#1 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts
  • Interests:art, reading, writing, dogs and cats

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:53 PM

So I've been working on a original story, which I posted about a little while back. I thought I pretty much had my names down, but I'm second guessing my name for this little one

Posted Image

Right now, her name is Lily, though she's often affectionately called Lil. She's two years old and deaf, and she's usually very sweet but can get fussy because it's hard for her to always communicate what she wants. Her parents' names are Theodore (Theo) and Macey.

So for her name. I feel like Lily is too predictable and forgettable (though I may end up using it because I have gotten used to it and I love how she's called Lil) I want one of three options for her:

1) Another name like Lily, that's pretty and feminine, but can be shortened into a one syllable cute nickname

2) Something Spanish, because Macey is half hispanic, so I can see her perhaps wanting to honor a relative or her heritage. I have not thought of names for her mother (who is all hispanic) or any of her grandparents yet, so any name is welcome.

3) A more so trendy or unisex name. As much as I don't like these names myself, I want make the names in my story realistic, and right now trendy/popular and unisex names are quite common for girls. I think I'd want this one to have good nickname options too.

Of course, feel free to suggest names you feel fit her based off her appearance as well. Thank you!

#2 Jay.

Jay.

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:13 PM

The first name that came to mind was Lillian. You could spell it differently too to make it a little trendier... Lilyan, Lillien, Lilian, Lylian.... Then she can still be called Lil. Other names I thought of:
Madison "Maddie"
Claire/Clara "Ara"
Alisa "Lis"
Lorraine "Raine | Lora | Lor"
Samantha "Sammie/Ana"

Caedence/Candace "Cate"

#3 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:20 PM

Thanks, Jay. I did consider Lillian, but I figured I'd just use Lily if I were to go that route.

I'm not sure if you're pronouncing Alisa as uh-LEESE-uh or uh-LISS-uh, but I'm liking Alissa/Alyssa with the nickname Lis/Liss. Which also leads me to the name, Clarissa, with the nickname Riss or Rissy. I also considered using one of my favorites, Helen or Helena, with the nickname Len.

#4 Jay.

Jay.

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:24 PM

I didn't really pronouced Alisa when I put it on there, I just liked the look of it XD I also thought of Helen, but it made me think of Helen Keller, who was deaf and blind...

#5 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

I also thought of Helen, but it made me think of Helen Keller, who was deaf and blind...

Ooh good point, thanks for pointing that out. I think Helen is too old fashioned anyway. I really do like Alissa {Liss} and Clarissa {Riss} as of right now...I'm not sure if Alissa is too close to Alice though, which is her aunt's name, and she is very much a big part of the book. I guess I'll have to test drive a few of these names - she's still very much Lil in my head haha.

#6 Anny

Anny

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:06 PM

Mmh... okay, thinking of cute names with a hispanic touch.
Rosalie nn Rose/ Rosie would be my top ;) such a cute and classic name. or Rosalia Rosita, Rosalita?
Marielle/ Mariella nn Rielle, Ree
Marita nn Ria, Ree

Mmh, can't think of many for now. It has been a long day for me.

#7 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:43 PM

What about Lila(h) and you could call her La-La or something similar.

#8 Jenna_Lee

Jenna_Lee

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:46 PM

Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with the name that you already have. You've gotten a cute nickname worked out and you've written the story with her in it with the name Lily in mind, and when writing, though I spend a lot of time contemplating character names, with characters that I end up renaming, I always have a habit of calling them by their original name. *shrug* But that's just me.

#9 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:53 PM

Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with the name that you already have. You've gotten a cute nickname worked out and you've written the story with her in it with the name Lily in mind, and when writing, though I spend a lot of time contemplating character names, with characters that I end up renaming, I always have a habit of calling them by their original name. *shrug* But that's just me.

You make a very good point, and I must say I've done the same in the past.

I just wanted some fresh ideas to see if any popped out, but honestly, the more I'm thinking about it, she's Lil. I was thinking about using Liliana instead, so I guess right now it's between Lily and Liliana. {Though I kind of do like Clarissa nn Rissy/Riss, but I don't know if Riss is gonna "fit" her the way Lil does}

#10 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,160 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:17 AM

I think that "Lil" and "Lily" suit her just fine! Liliana is nice too.

What about these?

Lydia nn Liddy

Alison nn Liss

Lorraine nn Lore

Lynette nn Linny

Lillia nn Lil

Alessandra nn Liss

Eleanor nn Lenny

Louisa nn Lulu

Alexandra nn Lex

Olivia nn Liv

Leanna nn Lea