12 replies to this topic

#1 VictoriaRose

VictoriaRose

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:21 AM

Okay, so Nick and I have sat down and looked at names and found that our taste in boys names is similar so that was a lot easier to narrow down! Our list is still pretty long but we would love any feedback at all! The baby's last name is Zeilsen (prn. like ZEEL-son).

Abram
Archer
Asher
Beckett
Declan
Dexter
Elliott
Everett
Ezekiel
Felix
Finnian nn. Finn
Gideon
Harrison nn. Harry
Levi
Micah
Noah
Oliver
Percy
Philip
Rhett
Samuel
Simon
Theodore
Thomas
Winton nn. Win
Zechariah nn. Zech

Thanks in advance!
-Victoria, Nick and baby :)

#2 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:26 PM

I would eliminate the names that don't really go with your last name first. Harrison Zeilsen is a bit repetitive (Winston has the same problem) and the S at the end of Thomas merges with the Z in Zeilsen so it sound more like one word (Felix has the same problem).

Personally I would eliminate all the names that end in -on/an/en because I try to avoid rhyming but it isn't a problem for everyone. If it doesn't bother you then definitely keep them on your list.

Abram - I love the name Abram. It is one of the few strong biblical names that is fairly underused in the western hemisphere. Bram is also a great nn option.
Archer - Archer is another great, underused name. It is a occupational name which are very in right now so he would fit in fine with all the Cooper's, Carter's, Parker's and Hunter's. But Archer also has the optional nn Archie which I think is super cute. Archer bridges the gap with its Modern feel/style and Retro sound. :)
Asher - Asher is very similar to Archer but its a bit more popular. Personally I prefer the sound of Archer, the Ash sound is much to similar to A$$ for my liking.
Beckett - Beckett is a nice modern choice and is rising in popularity. Personally I prefer the name Bennett. Beckett is a bit to feminine sounding with its similar sound to Rebecca and Becky.
Declan
Dexter - LOVE! Dexter, like Archer, is another underused option that bridges the gap. It has a great modern feel/style with its stylish X and -er ending (like Xander or Xavier) but it also has a Retro sound.
Elliott - Another great name! Elliott is another one that is rising in popularity thanks to the Ella/Elle names for girls. I think the nn Lio is super cute.
Everett - I like this name as well. It is very similar to Elliott but has the more masculine V sound that is both modern and classic/retro.
Ezekiel - ZEKE! I do really like this name, another great underused biblical option like Abram. However, I'm not sure about the alliteration with your last name Zeilsen. Sometimes alliteration can make a name memorable (like Clark Kent) but in this case both names are a bit complicated to say and I feel it creates a combination that would cause a lot of tongue ties...Ezekiel Zeilsen, Zeke Zeilsen...try saying that 5X fast!
Felix
Finnian nn. Finn
Gideon
Harrison nn. Harry
Levi - I think Levi is a great name, it combines my favorite part of Elliott (LEE) and the great V sound from Everett. Levi also goes great with Zeilsen.
Micah - I like Micah, but it isn't my favorite from your list.
Noah - Noah is a nice strong, biblical option. But it is a bit overused in my opinion.
Oliver - LOVE! Like Levi this name combines the LEE with the V and adds the stylish -ER ending on top of that. Ollie is also an adorable nn option.
Percy - LOVE! However, the -CEE ending clashes with the ZEE in Zeilsen making the combination blend into one word.
Philip - Eh. I'm not a huge fan of Philip.
Rhett - Rhett is a great underused, simple yet strong boys name. It also makes a great nn for Everett.
Samuel - Classic and biblical, however Samuel is a very soft name for a boy and you have some great strong choices on this list. Samuel in comparison with some of these others is just a bit boring.
Simon
Theodore - LOVE! Theodore is ANOTHER great, underused boys name. I think the nn Teddy is adorable on a little boy, however I personally prefer Theodore as a full name or middle name.
Thomas
Winton nn. Win
Zechariah nn. Zech - Are you pron. this like Zach/Zachariah? Or is it pron. like Heck with a Z? If so I could see it being confused for Zachariah/Zach fairly often. If you want it pron. like Zach, I would spell it with the A.

