• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fotiholic

fotiholic

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

I'm in love with the name Nihlus (ny-lus) for a boy. Now that my husband is on board and we've decided that is our boys name choice, I'm curious to hear what people's reaction may be to it. What do you think of it? Does it remind you of anything? Conjure any thoughts?

#2 Meghan<3

Meghan<3

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, writing, reading, animals

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:09 PM

Hmm... I've never heard of Nihlus, and upon looking it up, the only thing I could find was that it's the name of some monster-spectre thing haha... (if you're not familiar with what I'm talking about, look it up on Google :)).

To be honest, I think that a lot of people would mispronounce and/or misspell Nihlus, and those aware of the spectre character thing may associate it with that.  I had to keep checking your original post to make sure I was spelling it right!  It seems a bit too unusual to work as a boy's name for me, unfortunately.

That being said, I like the sound of Nihlus and understand the appeal.  I love the 'Ny' sound in boys names... how do you like Nile/Niall, Niles, or Nigel?  I think those are all slightly less unusual choices that would fit a boy nicely.  

If you really love it, though, then I think it's a cool-sounding name.  Hope this helps!

#3 fotiholic

fotiholic

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:16 PM

Meghan<3, thank you for the feedback! Much appreciated.

The video game character named Nihlus that you found via Google was in fact the inspiration for the name (not the character himself, per se, but we just adore the sound of the name). I don't mind people recognizing the name from the game. Most likely won't be familiar with it anyways. 

My real fear was that people may relate the name with nihilism (which means "the rejection of all religious and moral principles, often in the belief that life is meaningless). I absolutely don't want the name of our son (if we have one) to be associated with "belief in nothing". I think the name and the word are different enough (the word has more syllables, and you hear the "h" in it), but my husband is concerned that they aren't different enough. What do you think?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users