Jocelyn Caoimhe (keev-ah)
Anthony Jensen
Seraphina Dawn
Gwendolyn Paige
Dominic Mason
Christopher Logan
Juliana Soleil (so-lay)
Sean Elliot
Dahlia Everleigh EDIT: I changed it back to Dahlia Evangeline.
Sonia Juliet
Marcus Chandler
Delilah Mackenzie
Samuel Oliver
Leon Spencer
Allegra Katherine
Nathaniel Owen

Nicknames (I love nicknames so there are a lot): Liz, Zach, M.J., Ronnie, Will, Matt, Cora, Josh, Mac, Josie, Tony, Sera, Gwen, Dom, Chris, Jules, ___, ___, ___, Marc, Lila, Sam, Leo, Ally, and Nate. The three blanks are for the names that don't have a nickname: Sean, Dahlia, and Sonia. Quite a few of them have 2 or more possible nicknames.

I believe that all but three have their original spelling - Katherine, Everleigh, and Makenna. I have reasons for all three - I prefer the K tot the C since I knew a Katherine with the 'k' spelling, Everley/Everly both look like a misspelling of Beverly and I don't like Beverley. I wanted to Evelyn since I love that name, but I don't think it flows nicely with Dahlia. I like Makenna/Mackenzie even thought they are technically "masculine" names since I don't know anyone who would name a boy those names. I've also watching way too much Veronica Mars and love Mac as a nickname. Also, Sarai is the original name of Sarah and I think it is a nice twist. Caoimhe is Gaelic and that is the traditional spelling.

So, what do you naming experts think? Would they make okay siblings? Especially the ones in the first 10? What would you say my overall style is? Are there any that really stick out in a bad way?

#2 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:15 AM

I can see a similar style thoughout your boys names and a different but similar sort of style among your girls names.

I'd say the style of your boys names would be traditional but with a less common twist.
Your naming style for girls is somewhat what I would call trendy with Everleigh, Hadley, Makenna & Mackenzie but also swings toward the exotic/traditional twist with Sarai, Caoimhe, Soleil & Sonia, Dahlia, Seraphina.

But overall I think all the names go together nicely...except Dahlia and Delilah might be too close for siblings.

I also really like the name Cordelia but prefer the nn Cordy to Cora (its a BTVS thing)

#3 Mishada

Mishada

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:Stuff, I guess.

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:29 AM

I can see a similar style thoughout your boys names and a different but similar sort of style among your girls names.

I'd say the style of your boys names would be traditional but with a less common twist.
Your naming style for girls is somewhat what I would call trendy with Everleigh, Hadley, Makenna & Mackenzie but also swings toward the exotic/traditional twist with Sarai, Caoimhe, Soleil & Sonia, Dahlia, Seraphina.

But overall I think all the names go together nicely...except Dahlia and Delilah might be too close for siblings.

I also really like the name Cordelia but prefer the nn Cordy to Cora (its a BTVS thing)

That was the style I was going for with my boys names. I usually don't swing towards trendy names unless I have a reason, as I explained. If it makes a difference, two other alternatives I had for Dahlia Everleigh and Delilah Mackenzie were Dahlia Evangeline and Lila Persephone. I was told they were too much of a mouthful so I wend to Everleigh and Mackenzie as alternatives that everyone could pronounce.

Yeah, I didn't notice that before. I think maybe I'll switch Delilah back to Lila. Originally, I changed it because I thought Delilah looked more complete and Lila might get lost in all the Lily's.

I love Cordy too! I think I would end up calling her Cora and Cordy, depending on the situations. BTVS rocks.

THANK YOU so much for your help!

#4 -SassyCassie-

-SassyCassie-

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 633 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:08 PM

ike it the names my fave is Seraphina Dawn

it just sounds so pretty to me XD

#5 Mishada

Mishada

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 612 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:20 PM

ike it the names my fave is Seraphina Dawn

it just sounds so pretty to me XD

Glad you like Seraphina Dawn. Just a note, but I've made up "ideal" twin set names and if I ever have a G/G twin set (not likely, they aren't in my family), I want their names to be Seraphina Dawn and Gwendolyn Paige. Sera and Gwen. Cute but not cutesy. I really love names too much. :P

#6 ReadeAlexandra

ReadeAlexandra

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:08 PM

You know, the funny thing is . . . I used to think that Makenna was only used on boys because I know two boys named Makenna but then I came on here and found out differently. Makenna is actually a Hawaiian boy name.

#7 Mishada

Mishada

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 612 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:51 PM

I don't know anyone with the name Makenna. Makenna is a version of McKenna.

Here is what babynamesworld says about McKenna:Unisex
Anglicized Scottish surname.
Cionaodh (or Cionaoith/Cináed) gave the English name Kenneth.

Cionaodh is a personal name which is probably composed of the elements cion ‘respect, affection’ and Aodh 'fire, flame', a Gaelic personal name, originally the name of the Celtic god of fire. The personal name thus probably means ‘'beloved of Aodh’.

