• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

I really badly want to honor my grandparents in a name.. I'm kinda stumped! I already have it chosen for a boy, middle name Nicastro or Nico. My grandpa goes my "Nick" after Nicastro because he was in the military and Nicastro's a long surname to repeat all the time. So it is PERFECT as a middle name.

See, I like to directly honor people. I don't want to be extremely vague like "well her name began with a B so I'll put a B within her name" or something. I want it obvious so I say the name and they immediately know I honored them. I don't want to use her first name and there are no ways to shorten it or anything to make it something I'd use. However her middle names Mae. Maybe using a Mae name? I'd love suggestions. Another thought... her best friend growing up was named Carolyn, which happens to be the name Mike loves. (which I prefer Caroline, but honestly in honoring Carolyn would honor my aunts Carol and Marilyn in a way and bring up fond childhood memories of her friend!). Would that actually honor my grandma though? Thats her friends name, not hers. So it could be fond memories, but not the same..

Nothing goes with my grandfathers name either, Richard. Which happens to be my uncles name and my fathers so it honors a millionfold lol. But yeah. Anyway. I plan on seeing her again soon anyway... any other ways I can honor her that you can think I should ask her about? Like idk, would using her favorite flower name or something be nice? idk... I'd just love idea's <3

Thanks!!

(ps. I HAVE read the previous posts comments and super duper appreciate them! and appreciate all that positive feedback I got <3 I've not ignored you!!)

#2 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:04 AM

My dad's name is also Richard. We aren't very close considering my parents split up when I was about 6 years old and I lived in a different state from my dad since I was 8. I don't think I'd ever really consider honoring my dad, but I do really like the name Dicken/Dickon/Diccon which is a variant of the name Richard. I've loved the name ever since seeing the movie The Secret Garden when I was younger. However, I'd be hesitant to use it as a first name because of the nickname D*ck. Dicky was actual my dad's nickname all through school, but it didn't have the anatomical connotation back then like it does today.

I like the idea of using a name with Mae in it. Ben and I liked the name Leona Evermay because it fit so well in honoring his grandmother Leona Mae. You could definitely come up with a double/combo name with Mae, like Annamae, Evamae, Rosemae, Mayrose, or even Mabel/Maybelle or Maeve. Also the month of May is named for the goddess Maia/Maya, which would be an interesting way to honor a Mae. (Maybe you could get Mike to agree if you said you really wanted to honor your grandmother.)

Here is a link to an blog entry you may like:
http://appellationmo...g-to-nick-nico/
  • Remy Hadley likes this

#3 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:57 AM

I think Carolyn Mae ______ would be really gorgeous. I find Mae works wonders to bridge two names together. Carolyn Mae could be a double first name or Mae _____ could be a double middle name. You could even switch it around to _______ Carolyn Mae _______ Mae Carolyn. Or Caroline if you prefer that spelling (which I do).

Some combos you might like:

Carolyn Mae Juniper (might be too month-y)
Carolyn Mae Phoebe
Carolyn Mae Piper
Zoe Carolyn Mae
Carolyn Emmamae/ Emma Mae
Amelia Carolyn Mae
Carolyn Mae Rose
Aurora Mae Carolyn
Carolyn Maeve
Charlotte Maeve
Carolyn Mae Eloise

*feel free to replace Carolyn with Caroline :)

#4 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

Actually, I REALLY like Dicken! Or Dickens.. like Charles Dickens. I'd definitely only use it as a middle name though, definitely has teasing potential :/ Ah and I do like the association with The Secret Garden <3
Annamae, or Mayrose seem really pretty and interesting! I adore Mabel and Maeve and Mikes really not digging it.. I'll have to see if I can talk him into it though <3 I like Maya / Maia, but I don't feel its a direct enough route :( I like it obvious and I think I'd have to explain that one to her <3
Ah! I love Appelation Mountain.. I'll defs give it a read!!

Aw Carolyn Mae something could be lovely too! <3 Its not a length double middle name either. Carolyn Emma Mae? Too much M <3 I way prefer Caroline but Mike is persistent about Carolyn and not Caroline. I say them different.. Care-oh-lynn vs care-oh-line (lyn rhyming with bin and line with mine).
I like a few combo's, have to bring them up to Mike!
Carolyn Mae Juniper
Carolyn Mae Phoebe
Zoe Carolyn Mae
Carolyn Emma Mae
Carolyn Maeve
Carolyn Mae Eloise

Thanks Katie and Alyssa!!
  • alyssa897 likes this

#5 Kristi18

Kristi18

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Name Games Moderator
  • 6,906 posts
  • Interests:Spending life with my husband.
    Cuddling with my kids.
    Hanging with my family.
    Enjoying God's creation.
    Laughing with friends.

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:23 AM

I think Carolyn Mae is adorable! :wub:
  • Remy Hadley likes this

#6 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,883 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

Thank you!! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users