• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:Music, names and my friends.

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:40 PM

Do any of you feel as though a name has to fit? Or does someone grow into their name?

Just curiosity begging the question.

#2 Jenna_Lee

Jenna_Lee

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:34 PM

I feel like a name has to fit to an extent, but if you pick a name and have it set for a while the child seems to fit their name, especially since you're calling them by it constantly. So it's a combination of both to me, I guess.

#3 Annie S.

Annie S.

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 02:09 PM

I think a name should fit to an extent. If you really really love a name, then baby comes out and you really don't feel like the name belongs to them, then that's not the right name. I don't think anyone should go and have a baby with just one name set in stone.Things change. They did for my mother anyways. She had doubts after seeing one of her babies.
But, yes, babies do grow into their names usually. After calling a baby something for a while, it usually starts to feel right.

#4 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:43 PM

My family seems to have a "this is their name" mentality and I seem to have adopted it unintentionally.
Our first son will most likely be Isaac but I've recently found myself questioning if he isn't. I love the name and I'd use it in a heartbeat but if he isn't that name, his isn't.
Martin refuses to hear of it and is positive that that is his name no matter what and refuses to talk names. We're nowhere near kids yet but I have this fear of not having another name ready if need be.

#5 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:58 AM

I'm not sure that you can tell when a baby is born if they will fit or grow into their name.  When I think about Wiley and my neices' and how each of their names suit them so well, I really think it is the other way around.   They don't become the name, I feel that the name becomes them. 

I questioned our choice of Wiley's name up until the last few weeks, I wondered if maybe we should go with our second choice, Teddy.  But in the end, I knew that we went with the right name for him, because it was a name that we loved and I think that is all that matters.

#6 xxThePumpkinQueenxx

xxThePumpkinQueenxx

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,712 posts
  • Interests:singing, writing, reading, psychology, science, math, forensics, children, going to church, being with my family and SEC football. War Eagle!

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:18 PM

I always feel like the name fits the child. I knew Aasyn was an Aasyn when I laid eyes on him and I knew I had chosen the perfect name for him and the same with Brantley. I struggled with Hayleigh's name because it didn't fit her and to this day I still call her something else before I call her Hayleigh (generally Clare, which is what I wanted to name her) 

#7 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:45 PM

Thanks. I have this set idea of what certain names "look" like. Martin says you can slap a name on a kid and it just adjusts. His examples come from his siblings who all have a nn they go by interchagably with the on their BC. To me that doesn't truly count because its the same as their name.
The one exception would be Lucy who is both Lucy and Hazel; even then she's more Lucy and less Hazel.

#8 Andy214

Andy214

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Music, Texting, Spending Time With Friends Family, spending time with my Ian <3, Exercising, Cooking/Baking, Iced Coffees, Meeting New People, Babies/Baby Names, Singing, Hugs, PJ's and Movie Days, Nature, Photography, Driving, and so much more.

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:32 AM

I don't have any kids yet, but we're pretty set on our first born son's name. I think it's a reasonable concern though, to question "what if this name doesn't fit?" A friend of mine is going through the same thing right now. She's pregnant with a baby girl and has changed the name three times now lol. I think she's in the "it doesn't fit" boat.
I've always had the opinion that the name doesn't make the person, the person makes the name. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users