Photo

Two Babies. Related Families. Same Name?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 A.Camille

A.Camille

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Fashion, literature, sports, cosmetology, + daydreaming!

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:41 PM

So, here's the story: 

My sister's sister-in-law (in other words, my brother-in-law's sister) has a three-year-old son named Crew. 

I LOVE that name! Seriously, love it. It's definitely in my top 10, if not top 5. (I also love the name Cruz.)

I should mention that I'm a a few years away from having kids, but it's not incredibly far off in the future. My family and brother-in-law's family are somewhat close, but only spend time together for kids' birthdays and a few other select holidays (maybe Thanksgiving and Xmas a few times over the 8+ years my sister has been married). 

Just want to get your opinion on whether or not the kids (mine being hypothetical) are too close to share the same name. 

#2 boocue

boocue

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Interests:Science, Technology, Property Development, Names

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:22 AM

If you named a child Crew then your sister and brother-in-law's kids would have 2 cousins called Crew which isn't that bad. I have a half-sister called Corrie but I also have a younger cousin called Corrie and it seems to work fine. If you love the name then go for it, hope I helped.

#3 MommaMeg

MommaMeg

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Interests:I love....Reading, Napping in a Hammock, Playing with Nora, making Wyatt laugh, Walking my dogs, Singing, Watching Movies, Running, Wearing Sunglasses, Walking barefoot on soft grass, making my husband laugh, remembering good things that have happened in my life, writing short stories, thinking up baby names...

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:55 AM

I think it would be ok. The two kids are not actually related by blood, only distantly related by marriage. And they are also several years apart. In my family, my brother and my nephew (on my husband's side) both have same first name. Our family gets together fairly often, and it isnt any kind of problem. I think the name is very cute!!

#4 Addison

Addison

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:51 AM

I think that because you also like Cruz (which is super handsome, by the way), you should go with that. Having two Crew's is not like having two Aiden's or two Noah's; Crew was not even with in the top 750 names of 2012. If you still feel strongly about using Crew when you get pregnant, call your brother-in-law's sister and ask. The last thing you want to do is offend her and/or start family drama. It is proper etiquette to talk to someone if you want to use their baby name and it is highly uncommon. 

But with Cruz, I'd say go ahead without talking to her. :)

#5 SPKandZAK

SPKandZAK

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:30 PM

I don't think it's a big deal! If your sister and brother in law get too confused having two nephews named Crew, they could also be called Little Crew and Big Crew.
I have three cousins all with the name Lucia (although they are called Chia, Luce, and Lucia) and it doesn't get confusing.

#6 MissJay

MissJay

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:06 PM

I have definitely heard of a lot worse, so I don't think it would be too terrible. But, since you like the name Cruz as well that might help you avoid some of the confusion in the future. I personally prefer Cruz to Crew, it's very handsome. :)

#7 RR3

RR3

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:35 AM

my DS has a cousin 6 months older (on OH side of the famil) and a cousin 4 months younger (on my side of the family) both called Harry... their has never been a point where it has caused issue, in fact I think in 5 years my son has only met each one once

if it was brothers or close cousins I would think it a bit odd but they seem pretty distant and technically not related also Cruz and Crue are similar but still different name

if your set on Crew you could spell it Crue which I think looks better personally

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users