3 replies to this topic

#1 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

So I don't know if anybody is familiar with the show Game of Thrones (or the book series A Song of Ice and Fire that the show is based on), but it's one of my favorite shows! It has fantasy, dragons, great leading ladies ... all things I love in a tv show! But, I think my favorite part of the show/series is the fact that are so many characters, and so many have great names! Since watching the show/reading the books I have fallen in love with a lot of unusual names and I was just looking to get your opinions on these names and perhaps some suggestions for combos. Some of these names are strictly GP, but there are quite a few I love so much that I would definitely consider using some day!

Anyway here are the names:

Daenerys (Duh-NAIR-iss)
Arya (ARE-yuh)
Cersei (SER-see)
Sansa (SAHN-suh)
Margaery (Marge-uh-ree)

Sansa and Margaery are my favorites and the two I would actually consider in real life. Daenerys and Cersei and great, but I think just a tad too out there for most people, but I'm keeping them on my list as GPs. I could always use them for pets in the future! :P Arya is great as well.

So, what do you think of these names? Too weird? Or just weird enough? And do you have any middle names suggestions, particularly for Margaery :wub: and Sansa (but all are welcome!).

I've already come up with:
Margaery Louise
Margaery Grace
Margaery Rose
Sansa Jane (Jane is after my grandmother)
(mostly filler or shorter mn is all I can come up with. I'm kind of stuck!)

I find I've been really open with names lately, there isn't many names I don't like in some form so feel free to suggest any style! I've never worked with these names until just recently so I'm not sure what I will like!

Thanks to anyone who reads this/helps. :)

#2 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

Daenerys (Duh-NAIR-iss)- This sounds more like a surname to me more than anything, but might possibly work as a middle
Arya (ARE-yuh) reminds me of an off shoot of the name Aria. I could see it as a middle name
Cersei (SER-see)- Not bad, I could see it working better as a GP or a middle name over a first name though
Sansa (SAHN-suh)- Personally makes me think of that diet stuff called Sensa.
Margaery (Marge-uh-ree) is actually a real name but commonly spelled Marjorie or Margery instead of Margaery. The most well known example being Marjorie "Marge" Simpson from The Simpsons.
  • alyssa897 likes this

#3 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

Daenerys (Duh-NAIR-iss)- This sounds more like a surname to me more than anything, but might possibly work as a middle
Arya (ARE-yuh) reminds me of an off shoot of the name Aria. I could see it as a middle name
Cersei (SER-see)- Not bad, I could see it working better as a GP or a middle name over a first name though
Sansa (SAHN-suh)- Personally makes me think of that diet stuff called Sensa.
Margaery (Marge-uh-ree) is actually a real name but commonly spelled Marjorie or Margery instead of Margaery. The most well known example being Marjorie "Marge" Simpson from The Simpsons.

Thanks for the feedback! I never thought about the similarities with Sansa/Sensa before, but it doesn't bother me. I love the name too much! :D

I also never made the connection with Marjorie. I was never fond of Marjorie/Margaret and other similar sounding names so I never paid much attention to them before. What do you think of the spelling of Margaery? I think it's really beautiful looking and I love the sound/look of the "ae" (one of the reasons I love Daenerys so much). I personally don't think it's too extreme of a spelling. Not really trendy or different for the sake of being different.

Again, thanks! :)

#4 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

I'm not really a fan of the name in general but I sorta prefer the classical spellings Margery or Marjorie over Margaery, it looks a bit clunky with the GoT spelling to me personally.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users