6 replies to this topic

#1 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:10 PM

So my husband, who I have decided to give total control over a girl name, has decided he wants to give her a Japanese name, more specifically Kirino. What are your thoughts on this ladies? 

The name he really wants to use is Kirino Alouette, which I love Alouette, but Kirino? I'm so unsure and he has his heart set on it. He plans to use the NN Allie since both name are a bit heavy and theres no real nickname he likes for Kirino.

So, thoughts on Kirino Alouette?

P.S, as of right now, Alistair Carlisle is our pick for a boy.

#2 Addison

Addison

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:17 PM

I think because you gave him total control over the name, you should let him get what he wants. It would seem really overcontrolling to say he can pick whatever name and then decide his name isn't ok. Just a personal opinion. 

I think Kirino is cute, though not my style. It does sound very spunky, and I love that it isn't a name you hear everyday (in the US, that is). Allie is very light and cute, which is good. Etta would also be an adorable nickname. 

And I love Alistair!

• BabyNameRater likes this

#3 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:22 PM

I'm not objected to a Japanese name really, I'm just afraid she'll struggle with it in life due to mispronunciations, misspellings and such. I just wish he'd chosen one that was easier for Westerners. Like Mai, Hana, Aya, Emi or Noa, but hates all of them apparently.

#4 Addison

Addison

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:24 PM

Maybe suggest these to him:

Eri - means "blessed prize"

Haru - means "sun, sunlight"

Kayo - means "beautiful" (similar to Kirono, but a little more simple)

Mika - means "beautiful fragrance"

Ren - means "water lily"

Ryo - means "brightness"

Suzu - means "bell"

Sora - means "sky"

Takara - means "treasure" (could call her Kara)

Yori - means "public servant"

Yuki - means "happiness, good fortune"

I like Ren Alouette and Sora Alouette a lot. 

#5 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

I like Ren Alouette and Sora Alouette a lot. 

Funny you mention those two, because the only other two he liked were Rin and Sora but not as much as Kirino or even Manami (which was his second choice)

#6 Jenna_Lee

Jenna_Lee

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:48 AM

I think Kirino is nice, and the nickname Kiri could be cute also. Alouette is pretty, but the two paired together make a quite unusual/foreign-sounding (but pretty) name, especially compared to your other kids' names (I looked at your profile and noticed their names, which were both adorable! Do you pronounce Caia as cay-uh or kai-uh?) it doesn't quite seem to fit. I agree with Addison though, that you should let your husband make the decision since you said you would, but if you aren't quite happy with the name maybe try to persuade him a little? 

But a little story, I have a cousin named Annemarie, which my uncle chose but my aunt hated. I'm not sure if the name has grown on my aunt, but my cousin definitely has lol  ;) 

• BabyNameRater likes this

#7 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:43 AM

I think Kirino is nice, and the nickname Kiri could be cute also. Alouette is pretty, but the two paired together make a quite unusual/foreign-sounding (but pretty) name, especially compared to your other kids' names (I looked at your profile and noticed their names, which were both adorable! Do you pronounce Caia as cay-uh or kai-uh?) it doesn't quite seem to fit. I agree with Addison though, that you should let your husband make the decision since you said you would, but if you aren't quite happy with the name maybe try to persuade him a little? 

But a little story, I have a cousin named Annemarie, which my uncle chose but my aunt hated. I'm not sure if the name has grown on my aunt, but my cousin definitely has lol  ;) 

We pronounce is Kai-uh, Jenna  :) And I think Alouette goes very well with Caia and Magnus (Thats probably just me though haha) since they are of a more unsual style of names but Kirino is something totally different haha I do like it, I really do, but I'm so afraid that people are gonna make it a living H*ll for her for her in various ways :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users