Two-Name Nickname for a Girl

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BrittanyLeigh_*

Guest_BrittanyLeigh_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:45 PM

My husband and I are trying to decide if we should name our daughter Lyla Katherine Hickey (and call her Lyla Kate, never just Lyla) or if we should go with our original choice of Haisley Katherine Hickey. My husband LOVES Lyla Kate, but hates the name Lyla by itself. I told him that it's inevitable that someone will call her Lyla. The reason we're leaning away from Haisley is that it is SO similar to Hailey and that is very popular. We don't want her to be confused with the 6 other Haileys in her class. What are your thoughts?

#2 Loren

Loren

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:52 PM

I'm not a fan of Haisley...it may not be, but it seems invented to me. However, I LOVE Lyla Katherine and think that Lyla Kate is absolutely precious! If she wants to be know as Lyla Kate as she ages, she'll correct people when they make mistakes...if it's a Dr.'s office or something who cares? It doesn't matter what you name your kid, there will always be someone somewhere that pronounces it wrong or uses the wrong name.

#3 katie.

katie.

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • Interests:Reading, watching movies, swimming

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:59 PM

I would name her Lyla Katherine Hickey with the nn Lyla Kate. It is very pretty, and if people call her Lyla you can just tell them to call her Lyla Kate. With Haisley Katherine Hickey, she will probably get called Haisley Hickey, which I don't think flows well.

#4 BrittanyLeigh

BrittanyLeigh

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:13 PM

Thanks for the help. Yes, Haisley is "invented". I wanted an "H" name and then I heard Paisley, so I added it together to get Haisley. We are definitely leaning toward Lyla Kate now that we have seen everyone's comments. My son's name is Finnegan Jackson and we love how unique it is. My husband and I both have really common names and don't want that for our kids. I was just worried that Lyla will either become really popular or that our daughter will decide that she only wants to be called Lyla because Lyla Kate is too babyish. And then my husband would regret it. I do appreciate your advice. If anyone has suggestions of other unique girl names that sound good with _______ Katherine Hickey (we have to use the middle name because it's DH's grandmother's name), let us know. We're obviously not decided yet! Anything that goes well with our current Finnegan (Finn).

#5 Anna.

Anna.

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:48 PM

My daughter's name is Lilah Kate, but she goes by just Lilah. I love her name and I think Lyla Kate is adorable. If that is what you want everyone to call her, just call her that from day one. You may have to make a few corrections along the way but I don't see it being a huge problem. Good luck :)

#6 BrittanyLeigh

BrittanyLeigh

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:30 PM

My daughter's name is Lilah Kate, but she goes by just Lilah. I love her name and I think Lyla Kate is adorable. If that is what you want everyone to call her, just call her that from day one. You may have to make a few corrections along the way but I don't see it being a huge problem. Good luck :)

Thanks! I love your other daughter's name too. Really cute.

#7 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,160 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:27 AM

I LOVE Lyla Kate. :) Not so much a fan of Haisley, I like just Hailey. :P

I agree with Anna on this one.

What about Hadley? <3

#8 BrittanyLeigh

BrittanyLeigh

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:04 AM

I LOVE the name Hadley and I think it sounds great with Hickey, but my best friend's sister just name her daughter that this past week. I would feel like I'm stealing it even though I'm really not friends with the sister and she lives 6 hours away. I don't think DH is as big a fan as I am. And I'm afraid that Hadley is getting really popular.

I really appreciate everyone's support of the name Lyla Kate. I think we're definitely getting more confident about it now.

#9 LiteBrite

LiteBrite

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 05:45 PM

I love Lyla Kate, it's adorable.