#3 VictoriaRose

VictoriaRose

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

Thanks Katie! I definitely agree with you about avoiding name that end in en/on/in, when we looked at the names we didn't really say them with the baby's last name.

I'm still unsure about Ezekiel because although it's my favorite name, I agree that it many be a bit too repetitive. Zeke Zeilsen looks odd to me but I still kind of like the sound of it. Nick's younger brother's name is Zane and it sounds fine although I'm not sure that Zeke and Zane aren't too similar.
Zechariah is prn like Heck with a Z. It's a family name for Nick's family and I quite like it although I still don't know about the Z.

#4 Meghan<3

Meghan<3

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, writing, reading, animals

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:47 PM

My favorites are Beckett, Elliott, Levi, Noah, and Theodore. I think these names are handsome and sound nice with your last name. Good luck!

#5 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 12,160 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:15 AM

My favourites off of your list are Abram, Archer, Beckett, Declan, Dexter, Elliot, Everett,
Ezekiel, Gideon, Levi, Micah, Noah, Oliver, Samuel, Simon, Theodore and Thomas.

But after all that Katie has pointed out, I agree that a lot of these don't work with your last name.
It's just a little tricky. I think Archer, Elliot, Micah, Noah, Oliver, Samuel, Theodore and Thomas are easiest to say with your surname.
But the ones I like best are Abram, Archer, Beckett, Dexter, Levi, Noah and Theodore.

You have some great names on your list! :wub:

#6 VictoriaRose

VictoriaRose

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:19 PM

Thanks everyone!

Okay so our condescended list is:

Abram
Archer
Beckett
Dexter
Elliott
Everett
Ezekiel
Levi
Micah
Oliver
Philip
Rhett
Samuel
Theodore
Thomas
Zechariah

#7 Talto11

Talto11

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:Love Love Love Babies:)

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:15 PM

My Favorites:

Archer
Beckett (Beck)
Everett (you could use nn. Rhett, since it was on the list too)
Levi (Would be a good middle name also)
Micah
Oliver

#8 VictoriaRose

VictoriaRose

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

I really like the idea of using Rhett as a nickname for Everett but is the spelling a stretch? I also really like the combo of Everett Levi :wub:

#9 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:04 AM

I really like the idea of using Rhett as a nickname for Everett but is the spelling a stretch? I also really like the combo of Everett Levi :wub:

I don't think so. I actually know a young boy (about 12?) who is named Everett and goes by Rhett. I think it is very handsome!

#10 VictoriaRose

VictoriaRose

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

We have come to a decision! Kind of...
We have decided that if our little one is a boy we're going to name him either Everett Levi or Theodore Elliott :(
We think that we're just going to wait until he or she is born and then decide if he looks more like an Everett (nn. Rhett) or a Theodore (nn. Teddy/Theo)

Thanks for all of your help!
-Victoria, Nick and baby :(

#11 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:21 AM

We have come to a decision! Kind of...
We have decided that if our little one is a boy we're going to name him either Everett Levi or Theodore Elliott :(
We think that we're just going to wait until he or she is born and then decide if he looks more like an Everett (nn. Rhett) or a Theodore (nn. Teddy/Theo)

Thanks for all of your help!
-Victoria, Nick and baby :(

<3 Everett Levi "Rhett" & Theodore Elliott!!! Great choices!

#12 VictoriaRose

VictoriaRose

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

Thank you so much! I'm so in love with both options that I don't know how we're going to choose!

#13 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 12,160 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:32 PM

I love both Theodore Elliot & Everett Levi {Though the latter bothers me for some reason.. Maybe it's just my OCD, but the recurring "V" sound throws it off for me}.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users