Ivee(:

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Animals and Baking

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:50 PM

Gatsby

Its different but I really like it for a first name.

What do you think?

#2 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:02 PM

Nms and reminds me of The Great Gatsby but would fit in pretty well with other surnames like Sullivan, Greyson, Harrison and such. :)

#3 EmilyA

EmilyA

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

Funny how this is a topic! I was just thinking about this! Saw The Great Gatsby today and LOVED it. I, as well, was toying with the name Gatsby. Hubby didn't really seem fond of it but most definitely James would work. May I add that Leonardo DiCaprio did an outstanding job of playing Mr. Jay Gatsby!
  • Ivee(: likes this

#4 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:13 PM

I think it's really great, but only if you're a big fan of the book. I just think it's so iconic and I really can't think of any other time Gatsby has ever been used than in the book so people would most likely think of the book.
  • ßlush and Addison like this

#5 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:53 AM

I ditto Alyssa, it definitely only works if your a fan of the book!

I read it in Junior year of high school and considered the name shortly, but even though I liked the book I wasn't head over heels so I don't feel I love the book enough to use it. Its definitely iconic of the book times a million <3 Definitely fits in with other surname names of today!
  • alyssa897 likes this

#6 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

I ditto Alyssa, it definitely only works if your a fan of the book!

I read it in Junior year of high school and considered the name shortly, but even though I liked the book I wasn't head over heels so I don't feel I love the book enough to use it. Its definitely iconic of the book times a million <3 Definitely fits in with other surname names of today!

I have a feeling Gatsby is going to be pretty popular in the next year (like it may even break the top 1000 for boys) especially if the movie does really well and gets nominated for a lot of awards.

I still think it's a really great name, but I just can't shake the image of all these people using it for their boy and people will say "oh you must be huge fans of the book/movie!" and they'll say "no, I just love the name." idk it makes me cringe for some reason. :/

#7 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

I agree. I can see it being a trendy thing, someone seeing the movie then naming their baby after it. I heard the movie was good but I've not seen it. I entirely agree with you though.

I ditto that as well!! It does bother me the idea of people using a name and barely knowing about the book. Which is why I wont use it, because I've read it once or twice but I'm not an over the top fan by any means. A great read worth reading again and again, but still not that knowledgeable :( Idk, its the same with a lot of names made popular by movies / books.. you shouldn't use them unless your really into it! Even if you heard the name from elsewhere... idk <3

This does remind me I should pull the book out and read it. Its been a while... 3 years! Haven't read it since Junior year in high school.. scary lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users