#10 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 09:36 PM

Lyla Kate is gorgeous and I dont think it is babyish at all, I think it will age nicely. I'm not a fan of Haisley and I really don't like it with your last name (I've never been a fan of alliteration in names) Sorry...I'd go with Lyla Katherine :)

#11 BrittanyLeigh

BrittanyLeigh

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:31 PM

Ok so DH and I have been talking and we are trying to see if Lyla Kate is definitely it for us. We thought about doing something a little more unique (since Lyla is getting very popular). We came up with Isla/Ayla (pronounced Aye-la). We both like Isla/Ayla by itself and with Kate. So now I'd like to know if everyone prefers Lyla Kate over Isla Kate/Ayla Kate?

#12 lucy

lucy

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Interests:I have 5 kids: Samara (Sammi), Kimberley (Kimmy), Lauren (Lolly), Bianca (Bee) and Jessamine (Jem)

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:50 PM

If you both like Isla and Ayla on its own and with Kate, I think you should go with that over Lyla. Once she starts school it's likely she'll prefer being called Lyla as opposed to Lyla Kate, parents can only dictate the name so much. If your husband hates Lyla by itself he needs to be prepared that she might come home from school one day having decided that her name is just Lyla. I think Isla is very nice and Isla Kate is lovely.

I much prefer Isla to Lyla anyway. Good luck in deciding.

#13 BrittanyLeigh

BrittanyLeigh

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:10 PM

Ok, so which spelling do you guys prefer? Ayla Kate Hickey or Isla Kate Hickey? I think I like the spelling of Isla better, but we worry that with either spelling, people will have trouble knowing how to pronounce it. Which seems more intuitive to pronounce as Eye-La? Or are there other spellings that I haven't thought of? I think I like the initials AKH better than IKH. But I like the spelling Isla better. HELP!

#14 BrittanyLeigh

BrittanyLeigh

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:32 AM

We are leaning toward Isla Katherine, but do you think we'll have trouble with people mispronouncing it? We don't want to have to deal with EE-la and IS-la her whole life. Also, do you like the initials IKH? Is Isla Hickey too odd sounding? I've had a comment about it sounding like "I love Hickeys" We know there will be teasing with our last name regardless, but we don't want to make it worse. My son is Finnegan nn Finn. How does Isla sound with Finn? Thanks for your help.

#15 sahd721

sahd721

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Interests:My baby boy, Brody.

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:46 PM

I definitely love Isla, and I don't think you'd have to worry too much about people mispronouncing it. Also, I think Isla & Finn sound great and super cute together... I love it!

#16 Lilah

Lilah

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:20 PM

I'm a little confused. Isla and Ayla are too completely different names. Isla is pronounced Eye-la and Ayla is pronounced the way it looks. Are you wanting the name to be pronounced Ayla, or Eye-la? I personally like Ayla better. I think Ayla Kate is beautiful.

#17 Ava Perez

Ava Perez

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:33 AM

Hmmm... I still like Lyla better than Ayla or Isla, but whenever I see Isla i think Isla Fisher, so I'll have to go with Ayla. Ayla Kate doesn't sound as nice as Lyla Kate, but it's better than Isla.
Also, with pronounciation, no matter what you name a child their name will be mis pronounced. My name is Ava (AY-VUH) and I've gotten Ah-vah , Ay-Vay , Ah-Vay, etc. There's really no safe choice if you don't want the name to be mispronounced.

#18 BrittanyLeigh

BrittanyLeigh

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:55 PM

Well, I thought I would give an update. We have gone in a pretty different direction. We love the nn Lyla Kate, but since DH doesn't like Lyla by itself, we cannot name her Lyla Katherine. We decided to go with Lorelai Katherine nn Lyla Kate. We are decided on the Lorelai spelling because we just think it looks prettier. We considered the more traditional Lorelei, but to be honest, it just doesn't look right to us. "Lei" to me has always been "lay" and "Lai" has always been "lie". Since we want it to be pronounced LOR-uh-lie, we will go with Lorelai. Also, the two "e"s in Lorelei just don't look right to us. Thanks for all the help. I think I would have gone with Isla if we had a different last name, but we decided that Isla Hickey was just begging for teasing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users