3 replies to this topic

#1 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

So I came up with the name Marylark as a mesh of my grandparents first names (Lark Alfred & Mary Nell).

Then I was looking through one of my name books last night and discovered the Romani name Edingale/Edengail/Edengal...pron. (ED in gael) most likely a variant of Abigail or possibly Angeline (same route as Evangeline). I've always liked Gail/Gayle as a middle name for a girl, but I'm kind of liking Edingale (or Edengail) as a possible middle name now.

Seeing Edengail reminded me about an old name I made up, Eveningale/Eveningail and Evingale (sort of a play on Nightingale). Originally I was trying to find a way to get to the nickname Evie, but now I'm thinking Evingale, Eveningale or even Nightingale would work in the middle name spot.

There are several bird names in my family, Lark Jr. (g-pa), Lark Sr. (g-g-pa) and Dovie (g-g-ma) and my best friend is named Robin, so I've always liked the idea of using bird names in the middle name spot as a way of honoring them.

So, what are your thoughts on the following names for middle names? And which name/spelling do you prefer of the ones with multiple options?

Marylark
Edingale/Edengail (ED in gael)
Eveningale/Eveningail (EVE ning gael)
Evingale/Evengail (EV in gael)
Nightingale

More bird name ideas:

Starling (b )
Sparrow (b )
Wren (g)
Whimbrel (b )
Egret (b )
Hawk (b )
Linnet (g)
Phoebe (g)
Martin (b )
Swift (b )
Kestrel (b/g)
Falcon (b )
Piper (g)

#2 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:14 PM

As I said in last post, Marylark is cute!

And I love Edengail! So cute! <3 I'd kinda prefer Eden-Gail, it looks cleaner to me. But ethers lovely! <3

I do tend to love nature names/bird names and such! Starling, Wren, Linnet, Phoebe, Martin, Falcon, and Piper are all so lovely! <3 i feel like the others are best as middle names, but still nice <3

#3 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts
  • Interests:art, reading, writing, dogs and cats

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:17 AM

Marylark - as in my last post, I do prefer this one spelled Mary-Lark. I really like the sound though. Good middle name material

Edingale/Edengail - Love the sound, again, trying to think of a spelling I'd like haha. If you hyphenate this one, I think you'd get mispronunciation as EE-den-gail

Eveningale/Eveningail (EVE ning gael) - don't like this one as much

Evingale/Evengail (EV in gael) - I like this a little more than Eveningale, but not as much as Edengail

Nightingale - I could warm up to this one. All of these would make great middle names

In my opinion, most of these names are too soft/feminine for boys, but I do like the idea of using bird names for girls. I like:

Wren
Phoebe
Piper

• Katie-Nana likes this

#4 Mishada

Mishada

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:Stuff, I guess.

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:36 AM