2 replies to this topic

#1 Antelope

Antelope

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 06:27 PM

I am looking over the polls and lately I have been seeing a lot of them. Especially very,very, very traditional boy names. Can you believe these people and then their are dozens of comments saying a name is precious. I just can't believe it. What do you guys think.

#2 Dominique

Dominique

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:34 PM

I personally do not care for unisex names very much. There are a few that I think are alright like Bailey and Riley on a girl, but thats just about it. I just don't see the appeal in them, but everyone has their cup of tea and those just aren't mine.

#3 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:I LOVE reading. I'm into almost every genre and generally read a book a week, if possible. I like Iris Johansen, Karen Marie Moning, Stephen King, James Patterson, Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, Diana Gabaldon, Kathy Reichs, and Robert Burns (every Scot's favorite author). I really love music and even got accepted to the Mason Gross School of Performing Arts at Rutgers University (my alma mater) for vocal performance. Unfortunately performance life was not for me, so I went into English Lit and French instead. Music is still a big part of my life, and I like a multitude of musical genres from Reggae to Rock to Opera. I've seen Carmen and La bohème each twice. (And I cry every time.) My husband and I also have a special place in our hearts for The Beatles.

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:57 PM

I like to think I have a different perspective on unisex names then most traditionalists. I've live in UK and currently in the States, and from what I've seen people here in the States are all about making themselves unique, since most people living here have your traditional English or Anglicized version of foreign names. I grew up knowing a Leslie, Lindsey, and Darcy - all 3 were boys. They lived in England, where these names are traditionally male. Not to bash my own country, but it seems people in the States are generally the first to convert clear cut male English first names, or even surnames, and use them on their daughters. I don't know if it's still a rebellious streak that, like a teenager, we need to do something drastic to separate us from the mother-land or whatever. I mean James on a girl? Are you kidding me?! In any language there is a clear cute Masculine or Feminine possession of a word. The same holds true with names. Some people don't like to think about gender identification coming from something as simple as a first name, but that's not the way our multi cultural, multi lingual world works. There ARE rules in language, and YES names are definitely a vital part of any language. I'm a translator and can vouch that when I'm transcribing legal documents or contracts I NEED to know that yes, this letter is singed by a Mr. James Doe not a Ms. James Doe. People don't sign their names Mr or Ms. Grr!!

I know most people who like unisex names aren't going to change their minds after reading this, but I hope they AT LEAST take pause and consider the ramifications of the name they do choose.

Alright, I've said my peace. Sorry, if I've offended anyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users