• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Laney

Laney

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Jem cartoon, ER, CSI: Miami, Full House, Sailor Moon (original anime and live-action), Flashpoint, Felicity, ID channel, Food Network baking competitions, MasterChef/MasterChef Junior/Junior MasterChef Australia, movies (mostly 80's and 90's), writing/reading fan-fiction, baking, vegan cooking, photography, traveling, cats, books and tv shows/movies about female murderers, swimming, bowling, drawing, surfing the internet, forensics, Netflix, 80's and 90's music, picture editing, shopping, coffee (decaf mostly, but I love mocha Frappuccinos too)

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:18 PM

Do you like your name?  If not, what would you change it to (if you haven't already changed it)?  

I have always hated my first and middle names (and my last name).  My real name is Amanda and I hate how popular and trendy Amanda was when I was a kid.   3rd most popular name the year I was born.   Hate the nickname Mandy too.  I don't get the appeal.   It was like every other girl at school had that name so I never had a chance to stand out.  When someone would call my name out, several girls would turn their heads.  Confusing and annoying!  Always told the neighborhood kids I played with that my name was something else.  The names would vary depending on which name I wanted to be called at the time.  Did the same thing at home.

I also associate Amanda as a bully, preppy, spoiled brat, or cheerleader name because the other Amanda's I knew were all those things and they bullied/abused me at school.

My middle name Lynn is boring, ugly, and not feminine at all.  It doesn't have that beautiful girly sound to it that I like.  Paired with my common first and last names, it's even more horrible and just about anything with -lynn in it feels overly trendy. Trendy, modern names and surnames/boy names for girls will always be horrible IMO.  I wish my name was something pretty and classic (and exciting) but not common.  An international variation of a classic name would be awesome as well.

My last name McDonald has always gotten me laughed at, teased, bullied, or all of those.   I have always been embarrassed when I had to tell anyone it and hated when anyone used it and I still feel that way telling it to people.

If I could rename myself, I'd probably have Helena as either my first or middle name, nickname Laney since I already go by Laney anyway.  Helena reflects my Latvian heritage and honors my late grandmom whose middle name was Helen.  I'm not sure what my new last name would be either.   I don't know if any name really fits me.

#2 IssieB

IssieB

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Interests:Names, history..mostly medieval and reading/writing fiction!

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:58 AM

I have always liked my name: Isadora Cecily because it's a different and I've never met an Isadora besides myself. Plus, I was named after my parents' favourite dancer Isadora Duncan and my great aunt Cecily who I absolutely adore! I've also cycled through about a million nicknames which is because my first name has so much potential that I could be Dora one day and Issie the next lol :) Cecily is quite pretty and again unusual plus it has special meaning!

#3 brimariiee

brimariiee

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,474 posts
  • Interests:My son, diamond painting, reading, exploring with my family

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:13 PM

My first name is eh. I never really liked it growing up.
I was going to be Brianna Joy or Shayla Marie and instead they switched the middles and for most of my life I wish I would've been Shayla instead, but I really don't think it fits me either. Idk what does.
I hated Bri or BriBri a lot growing up. I love Anna and have always wanted to go by that but I've never made the change and don't know how to get everyone to switch over, so I've just embraced Bri, that's what most people call me lately.
I also hate the mispronunciations CONSTANTLY. I don't even correct people. If someone asks, I'll tell them but otherwise I don't say anything.
To me...Anna is anne-uh and Ana is awn-uh, Frozen has just made it worse I'm sure! But I hate getting Bri-awn-uh, with a passion.

I love my middle name. I know it's a filler middle but I think it's gorgeous. I even like it as a first name. It's my aunt's middle name and she's also my godmother...a great role model and probably my favorite aunt honestly. I've also loved the connection to Marie from the Aristocats. She's one of my favorite Disney characters and I've slowly been collecting stuff with her on it.

The combo as a whole kind of sucks just because it is fairly common. I've run into multiple Brianna's with Marie as a middle name. Might be part of the reason I hate popular names myself.

