• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:Music, names and my friends.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:06 AM

With Martin's love of Bjorn and my small obsession with mythology we've stumbled upon the name Torbjorn (TORE-byawrn) but the flow of James Torbjorn Baker seems a little off. Does James Thorbjorn (Thor-byawrn) Baker seem any better? Both are legitimate variations.

And what do you do when family/ friends hate what names you've picked? I'm not even naming a baby right now but I get so frustrated when my friends/family suggest trendier or more popular names for the combos we have. My sister suggested I use Marie or Chase for Blaire and "anything but Gawain" because he'll be made fun of for such an idiotic name.
At the moment I'm trying to remind myself that when I do me a child they'll have a name that both me and Martin love and they have both a "normal" name and a more adventurous one which is better than Devynn Marie or Tylyr Cheyenne. But its so frustrating. Thanks for listening to that ramble.

#2 Barbie

Barbie

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,617 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, sign language, riding horses, volunteering, working with children, and teaching martial arts!

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

James Thorbjorn Baker sounds great. Use what you like and don't worry about other's opinions. It is ultimately yours that matters.

#3 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

I like James Torbjorn. I think it actually flows nice with your last name. I prefer it to Thorbjorn, personally.

And, it's your choice for names, not theirs. Use what you like :D

#4 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:09 PM

Thanks ladies!!!
My mom said she'd die if I used any of the names I listed on her grandchild. My brother (who adores Leopold) said they'll get called freaks. It really bugged me. My dad is the lovely mellow one who doesn't care as long as he has a grandchild.

#5 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:32 AM

Thanks ladies!!!
My mom said she'd die if I used any of the names I listed on her grandchild. My brother (who adores Leopold) said they'll get called freaks. It really bugged me. My dad is the lovely mellow one who doesn't care as long as he has a grandchild.

I know the feeling. When me and Ben told my family that we were thinking about Teddy for a boy we got a lot of negative feedback. In the end we decided that we would use Wiley instead, but not because of the negative feedback, because we both decided that we liked Wiley just a bit more. I'm still keeping Teddy on my list for a second boy. My family said naming a son Teddy would open him up to a lot of teasing, but if you look at the SSA stats Theodore is rising in popularity and although there are several nicknames, I'm sure Teddy will be rising in use as well. I think kids will be a bit more accepting of unusual names since they have become more the norm. And no matter what you name you kids, they are going to have to deal with teasing at some point in time. Even with the very common and socially acceptable name Katie, I had to deal with teasing. What really hurt was my mom saying that she would HATE the name, but I have a feeling that if we did decide to use Teddy, she would come to love it because she couldn't help but associate the name with her grandson.

#6 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:52 AM

I actually know several Teddys so I didn't think the name was that odd. The only one I didn't really care for a Teddy whose last name started with Bear. So he was Teddy Bear to most people. At 12 he was thoroughly embarrassed and switched to J.T. Other than that I love Theodore and Theo.

And yeah, Lucy has a kid in her classes with some names that make me think twice but she thinks they're totally normal. I think there's a Sherrif which I thought was a spelling change of Sherif. Nope, his name is Sherrif.

#7 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:24 PM

I like the Thorbjorn one definitely flows better <3 I like it better!

I can't honestly say much on family disliking names... really, my parents may not love all my names but they wouldn't trash them on me. But I'd stick to your guns and ignore them <3 What matters is YOU and MARTIN like the names <3

#8 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

Thanks. Its really.my mom and my sister. And I shudder at what they would name children. My mom thinks Lemon is a fantastic name and my sister loves atrousciously boys names on girls. I will name my child what I want and they'll have to live with it but it is frustrating.

#9 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:55 PM

Mm, all you can do is say nothing to their names and request the same respect! Or at least down their names in a polite manner ;) Like "Its just not my style". Idk <3 Hmm :(

#10 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

I think if your name choices are on the unusual side it might be best to keep the names to yourself until the child is born and you have decided on a name. You obviously don't have the same style as your parents and most people so asking them for advice or sharing the dozens of unusual names on your list isn't going to do any good to be completely honest. But that's what the internet is for! Finding people with your name style that can offer help. Once you decide on the final name for your child then tell your family. They'll have to learn to live with it. :)
  • Mika Casey and xxThePumpkinQueenxx like this

#11 xxThePumpkinQueenxx

xxThePumpkinQueenxx

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,712 posts
  • Interests:singing, writing, reading, psychology, science, math, forensics, children, going to church, being with my family and SEC football. War Eagle!

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:16 PM

I think if your name choices are on the unusual side it might be best to keep the names to yourself until the child is born and you have decided on a name. You obviously don't have the same style as your parents and most people so asking them for advice or sharing the dozens of unusual names on your list isn't going to do any good to be completely honest. But that's what the internet is for! Finding people with your name style that can offer help. Once you decide on the final name for your child then tell your family. They'll have to learn to live with it. :)

I agree. This is what I'm going to have to do since I can't pick any "normal" names for my son :/

#12 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:17 PM

Thanks ladies! I might share their first name since (for most people) they're within the range of normal but I won't share their whole names until they're here and the papers are filled out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users