Photo

Which Irish name for a boy?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Irish Names for Boys. (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of these Irish names do you like best for a boy? And which one would you actually consider using?

1. Declan (12 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. Lorcan (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Cormac (6 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ~Nadezhda

~Nadezhda

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:38 AM

Recently, I've been falling in love with the name Declan. I think I could consider putting it in my name list at some point.

However, there are two more Irish names that I like quite a bit, and I can't for the life of me decide on my favorite.
If I pick one, then I'm sorry for ditching the other two.
That's where you guys come in and rescue me from my non-existent decision making skills.

I want to know which of these three names you like most [or hate the least] and why.

Also, I'd like to know which one you would consider using, or, if none of them appeal to you, which one you think would be the best for someone else to actually use. And why.
{How does it sound on a child? On an adult? Is there any teasing potential? How will it age? This kind of stuff.}
One last thing: Do you think the name you picked works better as a first or middle name? :]

Thanks in advance! ♥
--
Now for a little background on the names, which my inner nerd especially loves.

Declan:
*Anglicized form of Irish Deaglán, which is of unknown meaning. Saint Declan was a 5th-century missionary to Ireland. [behindthename.com]
*The meaning of the name Declan is Full Of Goodness [babynames.com]

Lorcan:
*Means "little fierce one", derived from Irish Gaelic lorcc "fierce" combined with a diminutive suffix. This was the name of a 12th-century archbishop of Dublin. [behindthename.com]
*The meaning of the name Lorcan is Silent Or Fierce [babynames.com]

Cormac:
* Means "son of defilement" from Gaelic corb "defilement" and mac "son". This was the name of a 3rd-century king of Ireland. [behindthename.com]
*The meaning of the name Cormac is Destroying Son [babynames.com]

#2 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:08 PM

I used to be madly in love with Declan :D I had Declan Micheal, Declan James and Declan George on my list, probably others also... It's an extremely attractive name, I think. For an extremely attractive man :)

I've never heard the name Lorcan before, but I can't decide on whether I like it or not :/ In one sense, it sounds soooo handsome! Yet on the other hand, it sounds dreary and like a villain D:'

As for Cormac, I don't care for it :L Maybe as a middle name... but yeah. It's not my style :)

~ Haddie

#3 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:38 PM

Cormac gets my vote. I think this name has two great nn posibilites...Cor/Cori and Mac. Its also just a great name!

Lorcan sounds like Orkin which is a major pest extermination company in the US. It also reminds me of Orc's from LOTRs. It doesnt have a very appealing sound to me and their arent any great nns either.

Declan is okay but I'm again not a fan of the sound. Dec reminds me of a Deck/Patio or another name for someone getting knocked out/punched is decked.

#4 Elle W

Elle W

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Art History, Astrology, Baby Names!, Board Games, Books, CAD, Cheerleading, Cooking, Etymology, Extreme Sports, Family, Fashion, Friends, Linguistics, Marketing, Native Americans, Philosophy, Psychology, SEO, Web Development & Design, Writing

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:05 AM

I love Cormac! It sounds so handsome. Like a little prince in shining armor. Lots of "strong" letters in there, it both strarts and ends with a harsh "k" sound, but its rounded out by the soft R and M.

Declan is a nice name, but I would never actually use it. And Lorcan sounds like some weird character out of a science fiction novel!

#5 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 12,160 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:15 AM

Declan and Cormac are my favourites! :]

Declan is just so handsome and very underused in my opinion! I think it's adorable. As for Cormac, names like these usually aren't on my list, but it's just so.. I don't know! I can't explain it! I love Irish names. Usually the slightly more popular ones, but this.. ♥

I also quite like the nn Cory or Mac -blush-

Lorcan isn't really my style.. I just can't see it on a person. No offence intended what so ever!

I think Declan wins SLIGHTLY though. ;D

Hey Nad, if you like these three what about Donovan, Macaulay, Finian, Lochlan, Conan, Pierce, Seamus, Ronan, Sullivan/Sully, Brennan (;D), Arthur, Finnegan, Dermot, Cian, Kieran, Trevor, Clancey, Flynn, Callum, Desmond, Tiernan, Nolan, Lennon, Oscar, Patrick, Cedric ?? ♥

#6 ~Nadezhda

~Nadezhda

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:22 PM

Lorcan isn't really my style.. I just can't see it on a person. No offence intended what so ever!

None taken, silly! <3

I really like Donovan, Lochlan, Seamus, Pierce, Finnegan, Desmond, Oscar and Cedric!
Though I think they just aren't my names, you know?
They are lovely, but I can't see myself using them <3

#7 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 12,160 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:56 PM

I know EXACTLY what you mean :] ♥

I've got names I love but couldn't ever use.

Freya and Autumn for example!

#8 Mishada

Mishada

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:Stuff, I guess.

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:55 PM

Definitely Declan! It used to be on my list. :) I prefer Lachlan (another Gaelic name) to Lorcan. The "can" portion just sounds a bit to harsh for me. The L in Declan and Lachlan seems to soften up the C enough. Cormac is alright, but I definitely like the other 2 better. Again, Cormac has a ton of the harsh C sound.

#9 Enchanted

Enchanted

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 534 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:13 PM

I love Declan its not over-used and its a cute boys name. Cormac is interesting, I think its growing on me, a more common middle name such as James or Michael would be adorable.

Declan is my favorite though.

#10 -SassyCassie-

-SassyCassie-

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 633 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:29 PM

Out of the three I love the name Declan the most :)

Always had a thing for the name Declan it just sounds strong brave and cute ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users