• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ßlush

ßlush

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:Paying off student loans & over-priced coffee.

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:46 PM

So, I was coming home today from class, and I saw a billboard on the interstate. Okay, admittedly it was for a funeral home...BUT! The word "gentry" caught my eye, and it got me thinkin'...could gentry work as a name? I played around with it in my head, and it sounds a little bit more like a boy's name, but it could be unisex I think.
Even if I wake up tomorrow and hate it, for the moment, I'm really excited about this name for some reason.(: I don't know...it just reminds me of a different time and place. Calm, southern - maybe a little bit Gone with the Wind-ish? Yeah, definitely.
Opinions?

#2 xxThePumpkinQueenxx

xxThePumpkinQueenxx

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Interests:singing, writing, reading, psychology, science, math, forensics, children, going to church, being with my family and SEC football. War Eagle!

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:56 PM

I kind of like it. :) it does have a vintage, Southern feel to it.

I also think of Montgomery Gentry as well. (Country group) :D

#3 EmilyA

EmilyA

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:59 AM

So, I was coming home today from class, and I saw a billboard on the interstate. Okay, admittedly it was for a funeral home...BUT! The word "gentry" caught my eye, and it got me thinkin'...could gentry work as a name? I played around with it in my head, and it sounds a little bit more like a boy's name, but it could be unisex I think.
Even if I wake up tomorrow and hate it, for the moment, I'm really excited about this name for some reason.(: I don't know...it just reminds me of a different time and place. Calm, southern - maybe a little bit Gone with the Wind-ish? Yeah, definitely.
Opinions?

This is exactly what I thought when I was pregnant with Hayes.

I had came across our 2 family names- Monty & Gentry- and I just merged them.

I think Gentry could stand on it's on and it would be a fabulous name, for a boy! :)

#4 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:30 AM

I don't care for Gentry, sorry! It makes me think of like, those people at the Chinese resturaunt in that christmas movie everyone watches every year where they emphasize R sounds in the "fa la la la la" song (cause asain people don't tend to say l's properly and replace them with R's?). I hope that comment doesn't sound racist lol, I don't mean it that way.. just the reference to that movie.. but it makes me think of Gently said by those Chinese people :) Not to say its necessarily a bad thing, but eh. Hope this all comes off properly :(

I guess it definitely sounds more southern, as you said :)

#5 Dorcas

Dorcas

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:37 AM

I also think Montgomery Gentry when I hear Gentry but it could be a boy's name. I think most surnames could be used for names, apart from maybe Smith!

#6 ßlush

ßlush

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:04 AM

Thanks, girls!

@lulut0xxic: I don't really listen to country music, so didn't know of the band. (I'd heard of it before, just didn't make the connection.)
@EmilyA: Oh, really? Great minds...! Haha. That's an awesome idea though - combining names. And yeah, I'm leaning more towards for a boy..
@Remy: It's fine! Ofc, I knew it wasn't going to be everyone's thing.(; Lol, your comment was funny to read...I could see where you would get that association with Gentry; but I've never seen that movie before actually.
@Dorcas: Yeah, you're right about surnames, and they're getting used more and more often here lately.

#7 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:45 AM

Hahaha oh dear, so you dont picture what I'm thinking :lol: its all silly, A Christmas Story is the movies name I think. The main characters lost their christmas dinner to some neighborhood dogs so they went to a resturant for christmas dinner... But all that was opened was a chinese place hehe. So the chinese gentlemen are trying to entertain the guests by singing christmas carols and they sang Deck The Halls... But with 'Fa Ra Ra Ra Ra' and all. Sillyness! :)

Sorry to be the debby downer not liking the name haha :P i do think it'd fit in with todays names, though! Surname names are all the rage- I'm caught up in the trend myself B)

#8 ßlush

ßlush

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

Haha, it sounds like a riot! And I can so hear what you're saying about the "Fa-ra-ra-ra-ra" bit. :D
Like I said, I know Gentry will definitely not appeal to everyone...maybe it's a southern thing? Lol.(; I do think it would fit in with the names that are being used currently, but do you think it could sound dated in a few years? :/

#9 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:22 PM

Your topic reminded me of a blog that I read. At Appellation Mountain she profiles Names of the Day, Gentry was the NotD on March 21st. --> http://appellationmo...the-day-gentry/

I think Gentry works nicely as a boys name, of course it has been used for girls as well. And I agree it definitely has a southern feel/charm about it.

#10 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:27 PM

Haha, it defintely stikes southern to me :) Im a New Englander though, so maybe that influences the name taste here ;) I dont see it feeling dated any time soon. Old fashioned names are in, and it doesnt have the dated feel of Susan or Bob or something. And again, bonus for being a surname name! :) Plus, even if in a few years the trend changed, he'd fit in with his age group x

#11 Mishada

Mishada

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:Stuff, I guess.

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

Gentry sounds pretty word-namey to me, and I pretty much dislike all word names, sorry. Normally I like sophisticated sounding names, which Gentry definitely is, but for some reason just can't get on board here. Also reminds me of butlers for some reason, not sure why.

#12 ßlush

ßlush

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

@Remy: Yeah, surname names have been in use for a loong time, so even if the current trend ends/fades, there will probably always be people with surname names. I don't think I need to worry about that too much.
@Mishada: Thanks for your input! I agree about the word-namey-ness...I couldn't decide if it sounded too much like a word and not enough like an actual name when I first saw it. The more I think about it though, the more it sounds like a name - at least in my head.(;
Also, maybe it reminds you of butlers because the gentry/aristocracy have servants?? :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users