• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Frogprincess717

Frogprincess717

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Sewing, Scrapbooking, a good book, Disney movies, cooking, knitting, crocheting, embroidery.

Posted 02 June 2018 - 07:40 PM

I am pregnant with baby number 3 who is a surprise baby.  We weren't planning on him/her.  I'm not out of my first trimester yet (only a week away) so I don't know my baby's gender yet.  And I'm EXTREMELY hopeful for a baby girl. My problem is that if I have a girl I have two grandmothers I'd like to honor by giving her their names.   But my husband was not in favor of the idea I had. 

Their names are Ruth, Floris.  So I was going to do Ruth Floris XXXXXX.  I thought my husband would like.  As we like "older" and "uncommon" names.  But his response was Ruth is  it too 50's.   So now I'm trying to combine the names into one, and I'm falling short.  All the "names" that are being created... are either too in favor of one or the other, too many syllables, and unpronounceable/hard to match a name to.

I've thought of doing two middle names but then it just becomes to wordy.  So my other idea was to find words made out of the two and/or choosing a name that had that definition or using the word itself.  As luck would have it Lotus is made out of their names.

So do I use Lotus or some other word and explain how it came about?  You can't even tell it comes from their names. This maybe our last baby, I'm not sure.  And it's not guaranteed that my next one(s) is a girl... I can't choose between the two names it's hard.  They've both passed away and they were both very important to me.  Any suggestions?  Am I overthinking? 

TL/DR  need to combine Ruth & Floris, to an acceptable middle name to pay tribute to my two grandmothers. 

• DanielleH likes this

#2 DanielleH

DanielleH

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 09:04 PM

Lotus is gorgeous!! I love that name! ❤

Have you consider an hyphenated name?

Floris makes me think about flowers, so what about a botanical name that starts with R? - ex: Rose

Names that start with Ru: Ruby and Rue

Names that end in th: Edith, Lilith,
Elizabeth, Meredith, Gwyneth, Judith, Annabeth,...

Starts with F and contains Th: Faith, Feather and Forsythia

Names similar to Floris: Flora, Flower, Florence, Doris, Iris, Gloria, Carys, Genesis, Ellis, Artemis,...

Ruth means "friend" and Floris "prosperous, flourishing":
-Amity "friendship"
-Dakota "friends"
-Philippa "friend of horses"
-Philomena "friends"
-Anthea "flower, to blossom"
-Blossom
-Thalia "to blossom"
-Fiorella "flower"
-Fleur "flower"
-Ianthe "violet flower"
-Leilani "heavenly flowers"
-Zara - "to blossom"
-etc.

Other ideas: Honor, Sky, Peace, Heaven, Vida (life in Spanish and Portuguese), Love,...

More suggestions:
- use their middle names
- consider the month they were born (if it was the same)
- think about their favorite flower, song, book, movie, animal, color, food, hobby, best quality (grace, mercy, winslow, patience, serenity...), favorite season,...
- pick the name of the city they lived in or a place they loved
- consider their nicknames
- Think about their job (occupational baby name)

Good luck!
  • Frogprincess717 and JennyB like this

#3 Frogprincess717

Frogprincess717

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Sewing, Scrapbooking, a good book, Disney movies, cooking, knitting, crocheting, embroidery.

Posted 02 June 2018 - 09:36 PM

Thank you so much for the suggestions time and effort you took to answer my question, it really means a lot. Thank you.  You gave me a lot of things I'm going to have to think about and talk to some people about.  Somethings I remember clear as crystal about one and have no clue about the other.  So thank you hopefully this will help me figure out this endeavor!.  

• DanielleH likes this

#4 DanielleH

DanielleH

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 04:36 AM

*I wanted to say Wisdom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users