I love my last name. It's not a super popular male name (top 1000) but it is out there so I love that I can use it as a future middle for a son.
There are no boys in my family with the last name (out of my cousins and I, my uncle and my dad only made girls) except for my adopted cousin and idk if he'll ever have kids.
I've definitely considered keeping my last name if I get married, probably will if I don't like his LOL, but I've also even considered giving my kids my last name, I've never had any issues with it!

#4 Holloway

Holloway

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:06 AM

I have weird feelings about my name, Julianne Susan but I go by Juli. I've always liked it but I've discovered that I hate the name Julie on other people. It isn't that its weird to have other people with my name, i just don't find it attractive which is odd cause I like it on me. My thought process is that I don't like it as a full name and prefer it as a nickname. 

Julianne as a full name I like a lot, I prefer it to Julianna which seems overly flowery. My parents named me after  a character in a bad Sci-fi TV show that they didn't even watch which I find hilarious. They were flipping through channels and stopped long enough to hear one of the characters names and they just  thought it was really pretty. Juli was kind of the default nickname but I got a lot of others Julie-Boolie to start then Juli-Boo, Ju-Boo, Boo-Boo, The Boo and finally Boo though my sister stuck with the Ju part and prefers to call me Ju-Ju, Juj, Jujie, Ujie, Eugene, or just Ju. As you can see names are pretty fluid in my family and nicknames are plentiful (I'll pretty much answer to anything these days) but the one nickname I never got but always liked was Annie and it was always right there so I never understood why it isn't much of a stretch.

Susan is an honor name after my father's aunt, she never had children and my parents decided to name me after her so she felt more connected to me. I know she appreciated it because she called me Juli-Susie for most of my life. I don't really have a lot of feelings about it I love my Aunt Susie and the name as an extension of her I guess.

I love my last name. It is similar to Wendell so relatively easy to pronounce and spell, plus its pretty rare my family are the only ones in our area with this last name. I don't think there's much else you can ask for in a last name.

#5 charmingbabynames

charmingbabynames

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 702 posts
  • Interests:Middle Earth, Narnia, Anime, Percy Jackson, Miraculous Ladybug, HTTYD, Tales of Arcadia, Star Wars, Disney, Marvel, The Selection, B99 / Writing, Reading, Singing, Digital Art

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:00 PM

Yes, I love my name very much. Growing up I didn't have any particular feeling to it, I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it. As I've gotten older I enjoy the rarity of the name, but the simplicity of it, it suits me very well and I wouldn't ever change it.

#6 Marvelous_Things

Marvelous_Things

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,670 posts
  • Interests:Movies, music, psychology, history, literature, anime, cosplay, and names.

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:44 PM

My name is Victoria Elizabeth. Growing up, I hated my name. To me, Victoria Elizabeth was a pretentious, ridiculous name among a see of Brittanys, Katelyns, and Jessicas. I wondered if my mom was trying to punish me for some reason! XD

I go by Victoria, and I was constantly having to tell people, "It's not Vicky." I also hated all the "Hey Victoria, what's your secret?" jokes. But most of all I thought that Victoria was a stuffy old-lady name that no modern young woman should be saddled with. Also, I hated that I was the only person I knew with my name, which I thought made me weird. I got over this as I got older, but I didn't really start to appreciate my name until I was in college. Up until that point, I had never met anyone with my own age that shared my name. When I got to college, I met two other Victorias, and none of the three of us went by a nickname. As I've gotten older I realized that Victoria is a classy, timeless name that ages well. It's also a connection to my family's past, since I'm named after my great-grandmother, who I never got to meet. 

I've always liked my middle name better than my first name. This is probably partly because I saw Elizabeth as a more "normal" name. My dad calls me by my middle name as much if not more than he calls me by my first name, so I hear it just as often. 

I like my name now, and don't have any great desire to rename myself. But if I did, I would probably choose Serena. It's a beautiful name, I like the meaning, and it was also another of my great-grandmothers.

