#21 Rosie&Scott

Rosie&Scott

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:50 AM

[font="Palatino Linotype"][size=3]
Do you have any nicknames? Yeah, my whole family calls me Pookie. Has since I was little. :/ Also, one of my friends calls me Aly, and then my best friends call me Eliza, funny story about that. :P
- Do you have nicknames that others have forced upon you? Yeah, Pookie :D
- Do you prefer your nickname to your full name? Not really. I kind of like Pookie, but definitely not in public and only by my CLOSE family behind closed doors! :lol:

My neice Charlotte's nickname is Pookie too, Alyssa! Hers comes from the comic strip Garfield, she was born on the same day as garfield apparently so she's his friend (Pookie is Garfield's cuddly toy for those who don't know)!

#22 Heather Leigh

Heather Leigh

Superstar Baby Namer

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:25 AM

Do you have any nicknames?
For the most part, the only nicknames I've had are Reds (b/c of my hair) or HLA (which used to be my initials). Sometimes people have tried to come up with others, but they've never really stuck.

- Do you have nicknames that others have forced upon you?
I suppose Reds was, although I don't mind it and actually have an ongoing joke with a redheaded friend of mine where she calls me "Reds" and I call her "Reds 2".

- Do you prefer your nickname to your full name? No

Do your kids have nicknames?/Do you plan on using nicknames for future children?
Ariella - Ellie, Elle, (Or, when she was little: Ellie May, Ellie Lou, Ellie Belly, Ellester)
Alexander - Alex, Al, Buddy, Bud (When he was little: Big Al)

Miles - I'm not sure if there's a good one for Miles (I'm NOT gonna call him Miley). I guess we'll see what nickname his personality brings out.
Azaria - I'm thinking of calling her Zara; Roger wants to call her Sunny and Ariella wants to call her Aria.

Do you prefer nicknames that derive from a person's given name, or something personal that comes from your character/a funny event etc?
Either one. It just depends. Growing up, I envied my sister, Melissa, because she had so many nicknames - Missy, Miss, Liss, Lissa and there really wasn't any nickname you could make out of Heather (except to leave the "er" off and call me Heath, which wasn't cute or feminine). So, I have naturally gravitated towards names that had nickname possibilities. However, I didn't really plan a nickname for Ariella or Alexander before they were born; they just naturally came about. Ariella is just too much of a mouthful to say ALL the time.

I do think it's nice to have a more professional or mature-sounding given name for when the child grows up. For instance, I have an aunt whose daughters are named:

Christina (nn Chrissy)
Jessica (nn Jessie)
Katie
Emily (nn Emmy)

Now, I think Katie is cute and all, but what if she decides to go into medicine, law or some other serious profession when she grows up? At least the other girls have formal names they can use on a resume. She doesn't. I think it would have been fine to name her "Kate" and then call her Katie, but, I just feel like some people are not going to take her seriously at first with a given name that sounds so little-girlish.

So, to sum it up, I think you can get away with certain nicknames as a given name, but others, not so much. Just my two cents.

#23 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts
  • Interests:art, reading, writing, dogs and cats

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:36 AM

Haha. I've been called Red and the Redheaded Devil (don't ask) my fair share of times. My little brother gets Red dog sometimes

#24 Heather Leigh

Heather Leigh

Superstar Baby Namer

• Senior Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:08 AM

Haha. I've been called Red and the Redheaded Devil (don't ask) my fair share of times. My little brother gets Red dog sometimes

The Redheaded Devil! :D Do tell! Just kidding.

#25 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts
  • Interests:art, reading, writing, dogs and cats

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:34 AM

The story's not even very good:

My friend Greg like to (jokingly) make fun of everything about me that he possibly can--his favorites being my height (i'm only 4'11'') and my hair color. Since I am pretty much always the goody two shoes Christian girl, he thought it was quite humorous to give me the nickname the Redheaded Devil because it is the opposite of my personality. (it might also have something to do with the fact that my other friend calls me her redheaded angel haha)

#26 Heather Leigh

Heather Leigh

Superstar Baby Namer

• Senior Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 01:21 PM

The story's not even very good:

My friend Greg like to (jokingly) make fun of everything about me that he possibly can--his favorites being my height (i'm only 4'11'') and my hair color. Since I am pretty much always the goody two shoes Christian girl, he thought it was quite humorous to give me the nickname the Redheaded Devil because it is the opposite of my personality. (it might also have something to do with the fact that my other friend calls me her redheaded angel haha)

I get it - it's like calling a bald guy "Curly". That's kinda like when we used to jokingly call my son "Big Al" (and strangely, a lot of people used to randomly call him that). He was only 6lbs 4oz when he was born and until recently, was always one of the shortest in his class. He's finally starting to get some height to him.

That's a cute story, Rose. :D

#27 soccerisluv(:

soccerisluv(:

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:21 AM

Do you have any nicknames?
Yes, Mase
- Do you have nicknames that others have forced upon you? not really
- Do you prefer your nickname to your full name? I like Mase in conversation, but not to introduce myself

Do your kids have nicknames?/Do you plan on using nicknames for future children? Maise/Macie would be May or Cici, but probably nothing. Matteo is Teo

Do you prefer nicknames that derive from a person's given name, or something personal that comes from your character/a funny event etc? I like both, but I think that nicknames derived from the name are more common and easier. What I mean, is that if your friends call you Shorty all the time, and then you move, no one at your new school would call you that. It just seems easier to go by a name-derived-nickname in everyday life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users