The "Mac-" prefix in Scottish names means "son of."

Ranks 228 on the Girls' SSA list. It doesn't rank on the boys' top 1000.

Here is what Behind the Name says about Makenna/McKenna:
Usage: English (Modern)
Pronounced: mə-KEN-ə
From the Gaelic surname Mac Cionnaith, which means "son of CIONAODH".

I don't know about it being Hawaiian... maybe it was on a different site. Basically, I consider it similar to Charlotte or Allison. I would never name a boy Makenna, Charlotte, or Allison even though their names are masculine in origin and have man/son in their meanings.

#8 D3sire

D3sire

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:20 PM

Eliza Jennette - I love Eliza. It has a very sweet, girl next door feel. I am not sold on Jennette. It feels very 70's dated to me. I think Eliza needs something softer and timeless. Eliza Josephine is a favorite of mine.
Zachary Dylan - Neither name is my style. It feels very 90's. They are well matched for style though.
Mischa Jane - I love Mischa. I also really like it on a boy. Mischa Jane works but I would probably pair Mischa with something equally as exotic. While I quite like the combo it sticks out amongst your other names.
Veronica Sarai - I don't care for Veronica. I have a bad personal association with the name. It also feels hard and clunky to me. I would pair Veronica with something softer to balance it out. Sarai is ok but I don't think it works here.
William Alec - I LOVE William. It is strong and timeless. I don't love Alec but its nice with William and the combo flows well.
Matthew Donovan - Matthew is just ok for me. I feel like I have heard it a million and one times and it really doesn't hold my interest. Donovan makes me think of the Olympic runner Donovan Bailey, I like it.
Cordelia Hadley - Cordelia is a guilty pleasure of mine. I love the potential nn's Cora and Delia. Cordelia Hadley is too much hard D sound which makes it feel clunky.
Joshua Maxwell - Joshua is like Matthew for me. It is a perfectly fine name but it bores me. I like Maxwell.
Makenna Eden - I love Eden but Makenna is too trendy for my liking.
Jocelyn Caoimhe - I don't mind Jocelyn. It isn't something I would use myself but I like it. Not a fan of Caoimhe. I know it is a legit Irish name but I don't care for the pronunciation.
Anthony Jensen - I like Anthony despite having a very bad association with the name. However I strongly dislike the potential nn Tony. Jensen is not really my thing. I suppose it flows ok but I see it more as a first and last name.
Seraphina Dawn - I love Seraphina though I prefer it as a middle name. Dawn feels very 70's to me.
Gwendolyn Paige - I love Gwendolyn, though I would only ever use as a mn myself. I really like the combo. Paige normally is not my style but it works really well here and has a Medieval charm.
Dominic Mason - I like Dominic. I think the two names are mismatched for style and there is too much M in this combo. Dominic to me has an exotic feel while Mason is not my style and feels very trendy. I would either pair a classic with Dominic ie. Dominic Joseph or another Italian name ie. Dominic Luca.
Christopher Logan - Christopher is my brothers name. I have a soft spot for it. However it feels very 80's/90's to me. I prefer Christian. Logan is one of my most disliked name along with Gavin. It just sounds .... harsh... trendy and to be honest it makes me think of a big dumb guy. That of course is only my opinion.
Juliana Soleil - Pretty. I love Julian too much to ever use Juliana but its nice. I like Soleil as well. I used to babysit for a girl name Soleil. I also like that it means sun in French. Great flow too!
Sean Elliot - Sean is not my style. It again feels very 80's. I grew up with a ton of Sean's (and various spellings) and it just feels mainstream boring to me. I love Elliot and I definitley prefer this combo in reverse.
Dahlia Everleigh/Dahlia Evangeline - I LOVE Dahlia. It has a dark, mysterious feel. Everleigh is too trendy for me. I love Evangeline and I love the combo Dahlia Evangeline which is on my list too.
Sonia Juliet - Not crazy about Sonia. It just doesn't do anything for me. I love Juliet.
Marcus Chandler - I don't like either name. Marcus again feels dated. Chandler only works on Friends imo. Mismatched for style.
Delilah Mackenzie - I love Delilah though I prefer Dahlia and they are too close for sisters imo. Mackenzie is trendy, not my style.
Samuel Oliver - Very handsome! I prefer this in reverse because I adore Oliver but it is great this way too! Hands down my favorite boy name on your list!
Leon Spencer - Leon is not my style at all. Spencer was the name of my late cat so good connotations for me. Mismatched for style/era.
Allegra Katherine - Pretty! I love Allegra! Great combo, nice flow. I prefer Catherine.
Nathaniel Owen - Neither name is something I would use myself but they work well together for style and flow!

I would group them like this:

Set 1:
Zachary
Joshua
Makenna
Nathaniel
Matthew
Christopher

Set 2:
Eliza
William
Cordelia