites out of all that you mentioned are probably Camden and Cooper. Especially Camden. I am a sucker for the Cam's.

6/10 of the names on my boys list actually end with n;

Boston
Cameron
Dean
Daylen
Damon
Declan

for ER names I also like

Asher
Hunter
Roger

#4 const3llati0ns

const3llati0ns

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:31 AM

And to reply to Remy, there is a kid in my grade with the last name Sullivan, and everybody calls him Sully because his first name is so common.

#5 Addison

Addison

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:05 AM

The only one I'm not a fan of on your list as a first name is Cooper, and that's only because I know a few really rude and mean Coopers.

Sullivan has been a name I really love for a while, but, strangly enough like stated above, I go to school with a guy who's surname is Sullivan. He goes by Sully, too, because his first name is super common. It would just be awkward if I named my kid this, haha, but I think it would be adorable for anyone else's!!

I love Porter! I thought I was the only one :)

I don't think Sawyer, Parker, Cooper, and Reid are considered much of "surname names" anymore because they are so often used as first names. They are really nice names though!

Edison is handsome, but not my style.

Other surname names I like:
Ford
Tolliver
Sadler
Wilder
Jenson
Benson "Ben"
Benton "Ben"
Jameson
Auden
Monroe
Hayes
Sloane
& more....

#6 Mika Casey

Mika Casey

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

Sullivan: This is super cute, and "Sully" is a handsome nickname!
Porter: This name is cute, kind of reminds me of the name Harbor for a little girl. (:
Reid: I LOVE this name! Reminds me of Reid from Criminal Minds and he's super hot! Reid is a name I would totally use.
Parker: Eh, don't love this because it's getting trendy. I'd trade it in for the already mentioned Porter.
Sawyer: Despite this name's trendiness, I personally love it. It's edgy and wild! One of my GPs. (:
Cooper: This is my nephew's name, so...I might be a little biased, but I love it!
Edison: I met a little boy with this name at a preschool I volunteered at in high school...SOOO cute!

#7 Lilah

Lilah

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:33 PM

I'm a bit biased, I think most my boys names are surname names, or at least names that are used as surnames sometimes <3

Sullivan - I am a fan, though I have many associations. Theres a road name in my town called Sullivan, and theres also Monsters Inc's Sully :P Its a good one though <3
Porter - I'm not huge on Porter, when I was little I used to call Port-a-potty's porter-potty's :') But thats just me being a dork. I think the names fine, just a weird thing in my own head lol!
Reid - I really love Reid, very handsome!
Parker - handsome, a name I'd love on someone elses kiddo even though I wouldn't use myself :)
Sawyer - love <3
Cooper - I really love Cooper! Though I'd check your states stats on Cooper if you don't want popular, in my state its pretty popular :(
Edison - very handsome <3

Hmm, I have Archer and Roman on my list? WDTY? :P I know people with these surnames.. lol. Calder's a fave of mine! A more unusual surname to use, but its familiar sounding in a way. Jensen's a handsome one! Hmm... I think I was actually reading through Nameberry when I found most great surname names.. They have a list of less common ones somewhere. I'd recommend giving it a look :)

Thank you for your comments. I actually added Sullivan years after Monster's Inc came out, and then when realized that I could call him Sully, I laughed and thought about him lol. I love that movie. As far as Cooper, I haven't really heard it in my area.

Roman is on my list now. It was my grandfather's name and I think it's so handsome. I love the nickname Rome for it. I have never heard of Calder or Jensen. I like them. I will have to think about them, thanks :)

#8 Lilah

Lilah

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:49 PM

I don't mind the surname trend. My favorites out of all that you mentioned are probably Camden and Cooper. Especially Camden. I am a sucker for the Cam's.

6/10 of the names on my boys list actually end with n;

Boston
Cameron
Dean
Daylen
Damon
Declan

for ER names I also like

Asher
Hunter
Roger

I really love Cameron. That is on my list also, but it makes me nervous that there are some girls with this name as well. Hunter used to be on my list, but I took It off. I guess I just don't like the meaning of it, Because I love animals. Daylen is interesting. I would probably omit the Y though. But my full name is Delilah, so I like That it is similar to my name.

Thanks!

#9 Meghan<3

Meghan<3

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, writing, reading, animals

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:30 PM

I'm quite fond of surnames as first names for boys, too. It's a great way to honor family members. Of the names you listed, I especially like Edison, Colton, Leo, Samson, Wyatt, Logan, Reid, and Sawyer.

#10 Lilah

Lilah

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:26 PM

I'm quite fond of surnames as first names for boys, too. It's a great way to honor family members. Of the names you listed, I especially like Edison, Colton, Leo, Samson, Wyatt, Logan, Reid, and Sawyer.

Thank you. I think all of those my favorites as well. I couldn't choose. Right now they would probably be Sullivan and Porter. Some others I love are Amos, Abel, Basil (weird I know), Caspian (mostly a gp), Chance, Crispin, Destin, Easton, Embry, Mason, Logan, Paris, Romeo (maybe a gp), and Silas.

#11 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:01 PM

I like Sullivan, Reid and Cooper! Cooper is one of my favourite names!

#12 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

Thank you for your comments. I actually added Sullivan years after Monster's Inc came out, and then when realized that I could call him Sully, I laughed and thought about him lol. I love that movie. As far as Cooper, I haven't really heard it in my area.

Roman is on my list now. It was my grandfather's name and I think it's so handsome. I love the nickname Rome for it. I have never heard of Calder or Jensen. I like them. I will have to think about them, thanks :)

Glad I could help! :) Hahaha its such a cute association <3 Mm, its different not only per state but really by county and all.

Aw thats so cute!! I have the nick name Ro for it haha, so handsome <3 I love Calder but Mike veto'd it. Jensens really handsome <3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users