4 replies to this topic

#1 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

So I've decided that Rue isn't substantial enough for a stand alone first name. Though I still like it as a nickname. I've been searching for names that work with the nn Rue and I came across three intriguing and very different options...

Ruby

I sort of like Ruby with the nn Rue but I'm not sold on it. It is the most mainstream/obvious of the three which means it is recognizable and easy to spell, without being overly popular.

Larue

Basically French for "the road" I like this one a lot but more for a middle name.

Eiry

Okay you're probably scratching your head about now. Eiry is Welsh meaning "snow" and is pron. [EYR ou]. I'm sort of intrigued by this name though I normally stay away from names that are difficult to pron. in English.

Thoughts?

#2 Meghan<3

Meghan<3

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, writing, reading, animals

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

Ooh, Rue is an adorable nickname!

I love Ruby! It's absolutely adorable and classic, in my opinion.

I agree... Larue would make a lovely middle name.

Eiry has a really interesting sound. Still, I think you're right... people would mispronounce it. Maybe you could use it as a middle name, too?

#3 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 12,160 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

Love Ruby and there's something really childish about it, which I can't tell if I really like, or... :)
I know a couple of Ruby's who's parents call them stuff like "Ruby-Rue". And it's definitely the most mainstream of the three.

Larue is an interesting option. Reminds me of the pop duo "La Roux".
Agree on it working very well as a middle name. I do quite like it though. For some reason, the name Lourdes also comes to mind.
[Irrelevant, I know, but hey!]

As for Eiry, at first glance, I wanted to pronounce it "I-ree". But I suppose it could be clumped with the likes of Niamh, Saoirse, Aoife, Eógan etc.
I have a friend called Irena who goes by Irie, which for some reason, Eiry reminded me of. I think that was why I wanted to pronounce it the same.

I think I like Ruby best as a first name and Larue and Eiry best as middle names.

#4 brittany111

brittany111

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:07 AM

hmm just on a brainstorm, do u like Rumer at all? Ruth, Bruna, Gertrude?
personally Ruby i think is the best of all for the reasons you stated. But Ruth could also work as it will age well.

#5 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:31 AM

hmm just on a brainstorm, do u like Rumer at all? Ruth, Bruna, Gertrude?
personally Ruby i think is the best of all for the reasons you stated. But Ruth could also work as it will age well.

I'm not a huge fan of Rumer. I did have Ruth on my list as a middle name for a long time but it doesn't appeal to me as much any more. Bruna is one I haven't heard of. Gertrude is a no. I have a thing about the "rude" sound in Gertrude, Trudy, etc.

Yas, I have the same concerns with Ruby. I'm not entirely sure that it ages well.

As to the pron. of Eiry...I found two websites that stated it is pron. [EYR ou] but then I found some more that said [EYE ree] so now I'm not so sure as to which is correct :\

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users