Advice!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rachael.H

Rachael.H

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy spending time with my daughter, husband, and brothers! I like to watch football and I also LOVE to read and write. I am a newly minted college graduate with a bachelor's degree in both English Composition and Communications with a minor in English Literature. My main interest now (aside from my wonderful family, of course!) is attempting to write professionally. I would also like to try my hand at a little editing, and even potentially attempt to snag a job doing some PR work.

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:40 PM

Hello! My husband and I are expecting our baby girl on January 3rd, and we're pretty much set on the name Harlow Renée.

This is our first child and we're hoping to eventually have more, but with a name like Harlow, are we stuck having to come up with equally unique names for the rest of our kids?

I'm worried that coming up with more names to match the tone set by Harlow might be difficult.... Would it be strange to have the name Harlow alongside a name like Jason or Adam?

Should we reconsider naming our daughter Harlow because of a set tone?

I'm curious as to what all of you think!

Thanks so much!

#2 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:13 PM

I'm not into trying to match names with siblings and that kind of thing. I kind of think if you like a name then use it.

I think Harlow and Jason/Adam would be fine to use together.

Btw, Harlow Renee is adorable :blush:

#3 Rachael.H

Rachael.H

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy spending time with my daughter, husband, and brothers! I like to watch football and I also LOVE to read and write. I am a newly minted college graduate with a bachelor's degree in both English Composition and Communications with a minor in English Literature. My main interest now (aside from my wonderful family, of course!) is attempting to write professionally. I would also like to try my hand at a little editing, and even potentially attempt to snag a job doing some PR work.

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:53 PM

I'm not into trying to match names with siblings and that kind of thing. I kind of think if you like a name then use it.

I think Harlow and Jason/Adam would be fine to use together.

Btw, Harlow Renee is adorable :blush:

Thank you! It took us awhile to come up with it, but we really like it!

Jason and Adam were the boy names we had picked before we found out it was a girl, so if we end up getting a boy, we'd like to use them!

I really appreciate your input! Thanks :wub:

#4 Mishada

Mishada

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:Stuff, I guess.

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:15 AM

Harlow is definitely not to out there to fit in with a Jason or Adam. Girl names tend to get more wild/obscure than boy names anyways. I'm glad that you are looking to the future for names, I know one couple who feel trapped by a letter-theme and a theme is something I want to avoid. Plus, Harlow is similar to Harper, which is rising on the charts. Both names have strong associations with famous females. I really don't think anyone will see Harlow as too different compared with a more straightforward name like Jason or Adam.

#5 AutumnLeigh

AutumnLeigh

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 03:31 PM

I don't think set you should worry about the whole set tone thing. You name your babies what you want to no matter how they sound together.
I like the name Harlow, but I don't really care too much for Renee'.

#6 Rachael.H

Rachael.H

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:45 PM

Thank you! My husband said the same thing but I thought it would be best to get some outside input :P

And I'm glad you all like the name Harlow!

As for the name Renée, well.... That's my husband's grandmother's name. I wasn't too fond of it at first, but it's grown on me over time.

We had a deal; if it was a girl, he got the middle name, and if it was a boy, I got the middle name. So, as luck would have it, he gets first pick :wub:

I think Renée flows well with our last name (Kagasoff) so I'm not too worried.

And I think that it's relatively "normal" compared to Harlow, so as she grows up, if she decides that Harlow isn't professional enough or she just doesn't like it, she can go by Renée instead.

I'm really trying to think of the future here because although it's important that my husband and I both like her name, she's the one who'll actually be forced to live with it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users