#7 RaeMarieSmiles

RaeMarieSmiles

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Names
    Reading
    Writing

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:15 PM

As a kid I hated the name Rachel Marie because it seemed like an old lady name to me (probably because I was named after my great grandma and had that association) however as I have gotten older I have grown to like it and really appreciate the connection to my family.  Now my only complaints would be that it is always the mean girl in 90s movies and is pretty popular with people my age.  I like the nickname Rae, even Rach is ok, but I do get Rachie and Ratchet a lot which I don't like.

Marie I go back and forth on because it is kind of a filler middle name but I like the sound of it and the meaning that it has for my family as well as the middle initial M.

I don't think I would change my name but if I had to I would change it to Margret Jaime and go by Margo or Maggie.

#8 agallaher12

agallaher12

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:58 AM

I hated my name growing up because there were 5 other Alyssa's in my grade and we had to answer to Alyssa B. Alyssa C. Alyssa T. etc. and the awful misspellings and pronunciation were what I despised the most. Alissa, Allysa, Alisha, Ashley, Melissa, Marissa, idk where they came up with most of them. They also used to call me Assyla my name backwards. 😒 My middle name I've loved because it's also my moms middle name. Michelle. So it wasn't to bad. However I love my name. It was a lot better than the other options my grandmother, Aunt, and father wanted to name me.

#9 Riley_Jane

Riley_Jane

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Singing, Acting, Dancing, Writing, Names, Event Planning, Hiking, Fitness, Cooking, Baking, and Exploring new things!

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:53 PM

I have always despised my first name, Alicia. My parents pronounced it uh-LEE-sha, but I get about everything else you can think of. Allison, Alyssa, Alessia, Alice, uh-lee-see-ah, I get it all. And don't even get me started on how people try to spell it!

I go by Alia at this point in my life, and although I prefer it to my full name I am not super keen on it either. I have never felt that my name suited me.

If I were to change my name I would probably pick something more mainstream with easier pronunciations and spellings like Grace, Mary, Olivia, Katharine, Adelaide or Melanie. I also love how spunky Felicity sounds. 

#10 ColdwellKid1113

ColdwellKid1113

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Planning my future, thinking up names for my future children, Event planning, singing, dancing, genealogy, acting, teaching, swimming, art, history, church, hanging out with family and friends, and researching and making lists of baby names!

Posted 29 April 2017 - 12:15 AM

I was born Morgan Marie. I was adopted when I was 7 and changed my name to Morgan Elizabeth. The reason why? I love reading or watching anything about history. Plus I love older movies and tv shows. Even at 7, I didn't like the name Marie because of the bad connection to Marie Antoinette. Sorry, I am a history nerd. So I changed it to Elizabeth after Queen Elizabeth, Elizabeth(mother of John the Baptist), Elizabeth "Eliza" Schuyler Hamilton(wife of Alexander Hamilton), and Elizabeth Montgomery(Samantha on Bewitched).

Now, about Morgan! I was fine with this name until high school. My nephew(remember I am adopted, I have older parents and older siblings) and I are the same age, have the same color hair and eyes, both are tan, and have the same last name. His name is Alexander(nickname is Alex). So throughout school we always went by Alex and Morgan. First day of high school, our teacher called us the wrong name(he was Morgan and I was Alex). As hard as we tried to get teachers to call us by our correct names they would forget. By 11th grade, we were sick of it, so I made the decision to go by Morgan Elizabeth. It worked for a few days until my teacher refused to say or write out my full name. I shortened it to ME. People had already before called me Captain Morgan, Moe/Mo, Megan(this is because people didn't hear me or read attendance sheets correctly), they would spell it wrong(Morgen). After I shortened it to ME, I was called The Me Girl, Me Me Me, Emmy/Emme/Emmi. Emmy/Emme/Emmi turned into Emily which turned into Emily Elizabeth. I was also called MElizabeth which turned into MEliza or MElise or MEllie which quickly turned into Mellie and then horribly into Smellie Mellie. After that I have hated my name. I don't know if I would necessarily change my middle name, but I would definitely change my first name if I could. I don't know to what though. I love vintage, unique, historical, modern names! If you have any suggestions let me know! Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users