5 replies to this topic

#1 Wildflowerchild

Wildflowerchild

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

I found some new names that I really am starting to like, and I really needed some more for my girls list to balance it out. So here goes:

Maisie

I really love this name for a little girl. I was worried it looked too "nicknamey." WDYT? Also, not sure which spelling I like: Maisie, Maisey, Maizey? Possibly Maisey Gwendolyn, Maisey Alexandra, Maisey Kyndall? Some combos would be great!

Alexandrea

This spelling or the traditional Alexandria spelling? Also, what about the nickname Andi?

Emilia

It's ancient and Shakesperean, an alternative to Amelia, but I love the meaning of this one so much more.

Arik

I've always loved this one, but I had it as a middle. Didn't realize how much I loved it as a first! WDYT of Arik Preston or Arik Matthew?

Stellan

Gawain

Since Gavin is increasing drastically in popularity, I thought I'd give this one a try. I really like Gawain Kendall. Thoughts?

Let me know what you think!! :)

#2 EmilyA

EmilyA

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 870 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:51 PM

Maisie- Are you pronouncing as if you would Macy or the England version? Maisie Gwendolyn would be divine! I love it! 

Alexandrea/Alexandria- Not my cup of tea but is a classic. Andi would be a cute nickname! Just glad to see something other than Alex. 

Emilia- Love this. I would use it if my name wasn't a variation. Love love love it. Emilia Jane would be so gorgeous! 

Arik- not really feeling this one, sorry.

Stellan- I want to like it but I can't. I think Kellan would be a nice alternative. 

Gawain- Nope, this either. I feel like there is a lot of teasing opportunities here. Maybe Gannon? 

• Wildflowerchild likes this

#3 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:Music, names and my friends.

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:43 PM

I have Gawain as a middle name on my list. What pronunciation are you using? I've heard three accepted variations.
I actually like Stellan a lot and I want to like Arik but it just looks like a creatyve spelling of Eric/Erik.
I like your girls names as well. I would spell Alexandria like this though. And Andi is an adorable nickname.

#4 Wildflowerchild

Wildflowerchild

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 765 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:16 PM

Thanks ladies!

Emily - I'm pronouncing Maisie as the English spelling I suppose ("May-Zee")?  And I actually really like Emilia Jane! Really spunky but down-to-earth at the same time. <3

Erin - I'm pronouncing Gawain as "Ga-Wayne." I love the Arthurian/Welsh pronunciation, then again, I'm huge on history and the Dark Ages is one of my favorite areas. <3 And I've had Arik in the combo Jonah Arik and I really love it, but I would love for Arik to be usable in the first name spot. What do you see at first glance - a "cre8yve" spelling of Eric or "Are-ik?"

#5 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:Music, names and my friends.

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:04 AM

You are the only person I've heard of that pronounces Gawain the same as me. I hear Gow-an (rhymes with Cow) or Go-ehn. Gah-wayne seems so much better to me. I actually really like Jonah Arik. I see Are-ik but I would think people would see Erik. But pronunciation is easy to fix when people say it incorrectly.
Maybe Alaric would be better suited to the first spot.

#6 Wildflowerchild

Wildflowerchild

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 765 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:45 PM

EXACTLY!! I hate when people pronounce it Gow-an. It sounds like an unfinished surname, McGowan or something. I've heard some people pronounce it as plainly as Gavin and say that it's just an old spelling when that's just a derivative of Gawain (rant over!).

I have always really liked Alaric with the (sometimes) nickname, Ric. I think I'll def give that a try. <3

Thanks for the input!!  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users